Sponsored by:

Mishaps, I still don't get it.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 05:56 PM
Cheyenne
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spiraling downhill fast?

If that is the case, then it's probably my cue to jump in.

Risk management is the primary focus of my driving. At the same time, I'm very competitive, it grinds on my very soul when someone is faster than I am.

In balancing these occasionally opposing drives, the one factor that remains the same is that only I can create more safety in the situation.

What other people do, and what consequences I incur if I exceed my own capabilities with a "mistake" are out of my control. I can only try to account for it in advance, see ALL the possibilities of a situation, and make a conscious choice that errs on the side of safety.

Ultimately, I am responsible for anything that happens that involves me, if I could have seen it coming and accounted for it. Even if it's all someone else's fault, if I can keep myself out of trouble, I am obligated to do so, as my trouble may become someone else's trouble very easily. Also I could scuff my paint.

I watched the video, 15-20 times to try to see everything. I see them both fully at fault. (And I don't mean to say I couldn't find myself in either person's situation. If I'm pointing my finger, I don't mean it personally, it's just that I would see myself at fault in either case. I should have known he would dive for the apex, and I'll be in his blind spot when he does, I should have known he would try to put a pass on me right there after I went wide and he's been on me for a while.

Besides, what's the opinion of a guy who's never raced or even driven at a DE worth?

People talk about rules and having nannies step in to fix it, but it's a cultural issue, and will resolve faster if dealt with at that level. But that is hard to do when people idolize those who don't have that level of respect for their competitors (and themselves), when the big dog hero driver is the one that stuffs it past the other guy deep in the corner...well, every average joe is going to try to emulate that, even if it's just a quiet subconscious push.

The way to fix it, if it needs to be fixed, is to deal with it like BMX bikes at the skatepark. The bikes move much faster, and you don't want a collusion. They can mix together, but the bikes need to be extra careful that their line will be clear. The rules are simple, you will play nice and be respectful, and safe - we'll all get along. Or you will be advised to leave until you can learn to. No "gangfight at the skatepark" just a group taking a firm stand on what is responsible behavior.

At the skatepark, it's always safety first, because we all want to be able to skate again tomorrow, and none of us are pros.

Maybe there should be different types of club racing for different aggression levels? I see all these threads where people make a big deal out of a few close calls and a bit of over enthusiastic driving. I'll readily admit that there is a fine line between aggression and stupidity, but some of us are comfortable taking risks with like minded people, accepting responsibility for potential bad outcomes, and dealing in a friendly, but direct way with people who don't seem to be getting the balance right. Groups of motorcyclists on the street deal with this issue, but it's easy when there are multiple groups with different aggression levels to choose from. It doesn't solve the problem of people who are too aggressive for the situation, but at least you can find a group that is right for you.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:51 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

This is a great conversation and has lead me to posting my videos which at first I was hesitant to do. This is no way to call out the other driver but to get some feedback and opinions. In fact he and I talked afterwards and we are fine. First video is of a pass he took early in the race. I felt this was a little aggressive but he kept control and it succeeded but was it safe ? Second attempt is where we hit. Neither of us was given a 13 but the steward's opinion was I could have given racing room but his pass was also ill advised. I have no idea what his video looks like and would love to see his view of the incident. FWIW the Stewards never asked so see my video maybe because they didn't think I had anything to show ? A big rear view mirror sure does help. After his first pass I really didn't think he would try the same move again but I guess if it was successful the first time I should have expected it.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:00 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

^^ Uh oh!
Old 06-05-2013, 10:00 PM
Doug007
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow! Is his name Perez?
Old 06-05-2013, 10:01 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by good hands
This is a great conversation and has lead me to posting my videos which at first I was hesitant to do. This is no way to call out the other driver but to get some feedback and opinions. In fact he and I talked afterwards and we are fine. First video is of a pass he took early in the race. I felt this was a little aggressive but he kept control and it succeeded but was it safe ? Second attempt is where we hit. Neither of us was given a 13 but the steward's opinion was I could have given racing room but his pass was also ill advised. I have no idea what his video looks like and would love to see his view of the incident. FWIW the Stewards never asked so see my video maybe because they didn't think I had anything to show ? A big rear view mirror sure does help. After his first pass I really didn't think he would try the same move again but I guess if it was successful the first time I should have expected it.

close call - YouTube

hit in bus stop - YouTube

Pure Dumbassery
Old 06-05-2013, 10:01 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Wow Scott......

They didn't give him a 13 even after seeing the first out of control pass?.....

I wonder who the next poor soul to be hit by that Cayman will be......
Old 06-05-2013, 10:11 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Holy crap
Old 06-05-2013, 10:12 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,236 Likes on 1,856 Posts

Relax, guys. Let's make sure we keep this a welcome place to share and learn...

Scott, gotta say it was your good eyes that kept the first video from looking like a worse second video!

He's starting from way too far back AND after turn-in. He's going for a gap that is NO DOUBT GOING TO NARROW.

His speed is too high to make the corner in the first one, he kept going even though the risk benefit had already tilted against him in your second.

Now, if he had been next to you in the braking zone and even with you by the 200-150 marker? Then, he would have been ok.

I'll see his video soon enough...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-05-2013, 10:13 PM
MSTACH
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

OK here is a full recording from sprint 2 where I hit other 944 -
What u think about passing under black and late pit in?

Old 06-05-2013, 10:17 PM
FrankyV
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We have to keep in mind that the stewards are not making judgments on only the information we see here, they also speak with the drivers involved, the drivers who may have seen it and, most importantly, the corner workers. I have been on both ends of a 13 and always felt the the decision was carefully considered and understood why it was made, even if I didn't agree with the ultimate result. A few seconds or minutes of video can be very misleading, and we should not jump to conclusions or second guess the stewards based on just that evidence.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:19 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

Wow....talk about "Going For It". That is one aggressive pass. The first pass was followed by an amazing, perhaps lucky save.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:30 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Second attempt is where we hit. Neither of us was given a 13 but the steward's opinion was I could have given racing room but his pass was also ill advised. I have no idea what his video looks like and would love to see his view of the incident. FWIW the Stewards never asked so see my video maybe because they didn't think I had anything to show ? A big rear view mirror sure does help. After his first pass I really didn't think he would try the same move again but I guess if it was successful the first time I should have expected it.
He was not even at your bumper at turn-in, hits you trying a bonzai 0 percentage pass, and no 13? WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-05-2013, 10:34 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

After his first pass I really didn't think he would try the same move again but I guess if it was successful the first time I should have expected it.
That goes both ways. Every time I've made a good move for position I can tell you that if I was ever behind that driver again (sometimes a few laps later) he/she would absolutely prevent me from making that same move again. In my video I got #31 in a braking duel into the Bus Stop but later lost the position. I eventually was in the same spot on the back straight but #31 made sure he took that move away from me.

What I'm saying is that as a driver you should never expect to get away with a move like that twice as you are racing a thinking human being.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:36 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,236 Likes on 1,856 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak
What I'm saying is that as a driver you should never expect to get away with a move like that twice as you are racing a thinking human being.
Or not...
Old 06-05-2013, 11:07 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

close call - YouTube

hit in bus stop - YouTube
There's no doubt that the (passing) Cayman is at fault in both videos here, especially in (and after) the first one. No need for additional angles/perspectives. I would bet that 95% of racers would agree with this assessment, and am 100% sure he would have been black flagged in a Skip Barber race after the first banzai pass.

This one is not even close. There was zero overlap.

That said, if I was the passed driver and had gone through the first "adventure" with the same car at the same spot, I would have been much more defensive and not given the Cayman even an inch of an opening to tempt him into a dive. Only place he would be able to dive into would have been the back of my car.

Quick Reply: Mishaps, I still don't get it.