Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ASK THE COACH

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 09:31 AM
AdamBrouillard
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys. "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
Old 10-29-2017, 09:49 AM
zzyzx
Instructor

Originally Posted by AdamBrouillard
Thanks guys. "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."

Good advice, and great to see you back on this thread!
Old 10-30-2017, 07:27 AM
zzyzx
Instructor

I have another question related to one I asked a few pages ago.

On a formation lap: when warming up the tires by heating up the brake rotors using acceleration then braking, is there also benefit in using the gas and brake at the same time. In other words, getting hard on the gas but keeping the car from accelerating by holding it with the brakes. I realize this doesn't create as much heat as accelerating-braking since you're not creating as much friction, but does it create enough friction/heat to do any good? Acceleration-braking is obviously preferred, but on a formation lap there isn't much room or time to do this.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:06 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,192 Likes on 1,841 Posts

Originally Posted by zzyzx
I have another question related to one I asked a few pages ago.

On a formation lap: when warming up the tires by heating up the brake rotors using acceleration then braking, is there also benefit in using the gas and brake at the same time. In other words, getting hard on the gas but keeping the car from accelerating by holding it with the brakes. I realize this doesn't create as much heat as accelerating-braking since you're not creating as much friction, but does it create enough friction/heat to do any good? Acceleration-braking is obviously preferred, but on a formation lap there isn't much room or time to do this.
Conscientious drivers “drag” the brakes as part of the temperature normalizing process on opening laps in practice/qualifying and pace laps. Competition and high performance brake friction materials are similar to competition and high performance tires in that they have markedly sub-optimal performance below a temperature threshold.

Dragging the brakes (applying throttle with brakes) not only heats the friction material and the rotors but also creates the belt movement within the tire carcass, causing friction and generating heat to warm the tire from the inside out. In longer laps, brake temps getting warm enough can transmit radiant heat to the wheels and contact heat through the hub (since the rotor is closest) up to the wheel.

Simple answer, yes!
Old 10-30-2017, 04:57 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 935 Likes on 566 Posts

Everything I've read on tire heatings (including from F1 tire studeis) says that swerving and brakes transfer very little heat. Spinning the tires gets lots of surface temp, but not deep temp throughout the tire. Dragging the brakes will heat the pads and rotors, but put minimal temp in the tires. The best methods to heat are either wide, long arc swerving and/or acceleration/deceleration to get the tire carcass to deform as Peter said.

There is a great article from Colin Braun on this in Speed Secrets Weekly and the October 2017 issue of Race Tech Magazine.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:57 PM
Kevin Fennell
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Where can I find a good guide to improving myself via my own data traces? Or if such a thing doesn't exist, what is the low hanging fruit, where do I start?
Old 11-09-2017, 01:18 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I think the basic bibliography for doing this should include numbers 1, 6 and 7 on the attached list.

To start with, I would watch these:

For karting, but this is a great braking review for benchmarking CAR performance:

For gauging consistency:

A webinar I gave to help drivers "benchmark" their performance and how to improve. For Traqmate, but works with all decent data systems: http://store.traqmate.com/category-s/355.htm

I have constantly updated PowerPoints, PDF's and links here: http://peterkrause.net/Krause_%26_As...Resources.html
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
TMI Handout.pdf (237.5 KB, 495 views)
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 11-09-2017, 01:34 PM
Kevin Fennell
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks! That is definitely more then enough to get started with!
Old 11-09-2017, 01:49 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Kevin Fennell
Thanks! That is definitely more then enough to get started with!
Hahahaha! Yep, can get carried away but some folks have a longer winter than others! <grin>
Old 11-11-2017, 12:33 PM
gieteer
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello!

I've got a hystorical question. As we all know, the Porsche PDK Gearbox was originally created for a Porsche 956 from Group C, but - some website (like this: http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/spec/...rsche-956.html ) says that the 956 was mated with a 5-speed manual. Also the onboard cameras from 956 and 962C shows that the drivers uses a gearshift, like here:

I'm a bit confused. So the 956 had w PDK gearbox or the 5-speed manual? Or the PDK was just tested in 956/962C but never used in racing? Or, in PDK at that time gears wasn't selected by the paddles but the gearshift (which is kinda nonsense for me). What's your opinion?
Old 11-11-2017, 12:41 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Very different setup, different than today.

It was a sequential and it was an external mechanism acting on the shifter that incorporated throttle cut and clutch release.

From the man himself: http://www.automobilemag.com/news/de...pdk-interview/

More of the tech of Sportomatic, Tiptronic and PDK here: https://blog.caranddriver.com/shift-...transmissions/

If at first you don't succeed...

"Besides requiring a learning curve, PDK was only reliable in the sense that it would reliably explode every so often, chucking shafts, gears, actuators, and the like all over the racetrack. It’s said that each time Porsche tracked down a problem and fixed it, something new went wrong. This character flaw ultimately delayed its deployment in a production car for a number of decades..."
Old 11-11-2017, 12:53 PM
gieteer
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I didn't considered that it could be a sequential lever like WRC cars instead of a paddles :P

Very big thanks to you, this article is everything I was searching for!
Old 11-13-2017, 12:31 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 935 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin Fennell
Where can I find a good guide to improving myself via my own data traces? Or if such a thing doesn't exist, what is the low hanging fruit, where do I start?
I have some materials on my website at http://www.trailbrake.net/featured-articles

There are also the whole set up videos from AiM https://www.youtube.com/user/aimdata

James Colburn has done some great videos as well https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...8iHBjjNDnCNCTf

If you want to do a webinar, there is John Block's webinar series (let him know I told you to check it out). They are worth 10x what he charges! http://auto-ware.com/

Also check out Chris Brown's Book
Amazon Amazon
It's the most easily read and understood data book (IMHO).
Old 11-15-2017, 05:27 PM
tahoelife
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If choosing to upgrade from Traqmate-Traqdash to AIM what are the key AIM components required? Are my current Mobius cameras compatible?
Old 11-15-2017, 06:09 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by tahoelife
If choosing to upgrade from Traqmate-Traqdash to AIM what are the key AIM components required? Are my current Mobius cameras compatible?
As a decade-long dealer for both systems, the approaches are very different. Short answer is that the Mobius cameras cannot be used with AiM.

The principal benefit of the AiM system over the Traqmate requires the use of both an AiM logger (like the Traqmate Classic or TraqDash Complete) AND the AiM camera (MUCH more powerful, capable and time-saving than the Mobius/Replay/GoPro/Sony/ChaseCam).

With the Traqmate, the logger creates the data and you save it on your computer. Then you can take any video (but the Mobius, the last iteration of video provided for the Traqmate, is turned on and off by the Traqmate) and save it to your computer. Then, you open your Traqview software, open your run, select video, point it to the saved video file that MATCHES that session, and a window pops up within the analysis (squiggly lines and maps) window. You can choose to have the speed, g's lap times, lap count and Traqmate's own indicators for gas (ANY forward thrust equals a green light) and brake (any slowing MORE than -.3g, the upper limit of coasting) shows as a red light.

There's no way to put anything other than revs from the car ON the Traqmate video, but this is where AiM moves the game forward!

With the AiM, you still have to download the data from the logger, but the shortcut in the workflow over the Traqmate is that you can pull the SD card from the AIM camera and SEE ALL the channels you have provided to the logger ON the video, recorded REAL TIME. Plus, you can add throttle and brake sensors to an older car like an SPB and SEE a green bar corresponding to the ACTUAL throttle position at that time, a brake pressure sensor showing an ACTUAL brake pressure reading at that time, all DONE and ready to play and review thirty seconds after you get into the paddock from your run.

It's a different architecture, and IMO, the learning curve to get the same information out of the AiM as you do from the Traqmate IN THE ANALYSIS PROGRAMS ONLY, is much steeper, but ultimately more productive and of much greater benefit.

Because I started selling Race Technology in 2001 and Traqmate in 2005, I was comfortable and familiar with those systems (well, as comfortable as you can get with the RT system, TM was MUCH easier) and didn't want to leave that ecosystem. In 2009, Chad Brackens recruited me to become an AiM dealer, and again, it was a struggle for me because there were NO resources like there are now to learn this stuff, and AiM STILL has a long way to go with their documentation and learning resources beyond the excellent Roger Caddell and John Block.

After three years, I was getting into the groove and discovered that there was MUCH more I could convey to my private coaching clients with AiM systems over Traqmate, so many of the folks I'd sold one of the thousand or so Traqmate systems to could feel confident moving onto a more powerful system, simply because there was only so much the TM could do.

This year, I will sell more than $300K of AiM equipment and half again as much MoTeC and VBOX, so clearly people see the value, and I am comfortable teaching people to coach themselves using these great tools!

I was intent on starting my private coaching business over ten years ago hinged on OBJECTIVE DRIVER MEASUREMENT and evaluation, not subjective observation. These tools, ALL of them, helped contribute to my (and others) success, but mostly because they became easier to use, provided more information in a shorter period of time, at a reasonable cost. Better information, too!

Be glad to take this offlist and talk to you about the pros and cons of making the transition to a more powerful, automated and easy to use tool for you to go even FASTER!

Quick Reply: ASK THE COACH