Cosmetic surgery (tail removal)

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2002, 06:37 AM
Nicow
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Cosmetic surgery (tail removal)

Hi all, a few questions for the more experienced 911 owners than me,
1) Does anyone have any advice on removal of the whale tail from a 911, ie is it easier to replace the rear bonnet completely or is it possible to remove the tail and still use the existing bonnet.
2) Do the airconditioner and demister share the same cabin fan or are they seperate things (my airconditioner fan works but my demister does not.
3) What is the correct oil level indication both on the dipstick and gauge, and should the gauge be believed when idling, stopped or normal running.
4) Finally, I have no owners manual for the car, any tips on where to get one for an '86 Carrera.

Thanks in advance for the assistance.
Old 09-09-2002, 09:38 AM
Steve Wilwerding
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1) Does anyone have any advice on removal of the whale tail from a 911, ie is it easier to replace the rear bonnet completely or is it possible to remove the tail and still use the existing bonnet.

My whale tail was held on by 10 8mm hex bolts. Take off the bolts and the whale tail should pop off.

2) Do the airconditioner and demister share the same cabin fan or are they seperate things (my airconditioner fan works but my demister does not.

Don't know about this one?

3) What is the correct oil level indication both on the dipstick and gauge, and should the gauge be believed when idling, stopped or normal running.

Most people like the oil to be about halfway between the two marks on the dipstick when the car is warm and running. As for the dash gauge, it's tough to tell. Some people read the dipstick as full but the dash gauge shows half full, etc. Believe the dipstick.

4) Finally, I have no owners manual for the car, any tips on where to get one for an '86 Carrera.

Check out <a href="http://www.pelicanparts.com" target="_blank">http://www.pelicanparts.com</a>
Old 09-09-2002, 09:43 AM
lostinatl
Instructor

Are you interested in selling your tail? If so what style?
Old 09-09-2002, 07:36 PM
Nicow
8th Gear

Steve, thanks for your reply, I'll take the tail off & see whats left underneath. Lostinatl, still trying to determine whether the bonnet is recoverable after the tail is removed, I'll get back to you.
Old 10-09-2002, 06:18 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
As I recall, if you remove the rear spoiler, you should also remove the front (black rubber) chin spoiler. The idea is that the spoilers work together and one without the other will upset the aerodynamics of the car. I pretty sure that the subject has been discussed elsewhere on this site. You may check the archives.

Richard
'87 Carrera-3.6L
Old 10-09-2002, 07:56 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts
I believe you'll have holes to plug or "patch"
Old 10-09-2002, 08:40 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Nicow:
<strong>....
2) Do the airconditioner and demister share the same cabin fan or are they seperate things....</strong><hr></blockquote>

Since no one has replied - to this one...

They are seperate - and also on separate electrical circuits - including seperate relays in the panel. And there are two fans for the A/C - the evaporator fan (in front of the fuel tank), and the blower (look in the cubby compartment in the trunk)
Old 10-18-2002, 08:23 PM
Nicow
8th Gear

Thanks to everyone for the replies. Have changed the cabin fan & can now see outside in the rain. Tail has been removed, holes welded & hood repainted, for no cost as someone else paid for the tail. Cheers

Quick Reply: Cosmetic surgery (tail removal)