Old 06-04-2013, 07:15 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,236 Likes on 1,856 Posts

Originally Posted by MSTACH
He said that he did not see me coming and that "nobody pass in turn 5"

Mike Stach
Unreal. He shot himself in the foot with the first statement and confirmed his idiocy by uttering the second...

I've been passing cars, sometimes several at a time, in Turn 5 since before the Bus Stop. A LOT of cars...

Mike, the only thing you did wrong was "hang" there and not have an out.

Get it done or don't put yourself in that position.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-04-2013, 07:20 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 888 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Track/racing awareness is a common trait of good racers......
And where did I say anything that disagreed with that??????

Scott
Old 06-04-2013, 07:33 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
Why is this such a mystery? Tunnel vision is common in activities such as going fast around a race track....

Scott
And where did I say anything that disagreed with that??????

Scott
I tought you were in the tunnel vision camp.......

if that is the case, please let me know what races you will attend so I will stay far away from you.......

Not seeing someone while racing is, in my opinion, utterly inexcusable.....
Old 06-04-2013, 08:12 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

There will be blind spots. Not seeing someone and being blind to someone are two different things.
I totally drive by winders' description of overlap. That's how Club Racing should be.
And I think both of these guys deserved 13's.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:19 PM
winders
Race Car

I tought you were in the tunnel vision camp.......

if that is the case, please let me know what races you will attend so I will stay far away from you.......

Not seeing someone while racing is, in my opinion, utterly inexcusable.....
Ah....you are the in the camp that makes judgments without facts!

All I said was that tunnel vision is common in activities such as going fast around a race track. That doesn't mean I suffer from it or that all racers suffer from it.

Let's say all people have a $1 to spend on all activities they perform in a race car. Not everyone spends their dollar in the same way and some get into situations where all of their dollar is spent before they have a chance to notice where everyone around them is. There is where tunnel vision comes into play.

Experienced racers tend to have more of their dollar in reserve than new racers. But some long time racers have less in reserve than others. The situations where a lot is going on, that tend to cause some racers to run out of money, don't cause other racers to exceed their budget. Racers get in over their heads sometimes, and situational awareness suffers. How much depends on the racer.

You can make grandiose statements like "Not seeing someone while racing is, in my opinion, utterly inexcusable.....", but the reality is the real world does not work that way. Maybe you think you are perfect, but you are not.

Scott
Old 06-04-2013, 08:29 PM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Streak
Van I could swear that somewhere along the line I read that the point at which PCA determines who has the corner is at turn in. If there is an incident the car with even so much as a bumper in front at that point would be initially seen as the "victim." Now there are always a host of other circumstances but I believe that's where PCA starts the process and I could swear it's in the rules someplace. Maybe it's in some sort of rookie literature?
This is consistent with what was told at the rookie orientation at Road Atlanta this year. Whoever has the lead at turn in has the corner.

FWIW, I have a four panel mirror and both side views. I can see more out of the four panel than the side view on the passenger side.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:34 PM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by 67King
This is consistent with what was told at the rookie orientation at Road Atlanta this year. Whoever has the lead at turn in has the corner.
In other words, the only time you have to give racing room is when you are exactly side by side? Otherwise you have to back off?

Does that make any sense?

Scott
Old 06-04-2013, 08:55 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Ah....you are the in the camp that makes judgments without facts!

All I said was that tunnel vision is common in activities such as going fast around a race track. That doesn't mean I suffer from it or that all racers suffer from it.

Let's say all people have a $1 to spend on all activities they perform in a race car. Not everyone spends their dollar in the same way and some get into situations where all of their dollar is spent before they have a chance to notice where everyone around them is. There is where tunnel vision comes into play.

Experienced racers tend to have more of their dollar in reserve than new racers. But some long time racers have less in reserve than others. The situations where a lot is going on, that tend to cause some racers to run out of money, don't cause other racers to exceed their budget. Racers get in over their heads sometimes, and situational awareness suffers. How much depends on the racer.

You can make grandiose statements like "Not seeing someone while racing is, in my opinion, utterly inexcusable.....", but the reality is the real world does not work that way. Maybe you think you are perfect, but you are not.

Scott
Fact are as follows :I don't want to race against people:

1. with tunnel vision
2. who are blind
3. who have no track awareness
4. who appear long winded and judgmental on a racing forum

People here on RL know my history, I am far, far, far from perfect......

You on the other hand have no history, but have elected youself to be the ultimate judge......

Have a great life.......

P.S. I apologize to the Gums and Stach for my posts in this thread if they have by anyway offended you......
Old 06-04-2013, 09:18 PM
winders
Race Car

Fact are as follows :I don't want to race against people:

1. with tunnel vision
2. who are blind
3. who have no track awareness
4. who appear long winded and judgmental on a racing forum
With number 4, which I assume is directed at me, isn't the pot calling the kettle black? I plead guilty to being long winded on occasion....but I don't know where you get "judgmental" from....

I don't think any of us want to race with people that are 1, 2, or 3. The simple fact is that sometimes some racers lose situational awareness because too much is happening for them. It happens in F1....I don't see why you wouldn't expect to see it at the club racing level.

Scott
Old 06-04-2013, 09:21 PM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In other words, the only time you have to give racing room is when you are exactly side by side? Otherwise you have to back off?

Does that make any sense?

Scott
Don't shoot the messenger!
Old 06-04-2013, 09:21 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 836 Posts

I am not commenting on the video nor who did what or who should or should not have gotten a 13. But this picture always cracks me up!

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 12-04-2013 at 10:39 AM.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:27 PM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by 67King
Don't shoot the messenger!
I wasn't...I was asking a question even if it was somewhat rhetorical!

Scott
Old 06-04-2013, 09:29 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

The fact that no 13 was issued shows that there is a problem with the system - that exact move has resulted in a 13 countless times
Old 06-04-2013, 09:31 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 439 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I am not commenting on the video nor who did what or who should or should not have gotten a 13. But this picture always cracks me up!
OMG. That redefines feeling like you got run over.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:38 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean F
The fact that no 13 was issued shows that there is a problem with the system - that exact move has resulted in a 13 countless times
Yep. As others have mentioned, the rules on overtaking and 13's need to be more clearly defined in the PCA rules. Publishing commentary in the racing news is not enough in my opinion.

Quick Reply: Mishaps, I still don't get it.