Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mishaps, I still don't get it.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 11:13 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 836 Posts

I'm sorry...but the first pass was awesome. Isn't that the point of racing? To pass the driver ahead w/o contact or chopping? I saw neither.

Had he lost control over the pass & hit the inside Armco, oh well, his car is totaled. No one to blame but himself. But he didn't.

The second was a ****up for sure.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:23 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I'm sorry...but the first pass was awesome. Isn't that the point of racing? To pass the driver ahead w/o contact or chopping? I saw neither.
The only reason contact was avoided is that the passed car saw him, hit the brakes, and steered away to avoid him. I don't think the point of racing is to simply do whatever you want ("Watch me, here I come!") and expect that everyone will just be moving out of your way to avoid contact. Just IMO, of course.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:24 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

I disagree Dave. I see the same passing attempt twice. The first time the Cayman got lucky both in terms of what the camera car did, and how it turned out. The second time, his luck ran out.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:25 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
I disagree Dave. I see the same passing attempt twice. The first time the Cayman got lucky both in terms of what the camera car did, and how it turned out. The second time, his luck ran out.
Yeap......
Old 06-05-2013, 11:30 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hf1
The only reason contact was avoided is that the passed car saw him, hit the brakes, and steered away to avoid him.
Disagree. First of all, it was a braking zone, so of course he was on the brakes. Second, yes, he saw him...and gave him room. And the Cayman took a much shallower entry and used a lot more curb.

Would I attempt that move there? Doubtful. But it was an awesome pass.

The second one was similar but not the same...and the Cayman also out braked himself. IMO he should have taken his first success as a one off and let it be at that in the Bus Stop.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:33 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 853 Likes on 524 Posts

Scott,

So sorry this happened to you.

Originally Posted by hf1
That said, if I was the passed driver and had gone through the first "adventure" with the same car at the same spot, I would have been much more defensive and not given the Cayman even an inch of an opening to tempt him into a dive. Only place he would be able to dive into would have been the back of my car.
+1 as the first pass by this dive bomber would have told me to be careful even though the pass was clean. The fact that he did not get a 13 when he hit you from behind is ridiculous. How else is he going to learn that he put himself and you in an impossible situation?

I had a similar experience with another car in both races (same run group) and I simply ended up taking a defensive line and then let him pass. I still finished ahead of him as he ended up spinning in the first race and took himself and somebody else out in the second race.

Overall, I was impressed with the skill level in our run group, but then there were also some exceptions with people clearly over their head.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:03 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

First of all, it was a braking zone, so of course he was on the brakes. Second, yes, he saw him...and gave him room. And the Cayman took a much shallower entry and used a lot more curb.
First, he braked harder and steered differently than he would have had the Cayman not dived into the turn. Braking zones and steering zones are not excepted from the track rules (to the extent that said rules exist, that is). Second, the camera car gave him room in order to avoid being hit by him! Had he NOT given him the room that would have led to an inevitable contact and 100% fault would have been apportioned to the Cayman -- which is exactly what happened in the second video.

Honestly, and it may be just me, but I would pass on participating in a race series which would not only not condemn the first pass but encourage it by calling it "awesome".

We'll just have to agree to disagree, I guess. No biggie.

Last edited by hf1; 06-06-2013 at 12:39 AM.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:35 AM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by good hands
This is a great conversation and has lead me to posting my videos which at first I was hesitant to do. This is no way to call out the other driver but to get some feedback and opinions. In fact he and I talked afterwards and we are fine. First video is of a pass he took early in the race. I felt this was a little aggressive but he kept control and it succeeded but was it safe ? Second attempt is where we hit. Neither of us was given a 13 but the steward's opinion was I could have given racing room but his pass was also ill advised. I have no idea what his video looks like and would love to see his view of the incident. FWIW the Stewards never asked so see my video maybe because they didn't think I had anything to show ? A big rear view mirror sure does help. After his first pass I really didn't think he would try the same move again but I guess if it was successful the first time I should have expected it.

close call - YouTube

hit in bus stop - YouTube
From what i see they were not giving out many 13s at this event. That is a 13, No question.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:01 AM
Jimbo951
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Disagree.

In the first video, from 0:00 to 0:08 the rear car is behind. At 0:08 the lead car hits the turn in point (designated by extra wide paint on the left edge of the track). At the turn in point, the rear car is visible in the rear view mirror and appears to be behind.

The pass doesn't even start until the front car begins his turn-in.

The only way the pass was completed was by putting all 4 wheels over the first set of extended rubble strips. Then the left wheels in the dirt of the 2nd rumble strip, then blowing the line through the 2nd half of the chicane.

As others noted, the only reason the cars didn't hit was because the lead car changed his line to avoid contact.

Awesome - No.
Responsible - No.
Acceptable in amateur club racing - No
Legal - I guess so.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:04 AM
winders
Race Car

Received 888 Likes on 435 Posts

Sorry Dave, that first pass was not awesome. It was irresponsible. The only reason there was not a wreck is because the driver being passed refrained from turning in as much as he otherwise was entitled to do. This is a classic dive bomb pass that was just way to optimistic.

Scott
Old 06-06-2013, 08:52 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Oh, please. Yes, the driver being passed gave racing room. This happens all the time...because he could clearly see that the overtaking driver had a big run on him. I have been passed like that, there, more than once by much higher speed cars, and it sure did not bother me.

Would I do it? As I said, not bloody likely. Would I tell a client to do it? Also unlikely. But the fact that the pass was made, with racing room given by both, speaks for itself. No, it was not pretty. Yes, the margin for error was inches. But both cars took different lines and coexisted in there just fine IMO.

The second attempt, as I said, began slightly differently, as the overtaking driver waitted way too long to brake & did not have quite the run on the car being passed. Classic f-up. And the results speak for themselves.

HF1, I do not speak for the "series" so don't get all drama-queen here. I gave my opinion, as did others. NONE of us "speak for the series". And I by no means encouraged it. Nevertheless, I still think it was awesome.

Yeah, we will all have to agree to disagree.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:37 AM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MSTACH
OK here is a full recording from sprint 2 where I hit other 944 -
What u think about passing under black and late pit in?

http://youtu.be/ZKxoeBJqlpY
dude, i liked your driving. very nice. i think you did nothing wrong on that pass other than take a chance and come across someone without a side mirror who either didnt see you or didnt have regard for your presence, either way it was a chance you took and thats part of racing, nice job.

and not to be a safety prude, but if i could make one suggestion. dont do the whole disrobing, taking off helmet, ear pieces, balaclava, etc. while you're going down pit lane, into the cold pits and paddock where there tons of people, golf carts, safety volunteers etc. just hang tight 90seconds more till you get to your trailer/gargae, then do it. too distracting.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:14 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MSTACH
OK here is a full recording from sprint 2 where I hit other 944 -
What u think about passing under black and late pit in?
I saw that, and was a bit shocked at first, especially the late dive into pit. All I can figure is that he didn't think the black was for him, until realizing it was a multi-car incident.

Originally Posted by SkankyFrank
We have to keep in mind that the stewards are not making judgments on only the information we see here, they also speak with the drivers involved, the drivers who may have seen it and, most importantly, the corner workers. I have been on both ends of a 13 and always felt the the decision was carefully considered and understood why it was made, even if I didn't agree with the ultimate result. A few seconds or minutes of video can be very misleading, and we should not jump to conclusions or second guess the stewards based on just that evidence.
This is a good point, and should be well taken. I have found the PCA stewards to be very reasonable people when it comes to decision making, particularly Brian Henderson who carefully considered a case I once made when called in.

Having now watched the GoodHands incident, and thank you for sharing, I have to input that this is pure divebomb crap, and to think that he wasn't 13'd just pisses me off. We're Club Racing, for crying out loud, and I WANT the regulations to prevent **** like that, because it could end my program entirely, not just my race. That was just a low percentage move that he got lucky with the first time and obviously didn't learn anything from. If he doesn't get a 13, who does? Might as well forget the rule. I'd have gone to the stewards with my video and insisted that he gets it. Glad that many of you share my thoughts.

Last edited by gums; 06-06-2013 at 11:40 AM.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:53 AM
danielyonker
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimbo951
Disagree.

In the first video, from 0:00 to 0:08 the rear car is behind. At 0:08 the lead car hits the turn in point (designated by extra wide paint on the left edge of the track). At the turn in point, the rear car is visible in the rear view mirror and appears to be behind.

The pass doesn't even start until the front car begins his turn-in.

The only way the pass was completed was by putting all 4 wheels over the first set of extended rubble strips. Then the left wheels in the dirt of the 2nd rumble strip, then blowing the line through the 2nd half of the chicane.

As others noted, the only reason the cars didn't hit was because the lead car changed his line to avoid contact.

Awesome - No.
Responsible - No.
Acceptable in amateur club racing - No
Legal - I guess so.

I had to watch the video after reading all this commotion.

First pass downright reckless. Dude must have thought he was superman after that, hence the second attempt.

Second pass, even more reckless and he didn't get away with it. I'm surprised camera car didn't leave more room based on first pass (even though he shouldn't have too).

If the passing car who rear ended camera car didn't get a 13/13 we should all revolt and go to NASA/SCCA. That makes me sick based on a racing incident for which I got a 13/13......this was no racing incident. Camera car must be sick as well.

VR, ...was the dude in the Cayman your client, LMAO
Old 06-06-2013, 12:04 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by gums
If he doesn't get a 13, who does? Might as well forget the rule. I'd have gone to the stewards with my video and insisted that he gets it. Glad that many of you share my thoughts.
I'm with you Frank. The first pass was, to me, ill advised at best and he should have learned from it. I admit to taking "similar" passes there but not as late or entering as shallow as this car, which totally screws the mid corner-exit of bus stop, which kills your speed advantage (if you don't spin/wreck).The second "pass" was just plain irresponsible and i'm sure Scott is thrilled with the repair bill he has coming.. or maybe the Cayman offered to pay, IDK.

Quick Reply: Mishaps, I still don't get it.