Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ASK THE COACH

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 08:32 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 194 Likes on 116 Posts

While we are waiting for Dave's response, I would just point out that basic data systems are becoming more and more affordable. E.g., the AiM Solo is now $400 (correction), includes a predictive lap timer, and for most people provides 80% of what more expensive systems do. For that relatively affordable cost, it seems to be a no-brainer supplement to coaching. And I'm sure your coach could help you interpret the data.

Last edited by vantage; 02-08-2012 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Aim Solo price should be $400 not $300.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:44 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,589 Likes on 830 Posts

Originally Posted by jkb157
Dave,I am entering my 3rd year of racing in pca.At present I do not have a data system and I am wondering how important it is if when using a coach?
To me, it can be very important. Not mandatory, but very very useful, enabling a much shorter learning curve. Data doesn't lie, and along with a good coach in the right seat, can quickly identify, isolate, and work to eliminate the bad habits we all have. In addition, if you ask your coach to do a few laps in your car, you will presumably have a baseline closer to the potential of your vehicle. And a good coach will be able to show you why you are slower, and how to get closer to what the coach's baseline data is...and then will get in the right seat with you and work through that plan to achieve it.

All this can be accoomplishhed w/o data, of course, but since so many folks learn visually, data (and a coach who is well versed at interpreting it) allows you to get a lot more for your coaching $.

Originally Posted by vantage
While we are waiting for Dave's response, I would just point out that basic data systems are becoming more and more affordable. E.g., the AiM Solo is now $300, includes a predictive lap timer, and for most people provides 80% of what more expensive systems do. For that relatively affordable cost, it seems to be a no-brainer supplement to coaching. And I'm sure your coach could help you interpret the data.
All true & agreed.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:45 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 935 Likes on 566 Posts

Here's an article Dave wrote about coacing and how he uses data. http://www.trailbrake.net/2/post/201...uses-data.html I'm guessing he'll say it's very important. I would bet that Peter (Lolaman) would agree too.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:46 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Matt!!
Old 02-08-2012, 08:50 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,192 Likes on 1,841 Posts

You addressed this question to Dave, but I can say that NO coach worth their salt can do a very serious and top-flight job without data. Dave has been a great proponent of data and uses it with (nearly) every driver he works with.

As vantage pointed out, the new data systems (AiM Solo is $399) are specifically designed to present the information in such a way that an intermediate or advanced driver can coach themselves, as well.

By that, I mean the driver themselves can evaluate and identify areas that a) require the most improvement, b) quantify which skill set is most deficient and c) measure if there was an improvement or not.

There are few coaches that can, through their own butt-dyno, sketch a braking deceleration trace over distance as accurately as it can be measured and displayed, but this is a snap with just about any of the recognized systems that are out now. AiM, Traqmate, RacePak, Race-Keeper, Race Technology, VBOX and MoTeC are the ones I use and that you should consider.

Dave and I both like the simplicity and portability of the Traqmate Basic. The AiM Solo will do the same thing, with a little more complicated (yet more powerful and configurable) software. Good luck!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Last edited by ProCoach; 02-08-2012 at 08:52 PM. Reason: <oops, VR and Matt beat me to the punch! >
Old 02-08-2012, 08:56 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Everything Peter says above is 100% spot on. I will amplify on one of his points: a good coach will show you how to self coach using your own data.

This IMO is a crucial point, because few of us can afford to have a coach with us every time we go to the track. But if we learn what to look for, how to interpret it, and how to change our behavior behind the wheel to solve the issues our interpretation shows us, we will significantly improve our driving even when we are alone. On a race weekend or even a DE weekend, it is easy to get lazy, and not download & look at our data until the end of the day. We are chatting with our friends, ogling other cars, etc. But watch the really fast folks. I would venture that the vast majority of them spend a bit of time after EACH session quickly (and quietly) looking at & digesting their data, and building an action plan for their next session.

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 02-08-2012 at 10:15 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-14-2012, 12:24 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

I wrote up a little blog post in January for a friend that was interested in how I started with and normally use data acquisition. It's pretty basic, but might help others get over the hump. :-)

-mike
Old 02-14-2012, 11:23 PM
guardsredcab
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Data Black Hole

Mike, Thanks for bringing your blog to our attention. I got totally lost in data last year after Santa brought me a Traqmate. I can't imagine what would happen if I had MoTeC. Your suggestions to simplify what you look at to make it more useful... well, let's just say they are welcome. Enjoyed your turn of a phrase too...
a coke laced stripper pointing the way to the Promise Land!
Look forward to reading more.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:39 AM
MattUF
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

This is straying a little bit from the point of this thread but I figured this would be the best place to ask it: can any of the coaches recommend a video of a boxster at Sebring driving the correct racing line? Just something I'd like to be able to watch to get a feel for where I need to make adjustments/improvements. Thanks!
Old 02-22-2012, 09:57 AM
mikemdd
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Spent the last week reading all 50 pages of this topic.....very helpful and informative.

I have a couple of very basic questions back on the topic of H&T:

- I continue to struggle with modulating brake pressure while blipping for the H&T shift (997.1 GT3 with ceramics). There was a recommendation earlier for keeping your heel on the floor as reference which makes sense and might help. However, it just seems difficult place x pressure on the brake while putting y pressure on the accelorator with the same foot. Maybe just me and more practice needed....

- I think I may know the obvious answer, but to confirm, when in the braking zone, do you brake initially with the clutch out and only go clutch in when downshifting?

Thanks
Old 02-22-2012, 09:59 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mikemdd
- I think I may know the obvious answer, but to confirm, when in the braking zone, do you brake initially with the clutch out and only go clutch in when downshifting?

Thanks

Yes.

Porsche pedals are very nicely placed, and they make it relatively easy to simply roll the outside of your right foot over to pop the gas pedal without noticeably rolling off the brake pedal.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:13 PM
Adam@Autometrics
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a great example of proper footwork. I'm confident he keeps his heel on the floor at all times. The clutch should only be used when changing gears, and always be disengaged (pushed) very quickly and then released as soon and quickly as possible. If quick clutch motions jerk the car, then continue to focus on proper technique/timing. H&T shifting can be effectively (though not perfectly) practiced on the street.
And since its a FAQ, the left foot brake taps have two goals 1) confirm the brakes are still firm and 2) set the pads against the rotors in case of knock-back.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:24 PM
mikemdd
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Excellent video. The footwork is amazing. It looks so easy....
Old 02-22-2012, 01:49 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Adam@Autometrics
Here is a great example of proper footwork. I'm confident he keeps his heel on the floor at all times. The clutch should only be used when changing gears, and always be disengaged (pushed) very quickly and then released as soon and quickly as possible. If quick clutch motions jerk the car, then continue to focus on proper technique/timing. H&T shifting can be effectively (though not perfectly) practiced on the street.
And since its a FAQ, the left foot brake taps have two goals 1) confirm the brakes are still firm and 2) set the pads against the rotors in case of knock-back.
Yup yup yup!!!!!
Old 02-23-2012, 12:04 PM
mpaton
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemdd
Excellent video. The footwork is amazing. It looks so easy....
It looks east because in his car it IS easy when you have electronic assist on engine rpm during upshifts like all 997 Cups. This car also appears to have an auto blipper fitted for downshifts, so his right foot doesn't need to do any of the 2 pedal operation that you need to do in your 997 GT3.

Never mind heel on the floor, that car could use LFB all the time except for stopping.

I'll also come out in favor of NOT keeping your heel on the floor. Unless you have the sequential and auto-blipper.

Quick Reply: ASK THE COACH