Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 04:51 PM
Mark Anderson
The Parts Whisperer
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 366 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
James, you havent clearly, been paying attention. i beat anderson all things being equal, except for his 200hp extra that he wasnt able to use during a PRO GTGP race .

Mark you beat me because I was on slicks in the rain while you had DOT tires. In dry conditions I'm 6 seconds a lap faster at your home track.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:52 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

If you want to see a great example of torque and gearing in action and how it relates to HP being optimized, take a look at my last video from Laguna seca. the viper loses all gears but 3rd, so its limited at 120mph , which is not too far off the top speed down the main straight, and no exit torque at two slow turns. alll other places, it is uneffected. the 600hp and 600ftlbs of torque , suddenly gets pulled back to an average of near 450 rwhp. being heavier to boot, it suddenly produced an close race for my car and the viper. (driver is well respected, running Viper challenge series east and a separate car out west, running every other weekend , ususally dual classes in each weekend, so LOTs of track time and the best of tires, mostly slicks ). we had a great race. i knew where i could have a very slight advantage and used it to get a head and keep the viper behind, but then got a little too polite and got passed in a strong area of the car even with only 3rd gear. hitting some traffic, it was all over to get by again. BUT, it showed clearly, that gears deliver the HP , and all that torque, isnt that big of a deal , if you cant optimize HP with it.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:01 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mark anderson
Mark you beat me because I was on slicks in the rain while you had DOT tires. In dry conditions I'm 6 seconds a lap faster at your home track.
we both were sliding around . there is no differnce in a slick or the totally bald tire i ran (RA1).. (no groves showing) the ONLY differnce might have been your ability to modulate your throttle due to TB set up vs my stock stuff, and handling due to higher spring rates . thats the difference. i would have no problem doing that race again with your tires. there was NO grip at all. in cold temps, a skinned tire is a skinned tire. its all hydroplane managment.

yes, you have 200hp more and are running yokohama slicks, and the time was 1:30.6, so call it 5.5 seconds better. motons, 100lbs lighter car, bigger wing, splitter..... etc etc. you already ran your car in WCGT at 420rwhp to a 1:40.1, qual and race. i run 4 seconds faster with DOTs. No fancy stuff either still down 50hp.

we ran the GT3 simulator the same time too. 1:31.xx. :roflamo:

and lemons car

my point was not to discredit you as a driver, because i think you are one of the better ones out there! but to shut Jim up who only uses excuses when it benifts him! again, after doing this for a long time, you and i both know that a lot of guys can spin a great lap time in a given car. as long as you are not making mistakes, usually, its the car that is doing the work!!

Now, if you want to race me , you can shift at 4000rpm, put on DOTs and add 100lbs, or just use 4th gear . we can race for pinks!
Old 10-09-2012, 05:12 PM
Mark Anderson
The Parts Whisperer
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

[QUOTE=mark kibort;9905172]we both were sliding around . there is no differnce in a slick or the totally bald tire i ran (RA1).. (no groves showing) QUOTE]

There's a big difference. Dot tires have a much wider band of operating temprature compared to slicks. Talk to me after you've tried them.
I was at RA this weekend driving in 45 temprature and the DOT Hoosiers never got much above 100 degrees but they worked awesome.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:15 PM
Mark Anderson
The Parts Whisperer
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Now, if you want to race me , you can shift at 4000rpm, put on DOTs and add 100lbs, or just use 4th gear . we can race for pinks!
Let's see,
What happened when we both drove Josephs car years ago?
Want to race me in a spec Porsche cup car?
Old 10-09-2012, 05:28 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mark anderson
Let's see,
What happened when we both drove Josephs car years ago?
(I had not yet finished my jeti training)
Want to race me in a spec Porsche cup car?

dont even go there . that willow springs is a differnet animal. thats more than a home track . (plus i just started racing a few years before. that being in th e late 90s)
Now, the only "same car", same day, has been , was lemons, on a track we both know. times were a little faster on my side.
I would LOVE to race you in a cup car! Got one that i can run
It would take me a lot of time to run as fast as you at willow springs but would have NO problem with any car at laguna seca. very junior guys when they get the HP that the fast guys get, after 2-3 weekends are as fast as the expienced racers. they make more mistakes and crash more, but their lap times get fast very quickly.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:33 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

[quote=mark anderson;9905197]
we both were sliding around . there is no differnce in a slick or the totally bald tire i ran (RA1).. (no groves showing) QUOTE]

There's a big difference. Dot tires have a much wider band of operating temprature compared to slicks. Talk to me after you've tried them.
I was at RA this weekend driving in 45 temprature and the DOT Hoosiers never got much above 100 degrees but they worked awesome.
well, you are still geting temp and i agree to a certain extent. i think any race team still would use the slicks in 45 degree temps, but thats another story. in the rain, you are reaching they are all bad. (all skinned, no tread tires) in fact, all the guys that were on DOTs were within 10ths of eachother, did you notice. look at your driving and pinching off the turn to why you were getting loose. again, the main reason would be throttle response or stiffer spings that ARE differences that matter with wet set up. (and it was really wet) it was hydroplane managment. all tires were never above 70degrees tread temp. nothing works at that temp .

I smell a challenge coming!

Lets do it!! Brian! lets run an enduro with your car!!!!!

so, Mark, take the white car, put on DOTs (which you did with all the HP you have and ran a respectablel 1:35, remember? ) now, shift at 4000rpm and see how your times go. forget about all the advanced things you have. 14" F50 brakes, $8k motons, slicks, all the chassis changes , bars, bumpsteer kits, wings , splitters, 150lbs weight, etc etc. usually , if you talk to the BOZO's on any forum, alll those changes are about 1 second each!
But here in reality world, you racing your car with just DOTs and 400rwhp , would have a decent challenge to beat me.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:34 PM
Mark Anderson
The Parts Whisperer
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Now, the only "same car", same day, has been , was lemons, on a track we both know. times were a little faster on my side.
With over 100 cars on the track a good lap time was largely luck with traffic.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:55 PM
GregBBRD
Former Sponsor

Received 2,474 Likes on 1,468 Posts

Gregs IMSA experince doesnt make him a physics professor. Im just quoting basic laws here. you cant get better than a flat HP curve for a racer. the closest thing is a close ratio gear box or a wide HP curve for a given HP level. more hp in any area of a HP curve, is better, which is done by making more torque in those areas. dont confuse the two.
Funny stuff. If racing was purely about physics, you'd think that every Nascar team would just hire a professor and we could decide the races on a chalkboard.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:08 PM
GregBBRD
Former Sponsor

Received 2,474 Likes on 1,468 Posts

dont even go there . that willow springs is a differnet animal. thats more than a home track . (plus i just started racing a few years before. that being in th e late 90s)
I would LOVE to race you in a cup car! Got one that i can run
It would take me a lot of time to run as fast as you at willow springs but would have NO problem with any car at laguna seca. very junior guys when they get the HP that the fast guys get, after 2-3 weekends are as fast as the expienced racers. they make more mistakes and crash more, but their lap times get fast very quickly.
Mark:

I have never seen you drive, so I have no way to judge your abilities.

I can tell you this....Mark Anderson rates in the top two or three drivers that I've ever personally seen race....and without any doubt is the absolute best at adapting to car "inadequacies" that I've ever seen. Mark could certainly drive at any level, professionally, that he wanted to drive at (might be too old for Formula One.)

Mark can "hop" into virtually any car and within a couple of laps, understand that car and have it turning some of the best laps it has ever ran. I've seen him do this, time after time.

You'd have to be a really, really exceptional driver to even be in the same league.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:46 PM
Tom. M
Deleted
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 116 Posts

I'm in for $20 bucks...on Mark A..... in Mark K's car.. at Laguna.... problem is... Mark A would probably make mincemeat out of the 2/6 bearing in Mark K's car in about 2 laps LOL...
Old 10-09-2012, 07:51 PM
Rob Edwards
Archive Gatekeeper
Rennlist Member

Received 2,707 Likes on 1,310 Posts

I will kick in a new pair of Porsche 2/6 bearings after Mark A is done with MK's beastie. Should be a hoot!
Old 10-09-2012, 08:08 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Hmm....this just got really interesting!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Since Mark A's 928 is down that leaves only a few options.....

1: Mark K and Mark A drive Kiborts 928.....but we all know what will happen....it will blow the 2-6...
2: Have them both drive Joe Fan's 928....
3: Have them both drive mine...but mine is MUCH less powerful than they are used too....
4: To make things really interesting.....one in mine, one in Seans......Seans is a little more powerful, mine handles a little better and is 100lbs lighter..... I'll put slicks on both to make it even....but Seans needs a new trans 1st

On to the lemons topic..... Its really hard to say who was the "best" traffic is just insane....Kibort did end up with "fast" time twice.....but I had fast time on Saturday???? Another example....my best lap was almost 2 seconds faster than Sean....but when I loaded the lap data into Excel....Sean's average lap was BETTER than mine? by a second.....Hmm.....BUT BUT BUT....I went faster damnit....

In our 1st lemons race......Mark A passed 158 cars in 1 hour....155 cars in the FIELD....

Old 10-09-2012, 08:15 PM
Mark Anderson
The Parts Whisperer
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by GregBBRD
Mark:

I have never seen you drive, so I have no way to judge your abilities.

I can tell you this....Mark Anderson rates in the top two or three drivers that I've ever personally seen race....and without any doubt is the absolute best at adapting to car "inadequacies" that I've ever seen. Mark could certainly drive at any level, professionally, that he wanted to drive at (might be too old for Formula One.)

Mark can "hop" into virtually any car and within a couple of laps, understand that car and have it turning some of the best laps it has ever ran. I've seen him do this, time after time.

You'd have to be a really, really exceptional driver to even be in the same league.
Greg I greatly appreciate the vote of confidence but as Garth said in Waynes World " I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy"
Old 10-09-2012, 08:33 PM
Charley B
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, at least we can all agree on who wins the Humility Trophy.

Wait! Did I say we could all agree? skdng

Quick Reply: HP wins races and HP sells cars. :)