Sponsored by:

ASK THE COACH

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 12:49 PM
tvr-4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
IMO generally pretty nice. I'd like to see you look a lot farther ahead generally. Your head barely ever moves except turning in at the end of the back straight. I believe looking farther ahead consistently would smooth out some of your arm/hand inputs. In that vein, I'd also like to see you start turning sooner in a lot of places, but more slowly/less initial steering angle. Slow your hands and carry more speed/raise vMin in some of the corners.
Thank you very much for the feedback, very helpful. I just watched another video from this Aug @ Indy, and am definitely doing the same thing there.

I find myself looking at specific points on the track (brake markers, turn in points) immediately in front of me vs. trusting the peripheral vision take care of this... will this self-correct with practice / seat time, or are there other things I can / should do to help this?

Thanks again, TK
Old 12-29-2015, 01:04 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Here's a side-by-side synced video of my qualifying lap (right) VS the pole setter Alessandro Pier Guidi's pole lap (left) at the Laguna Seca PWC race this year. I was over driving a bit and my line through the corkscrew was not as good as his, but what I find most interesting is that we were driving the same model car (well mine's a 2011 and his a 2015 ) and he makes it look easy. It almost looks like he was able to figure out a setup that gave more downforce as I was equal or quicker in the slower/more technical first half of the track, then he's much quicker in the faster corners (except T6 where I just chuck it in. )

I still watch this video all the time trying to figure out how he was so much quicker. Maybe it'll help some of you as well!

-mike

Last edited by fleadh; 12-29-2015 at 03:40 PM.
Old 12-29-2015, 03:34 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

^^ sounds interesting Mike ... link not working though
Old 12-29-2015, 05:33 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,679 Likes on 868 Posts

Mike, watch his hands. Look at how much sooner but more gently they move in each turn in. A great example is the top of the corkscrew. He is thus able to carry maybe 1-2 more MPH at entry...
Old 01-12-2016, 10:35 AM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts
Default Now that I have more data...

Upgraded the data in the race car. Added RPM, throttle position, brake light, and indirectly, gear selection, plus video overlay. What surprised me is I'm not on the gas as much as I think I am and I'm on the brakes more than I think I am. Like video, sometimes data can be harsh too. Maybe I should upgrade it to whisper this in my ear as I go around the track:

Less Brake, More Gas. How many f**king times do I need to say it?

Camera was acting up a bit, so this is the best I have with both data and video:

Here are 3 more laps from a different session, at least they are consistent:

Not terrible times for me, but not bests either. Thoughts appreciated.

-Mike
Old 01-12-2016, 02:24 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 990 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by TXE36
Upgraded the data in the race car. Added RPM, throttle position, brake light, and indirectly, gear selection, plus video overlay. What surprised me is I'm not on the gas as much as I think I am and I'm on the brakes more than I think I am. Like video, sometimes data can be harsh too. Maybe I should upgrade it to whisper this in my ear as I go around the track:

Less Brake, More Gas. How many f**king times do I need to say it?

Not terrible times for me, but not bests either. Thoughts appreciated.

-Mike
A quick watch and their was a huge coast at 1:30. With some good review, you can probably use this to close the gap between you and Dave pretty quick.
Old 01-12-2016, 02:42 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,299 Likes on 1,874 Posts

Like Matt says, the lowest hanging fruit is most easily discovered when you have access to "intelligent video," you not only SEE what you did but also juxtapose what your feet are doing on top of it, real-time. Nine times out of ten, what you did was NOT as good as you REMEMBER you did...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-12-2016, 03:47 PM
surlynkid
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe I should upgrade it to whisper this in my ear as I go around the track: Less Brake, More Gas.
I can still always hear ShakeNBake:

Gas Gas Gas
Go Go Go
That's enough brake
Too much brake.

That sums up his comments to me. I keep hearing and getting faster.
Old 01-12-2016, 04:02 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Mike, I like the looks of your new set up! And yeah, data (and video) doesn't lie

When we're at TWS in a couple weeks, let's discuss a game plan to help you pick up some of that low hanging fruit.
Old 01-12-2016, 05:24 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Thanks guys.

IMO, I need to start with T6 and T7. I'm not in the gas soon enough going into T6.

For T7, I'm lifting too much. If you go back to the side by side with Dave, our speed at T7 apex isn't all that different, 98 vs 96 MPH, but Dave is wound up to 100MPH at the exit of T7 and carries it into the T8 braking zone, while I just touch the century mark. I don't have throttle data for those sessions, but Dave had to have been much more into the throttle than I was as the line and apex speeds were very similar.

Another thing I noticed is my apex speeds at T7 were lower than the side by side video as well. I think it is due to me getting used to a "different" car, as the previous weekend I discovered the compression settings on the rear shocks were making the car nervous. This was documented here. The car feels much more planted now, and indeed I distinctly remember being able to hang the rear end out through T2 as well as T3 without drama, but for some reason, my confidence in T7 was lower. My apex speeds in the above videos for T7 were quite a bit lower. Indeed, it looks like I shift into 5th and take my foot off the gas almost to the T7 apex and then only get on it about 1/2 way all the way to the exit. 100% doesn't happen until nearly the braking zone for T8

In my armchair analysis this afternoon there is no reason why the throttle shouldn't be 100% planted at the apex of T7 with a correct line and dry track. My car simply doesn't have enough power to get into trouble with that kind of move.

So far it looks like the few hundred I spent on software and hardware upgrades was money well spent.

-Mike
Old 01-12-2016, 09:43 PM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Thanks guys.

IMO, I need to start with T6 and T7. I'm not in the gas soon enough going into T6.

For T7, I'm lifting too much. If you go back to the side by side with Dave, our speed at T7 apex isn't all that different, 98 vs 96 MPH, but Dave is wound up to 100MPH at the exit of T7 and carries it into the T8 braking zone, while I just touch the century mark. I don't have throttle data for those sessions, but Dave had to have been much more into the throttle than I was as the line and apex speeds were very similar.

Another thing I noticed is my apex speeds at T7 were lower than the side by side video as well. I think it is due to me getting used to a "different" car, as the previous weekend I discovered the compression settings on the rear shocks were making the car nervous. This was documented here. The car feels much more planted now, and indeed I distinctly remember being able to hang the rear end out through T2 as well as T3 without drama, but for some reason, my confidence in T7 was lower. My apex speeds in the above videos for T7 were quite a bit lower. Indeed, it looks like I shift into 5th and take my foot off the gas almost to the T7 apex and then only get on it about 1/2 way all the way to the exit. 100% doesn't happen until nearly the braking zone for T8

In my armchair analysis this afternoon there is no reason why the throttle shouldn't be 100% planted at the apex of T7 with a correct line and dry track. My car simply doesn't have enough power to get into trouble with that kind of move.

So far it looks like the few hundred I spent on software and hardware upgrades was money well spent.

-Mike
Mike:

You can't match this guys times necessarily as he's in 330rwhp E46M3 on sticker R7's, but given the hp of your car, I believe you can still learn from his commitment to 100% throttle.

Here's my assessment of areas to pick up time. I am sure I can't improve on Dave's input since he knows you and the car the best.

Turn 7 - maybe short shift between 6 and 7 and then get back to full throttle. You still need to figure out how much speed you want to carry and whether you can do it with a lift or if braking is needed. I'd say based on Eric Foss e36 323i videos, no more than a lift.

Turn 10 - all types of opinions on this one, but Tim Strehl has me coming in at angle over hump, aiming at start of curbing, brake-downshift and hug the inside corner. With this this approach I'm 1/3 of the way around when my brake and downshift is done.

Turn 14 - I think you turn in a tad early. Watch the video I sent you, Allan is full throttle right past of Apex of 14. You are much later to throttle. I think if you hold a heart beat longer at 13 you can get to throttle sooner after 14. With low-mid HP car, getting to gas sooner will probably add 3-4 mph speed by the end of the front straight.

Turn 1 - I think you should stay flat out past the transition and brake later than you do. That's easy time there and there's a ton more of space to get it done than you think.

Denis

Last edited by Thundermoose; 01-13-2016 at 09:11 AM.
Old 01-13-2016, 08:38 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Man oh man I could find that guy a bunch of time!
Old 01-13-2016, 09:12 AM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
Default ASK THE COACH

Tell me more...
Old 01-13-2016, 09:13 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Places he is braking where he should just do a lift. Places he is on-off-on-off the throttle because he is on the gas a tiny bit too soon... Places he is braking a bit too soon and because of terrain features, then having to stay on the brakes too long.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:58 AM
onefastviking
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree, lots of time left for that guy, especially if he really was on sticker R7's !

Quick Reply: ASK THE COACH