4.88%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

2011 Grand Prix of Hungary

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011 | 12:39 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Mr Blinders...another blind joke, it's OK I get it all the time.

Schumacher seemed to have some good competition while at Ferrari, Mika comes to mind.

But I still wonder why Alonso, the man who beat Schumacher (thank you Suzuka for that engine failure), and who is driving for the best team in F1 still has not won a WDC at Ferrari. It is a legitimate question.

The new rules NO IN SEASON TESTING is the same for everyone, Alonso included, so why hasn't Alonso won a WDC? yes, I know, Petrov, but besides that. Why is he not dominant? He is merely one of the top drivers in F1, clearly not dominant in any way.

The best driver in F1 driving for the best team should be dominant, no?
What am I missing?
It's called common sense and ability to comprehend. That is what you are missing.
Old 08-02-2011 | 12:50 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
It's called common sense and ability to comprehend. That is what you are missing.
OK, so I am dumb and blind .. at least I'm not deaf.

So help me understand.
Why is Alonso not dominant? Is it your contention that it is simply impossible in this (NO INSEASON TESTING) era of F1 (we'll skip the whole simulator issue for now) for ANY driver to be dominant?

I could point to Vettel this season as a dominant driver in this era.
Is it the car?

When someone says "the best", you typically associate that with dominance and championships, which since joining Ferrari, Alonso hasn't demonstrated.

So, I ask the question, why not?
Old 08-02-2011 | 12:51 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by My993C2
Hamilton (a hard charger leave nothing on the table driver) and Button (a very experienced driver) were both in a McLaren. At the beginning of the season, Red Bull was clearly the best car, but McLaren and Ferrari have definitely closed the gap to the point where Red Bull is no longer the stand out they were. From my casual point of view, it appeared in Hungary McLaren was the best car, Red Bull second best and Ferrari still a competitive third. After that there was a huge drop off to the rest of the field.

I will agree with you however that Di Resta and Buemi performed extremely well in Hungary.
Its difficult if not impossible to quantify, but I would expect the differences in the top three marques- measured in tenths during qualifying- to narrow in the wet/damp and the emphasis to shift from the car to the drover.

As the race progresses tire strategy and related pit stops takes over as the dominant factor. Also as pointed out, a better drover in a faster car could get blown away by a lesser driver/car on the right tire. Don't recall the exact race but I recall Kobayashi just driving around people on well worn tires. So at least the beginning of a race when most if not all are on similar unworn tires , it should be the best way to judge relative performance- all other things being equal. Trouble is- they never are.
Old 08-02-2011 | 12:55 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

F1 has always been about the car/team first and the driver second. The cars don't drive themselves, so you do need a good driver to win. But put any driver from a mid tier team and put them in a top tier team and they too could win races. Nico Rosberg has yet to win a race. Is this because Rosberg has no talent? or because he has yet to drive in a top tier team? You be the judge.

There is definitely something going on at Ferrari and while I am sure Alonso is the better driver, I also suspect Massa just does not give a damn anymore. Massa problably has a dart board in his home with a picture of Timo Glock on it. Ever since Massa lost the WDC to Hamilton thanks to Hamilton's seamlessly easy pass on Glock on the last few turns of the last lap of the 2008 Brazilian GP, Felipe has not seemed the same.

Last edited by My993C2; 08-02-2011 at 01:22 PM.
Old 08-02-2011 | 01:23 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Lewis, you forgot to mention that Alonso has the best wingman in the business. Schumacher trained him to perfection.

Sorry Raj, I couldn't resist.

Originally Posted by ltc
Mr Blinders...another blind joke, it's OK I get it all the time.

Schumacher seemed to have some good competition while at Ferrari, Mika comes to mind.
But I still wonder why Alonso, the man who beat Schumacher (thank you Suzuka for that engine failure), and who is driving for the best team in F1 still has not won a WDC at Ferrari. It is a legitimate question.

The new rules NO IN SEASON TESTING is the same for everyone, Alonso included, so why hasn't Alonso won a WDC? yes, I know, Petrov, but besides that. Why is he not dominant? He is merely one of the top drivers in F1, clearly not dominant in any way.

The best driver in F1 driving for the best team should be dominant, no?
What am I missing?
Schumcher has never won when he has had competition ..NEVER !!!!!! Same fate for VETTEL ...

Originally Posted by ltc
OK, so I am dumb and blind .. at least I'm not deaf.

So help me understand.
Why is Alonso not dominant? Is it your contention that it is simply impossible in this (NO INSEASON TESTING) era of F1 (we'll skip the whole simulator issue for now) for ANY driver to be dominant?

I could point to Vettel this season as a dominant driver in this era.
Is it the car?
When someone says "the best", you typically associate that with dominance and championships, which since joining Ferrari, Alonso hasn't demonstrated.

So, I ask the question, why not?
Your reference for an era is one year ..... Interesting !!!!

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
That pic = not cool
Yes agree ..... Maybe it's a picture of C2, a shame if it's not ....
Old 08-02-2011 | 01:45 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Schumcher has never won when he has had competition ..NEVER !!!!!! Same fate for VETTEL ...
So Hamilton/Button from McLaren, Alonso/Massa in Ferrari, not to mention Webber in the identical Red Bull are not competitive?

But I forget ... Red Bull is willing to throw away millions of dollars in Constructor Championship points to purposely sabotage Mark Webber's car to allow Vettel to finish ahead of Webber. Red Bull is willing to throw away millions of dollars in Constructor Championship points to allow McLaren and Ferrari to finish ahead of Webber all because of this Vettel conspiracy you have fabricated in your head? You really do need to watch the BBC post race Alonso interview closely listen to what he has to say about Vettel. Alonso is not the one acting like fool with conspiracy theories.

Last edited by My993C2; 08-02-2011 at 02:31 PM.
Old 08-02-2011 | 06:40 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Ugghh... I left these F1 threads for a while and upon coming back I see it's the same old, same old...

I thought it was a great race yesterday, but then I must be strange 'cause I like Alonso, Vettel, Hamilton, Button etc. all at the same time. The racing has been really high-caliber this year with quality driving all through the field.
Old 08-02-2011 | 08:06 PM
morganabowen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 500_19B
Ugghh... I left these F1 threads for a while and upon coming back I see it's the same old, same old...

I thought it was a great race yesterday, but then I must be strange 'cause I like Alonso, Vettel, Hamilton, Button etc. all at the same time. The racing has been really high-caliber this year with quality driving all through the field.
I totally agree with your statement. 2011 is becoming a season to remember
Old 08-02-2011 | 08:08 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by My993C2
So Hamilton/Button from McLaren, Alonso/Massa in Ferrari, not to mention Webber in the identical Red Bull are not competitive?

But I forget ... Red Bull is willing to throw away millions of dollars in Constructor Championship points to purposely sabotage Mark Webber's car to allow Vettel to finish ahead of Webber. Red Bull is willing to throw away millions of dollars in Constructor Championship points to allow McLaren and Ferrari to finish ahead of Webber all because of this Vettel conspiracy you have fabricated in your head? You really do need to watch the BBC post race Alonso interview closely listen to what he has to say about Vettel. Alonso is not the one acting like fool with conspiracy theories.
Ok.... after learning of your condition i will go easy with you . There is no one else with a car as fast as the RB, on the tracks where they get close , they beat Vettel , everytime .... GET IT ....

See..... Competitive .. as in close ... they beat him , he only wins when the REDBULL flys away, same as Stooley before him. He is not at the same level as Alonso and or Hamilton, most times he is on par with Webber , sometimes not, he is nothing special , never was and never will be he is a FAUX, like button, like Stooley, they look good when the game lets them look good , like Button after Mclaren Pegged lewis and brought him in for that special tire change , go back and check how many times it has happened to lewis , tires or fuel , they control his pace that way , he is only allowed to fly When Button is hopelessly out of the picture ...

Ciao.......................
Old 08-02-2011 | 09:02 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 500_19B

Dude I feel your pain. There was good dialog an sensible discussion prior to Alonsos first won of the year. Unfortunately that win unlocked the A Wayne cage that he had been locked up since Petrov broke it off in Alonsos back side the last race of 2010. I can't stomach all the nonsense either with this clown so I'm dialing it back.

Have to agree that the rule changes have made even the Hungarian GP look good. Can't wait for Spa and Monza up next!!!
Old 08-02-2011 | 09:29 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pete
Dude I feel your pain. There was good dialog an sensible discussion prior to Alonsos first won of the year. Unfortunately that win unlocked the A Wayne cage that he had been locked up since Petrov broke it off in Alonsos back side the last race of 2010. I can't stomach all the nonsense either with this clown so I'm dialing it back.
Have to agree that the rule changes have made even the Hungarian GP look good. Can't wait for Spa and Monza up next!!!
Dialing it back to flame throwers and bazookas. That's OK. Don't even think about dialing it back any more. RL is slow and boring enough these days.
Old 08-02-2011 | 10:09 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by paradisenb
Dialing it back to flame throwers and bazookas. That's OK. Don't even think about dialing it back any more. RL is slow and boring enough these days.
Originally Posted by 968TurboS
g to provide me some evidence that I am a hater, what happened? forgot??
Your daily reminder. Where is a quote showing me being a detractor or a hater. Please post!

Last edited by RajDatta; 08-03-2011 at 09:36 AM.
Old 08-02-2011 | 10:29 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Wait a minute...Alonso won a race...where is Luis de Prat
Old 08-02-2011 | 11:17 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Wait a minute...Alonso won a race...where is Luis de Prat
Someone spotted Nelsoshino Piquet at that race but it is only rumor at this point....
Old 08-03-2011 | 12:40 AM
mklaskin
Drifting

Originally Posted by A.Wayne

Schumcher has never won when he has had competition ..NEVER !!!!!! Same fate for VETTEL ...:
'00, '01?

Quick Reply: 2011 Grand Prix of Hungary