Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HP wins races and HP sells cars. :)

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 08:26 PM
dprantl
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was going to say it's the same reason F1 cars don't use turbochargers... because, uh, turbochargers make you go slower?

F1 cars go to such high RPMs and have limited displacement engines because they are forced to by the rules, like Jim said. If the rules were more lax, they would go much faster and drivers would be much more likely to kill themselves trying to win.

Dan
'91 928GT S/C 475hp/460lb.ft
Old 10-06-2012, 10:04 PM
GlenL
Nordschleife Master

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

F = m * a

It's the law!
Old 10-07-2012, 05:46 AM
Strosek Ultra
Rennlist Member

Received 463 Likes on 248 Posts

The Radical SR8 LM is still the fastest road car on the Nürburgring as far as I know. There are race cars being much faster such as 6.11.13 minutes made by a Porsche 956 in 1983. The winning concept of the Radical is low weight (1433 lbs) and a small (2,6 L) high revving V8 (360 hp @ 10500 rpm). http://www.supercars.net/cars/3838.html
When will we see a 928 doing a really good time?

Ake
Old 10-07-2012, 06:12 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by IcemanG17
Guys.......................in all seriousness.....ANY street car against ANY 200+ hp "race" car is not a fair race.....excellent street cars like the ZR1 are severely compromised on a road course...the reason SO many manufacturers use the ring is IT FAVORS POWER by a huge margin....you can suck almost the whole course and make it all up on the long straight...this is why the Veyron runs a 7:40.....

Thunderhill is about 1/2 power and 1/2 handling....which is why spec miati do quite well there.....I'm running 2:02's....a decent time.....it would take a serious driver to beat me in a ZR1.....since I think a well driven bone stock ZR1 is around a 2:00 car.... A friend who is a GOOD driver turned a 2:08.5 in his 2009 ZR1.....bone stock....then came in and said it was "scary".....

while I am a decent driver, there is "more" in the car...... I welcome ANY bone stock ZR1 that thinks it can beat me
Brian, quick reality check. a zr1 just did a 1:31 at laguna with a good driver that would be a 1:52 at Thunderhill. the guy diving the ZR1 wasnt racing you or didnt know how. period.

Originally Posted by GregBBRD
Porsche Motorsports has tried to sell this idea, for years! I proved them wrong about this, in 1995.

A couple of years ago, they finally saw the "light" and made engines that had more torque and less top end horsepower (which is a really, really great story, BTW) and made their race cars much, much faster.

Only took them 20 years. You might get it sooner!
Sorry greg, the 911 has been going up in HP since day one and has never gone back. the cup cars are at 500 hp and the 911s were at 355 for the Carrera S. you get more torque along the way, unless you increase the RPM for more hp. torque means NOTHING, unless you have RPM behind it. Its about rear end , at the wheels , through the gears torque, not engine Torque!!
acceleration = power/(mass x velocity) Newton says acceleration is proportinoal to power! not engine torque! as Glen says, its the "law".

Originally Posted by Maleficio
I've always understood torque the same as a capacitor: resistance to change.
No, it makes the change! F (torque in a linear plane) =ma.
but rememer, its the force at the rear wheels , not the engine

Originally Posted by Maleficio
A buddy once made a good point. He said screw HP. You have to know the torque value to even determine HP.
nope.............. you need both torque and RPM to determine HP. power , just contains more information. if you have torque at the wheels curves for a car, great, if you have engine torque, you have NOTHING to determine anything without RPM.

Originally Posted by Jon B.
The ZR1 is a better car PERIOD. On a race track, on the highway, on the moon, anywhere!

You either aren't giving your driving skills their due, or everyone that owns a ZR1 and takes it to that track is a HORRIBLE driver.

I think we should be talking driver skill over your car being better around ANY race track than a car like the ZR1. That's just absurd. I get the bone stock thing, but you've already spotted the car two seconds.
ha ha ha YES YES YES!!

Originally Posted by Jim Nowak
Amazing, the car with highest average torque through the RPM range won.
Nope, hghest average HP, and you would be correct. average torque, flat torque, etc etc, means nothing. give me flat HP , highest average HP and falling torque curve any day of the week!

Originally Posted by GlenL

F = m * a

It's the law!
Here is another law for you :
Acceleration = power / (mass x velocity)

if you aint talking about the "F" at the tires, you dont have much to go on. since no one would be talkng "F" at the engine, the torque value means nothing wihtout RPM behind it
Old 10-07-2012, 06:14 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

By the way, for those playing along, whats the main difference of why the vet beats the porsche and why the jet beats the car?
bonus question: why does the car beat the jet to near 70mph?
Old 10-07-2012, 10:16 AM
GlenL
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mark kibort
if you aint talking about the "F" at the tires, you dont have much to go on. since no one would be talkng "F" at the engine, the torque value means nothing wihtout RPM behind it
"No one?"

Only F between tires and road matters. You're getting there. F at the road is T at the engine times the gear ratio. Simple. Keep it simple. No need to make it complicated.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:48 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GlenL
"No one?"

Only F between tires and road matters. You're getting there. F at the road is T at the engine times the gear ratio. Simple. Keep it simple. No need to make it complicated.
Yeah, nobody!

you met anyone that says, "i have 3000ft-lbs of force at the rear tires? " " oh, but at 80mph , i have 1000ft-lbs of force....." of course not. they talk engine, torque, flat torque curves and get theirpanties in a mess when trying to understand that HP tells it all! just more information . its torque, plus RPM as a bonus factor! all in one. you know the HP at any speed, all other things being equal, you will know who will win the race! you want to get more detailed, integrate the HP curves and see who has more HP-seconds. sure, you can break it down to torque, get the RPM, gear rations, tire diameter, etc, but thats a lot of work. not wrong, but a lot of work and most get confused the more work they have to do. Loook at greg brown he is confused now too!

In the context of the disussion, lets talk about the jet and the car race!
Old 10-07-2012, 08:58 PM
Jim Nowak
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nope, hghest average HP, and you would be correct. average torque, flat torque, etc etc, means nothing. give me flat HP , highest average HP and falling torque curve any day of the week!
You can't have HP without torque when you are referring to an engine. Think higher RPM and higher torque with the right gearing = greater HP at the wheels. You know this so I don't understand why you are looking for an argument.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:40 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

The ZR-1 is a wickedly fast car with an amazing engine, huge sticky tires, and magnetoretic shocks. If its not whipping Brian's *** on the track then Brian is a superman drover and should have gotten the mclaren seat instead if Perez, or the vette drover is on some sort of Sunday drive. There are not too many options here.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:20 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by BC
The ZR-1 is a wickedly fast car with an amazing engine, huge sticky tires, and magnetoretic shocks. If its not whipping Brian's *** on the track then Brian is a superman drover and should have gotten the mclaren seat instead if Perez, or the vette drover is on some sort of Sunday drive. There are not too many options here.
Brandon

Yes the ZR1 has a very powerful engine.....but that really doesn't count for much on a road course.....handling-braking-setup is MUCH more important than power

"huge sticky tires"....huge, yes...sticky umm no....not even close they are STREET TIRES....which by nature suck compared to DOT-R tires.....and even more compared to true racing slicks.... maybe at best 1.25g vs over 1.5+G on race tires

Keep in mind....STREET CAR, on street tires....crappy unsupportive seats, brakes that will fade... hundreds of lbs of dead weight are the enemy of street cars on a race track.... A ZR1 is over 3300lbs

I am still a novice racer.....nowhere near a "pro"....using my best lap times in my Scion vs what Randy Probst did I am over 6% off pace...assuming Randy Probst can go 6% faster than me...he would be a 1:54 at Thunderhill in my 928....which is almost exacty what a ZR1 would turn if Randy drove it...

http://www.fastestlaps.com/tracks/laguna_seca.html
Old 10-07-2012, 11:29 PM
Jon B.
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

The NEW ZR1 has new seats, runs basically R-compound tires, and has ALWAYS had HUGE Carbon Ceramic brakes.

This is NOT an average street car....
Old 10-08-2012, 03:13 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IcemanG17
Brandon

Yes the ZR1 has a very powerful engine.....but that really doesn't count for much on a road course.....handling-braking-setup is MUCH more important than power

"huge sticky tires"....huge, yes...sticky umm no....not even close they are STREET TIRES....which by nature suck compared to DOT-R tires.....and even more compared to true racing slicks.... maybe at best 1.25g vs over 1.5+G on race tires

Keep in mind....STREET CAR, on street tires....crappy unsupportive seats, brakes that will fade... hundreds of lbs of dead weight are the enemy of street cars on a race track.... A ZR1 is over 3300lbs

I am still a novice racer.....nowhere near a "pro"....using my best lap times in my Scion vs what Randy Probst did I am over 6% off pace...assuming Randy Probst can go 6% faster than me...he would be a 1:54 at Thunderhill in my 928....which is almost exacty what a ZR1 would turn if Randy drove it...

http://www.fastestlaps.com/tracks/laguna_seca.html
no, randy is no god, he is good , but plenty of new pros can spin an equal lap time as him in a pro race. Its not about lap time at the top of the ranks, its about decision making in those races. In my race with Pobst, I ran, passed him and lead a lap with my old bucket of bolts while he was in an exact HP level, same weight, pro built M3 from Grand Am with all the best of the best , AND new stickers too boot! only a second faster with $100k more car!

I would take randy in your car and give him his *** in it! trust me, its not that complicated! your car cannot run 2:00 period! even god driving!
Old 10-08-2012, 03:16 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Brian, as i said, a pro took the ZR1 to laguna and ran a low 1:30. even if you put street rubber on it, like we did in WCGT in 2001, that only costs about 4 seconds vs DOT race rubber of the Toyo RA1.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:23 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jim Nowak
You can't have HP without torque when you are referring to an engine. Think higher RPM and higher torque with the right gearing = greater HP at the wheels. You know this so I don't understand why you are looking for an argument.
you originallly said, the car with the highest average torque won. again, the torque value at the eingine means literally nothing without a RPM attached to it.

vipers can have 450ftlbs and 450rw torque while a porsche GT3 competitor could have 450rwhp and 240 rw torque. who is going to win?? same weight and handling and both cars will be identical at any part of the track. yet one has half the engine torque as the other. the close gears of the GT3, keeps the HP in its max range while the broad HP range of the viper keeps its hp there too. so the net is both cars will have the same HP at any speed at the track. off turns, down straights, etc ect. HP is just an easier comparison factor to use to determine performance.
you dont need to find out ratios, tire diameters, rear end reductions, etc etc. jsut take two curves and compare them!
Old 10-08-2012, 10:05 AM
GlenL
Nordschleife Master

the torque value at the eingine means literally nothing without a RPM attached to it.
You've got that backwards. HP means nothing without RPM or vehicle velocity.

If you tell me the torque and gear, I can tell you the acceleration. That's not "nothing," that is everything!

Quick Reply: HP wins races and HP sells cars. :)