ASK THE COACH

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 11:49 AM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
Default ASK THE COACH

Originally Posted by onefastviking
Agree, lots of time left for that guy, especially if he really was on sticker R7's !
You guys are tough. There aren't too many cars in TTB trim that have posted faster times at TWS. Not saying there isn't time, but I wouldn't characterize it as "a lot."

Now my driving has "a lot" of room for improvement.

In any event, let's work together to get Mike his sub 2:00 lap before worrying too much about getting Allan's TTB car into the 1:49's.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:02 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundermoose
Turn 14 - I think you turn in a tad early. Watch the video I sent you, Allan is full throttle right past of Apex of 14. You are much later to throttle. I think if you hold a heart beat longer at 13 you can get to throttle sooner after 14. With low-mid HP car, getting to gas sooner will probably add 3-4 mph speed by the end of the front straight.

Turn 1 - I think you should stay flat out past the transition and brake later than you do. That's easy time there and there's a ton more of space to get it done than you think.

Denis
You know, something else I think I'm doing is apexing a touch early in a lot of the corners. One thing I know is my feel for the limit is pretty good, thus if I'm not comfortable applying throttle, usually something is off. Historically, for me, that something is commonly an early apex.

I used to be really bad about being early on T3, and consciously worked at it. In my videos, above, T3 is about the only non-setup turn other than T4 that doesn't look just a bit early to me.

Mike:
Turn 10 - all types of opinions on this one, but Tim Strehl has me coming in at angle over hump, aiming at start of curbing, brake-downshift and hug the inside corner. With this this approach I'm 1/3 of the way around when my brake and downshift is done.

Denis
On Saturday I was playing with the TraqStudio video theoretical best lap and the segment it picked for the carousel has me doing exactly what you describe above. I need to go back and dig that up.

-Mike
Old 01-13-2016, 12:28 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Denis, valid point. However, picking up a half second to a full second in 1-2, a couple tenths in 3, a couple tenths to maybe half second in 6, a couple tenths in 7, and a couple tenths in 12, for example, sure do add up! And they are all there for him especially on stickers...
Old 01-13-2016, 12:36 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He really could do better, no time to sit here typing today and explain but we can go over the video at the next event and I can show you. I can ride with you and help you too. FYI, Stein ran a 2:00.8 in his SpecMiata last Saturday, TXE36 can run faster than that in VR's old car easy, he just needs a little explanation as to what he needs to do and why, he will get there.
And the TTB car still has 1.5-20 seconds he is leaving on the table also, sticker R7's are freakin crack once you utilize them, he just needs a little more faith.

See you at the track,
Viking

You guys are tough. There aren't too many cars in TTB trim that have posted faster times at TWS. Not saying there isn't time, but I wouldn't characterize it as "a lot."

Now my driving has "a lot" of room for improvement.

In any event, let's work together to get Mike his sub 2:00 lap before worrying too much about getting Allan's TTB car into the 1:49's.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:46 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

FYI, Stein ran a 2:00.8 in his SpecMiata last Saturday, TXE36 can run faster than that in VR's old car easy, he just needs a little explanation as to what he needs to do and why, he will get there.
Viking
Hey! I've already done that with a 2:00.7 . I don't get to brag very often, I gotta take what I can get .

Not to disparage Mr. Stein. Pedaling a Miata to 2's or sub 2's at TWS is no small feat.

Maybe I just need to go back to Haas' advice during my White check ride (all delivered extremely dry): "Why are you going so f**king slow?" "Put it on the floor." "Is it on the floor?" all while making passes through T2-T1 CW while I thought I was holding on by my fingernails .

-Mike
Old 01-13-2016, 12:59 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Mike, as I said, we can discuss a specific action plan in a couple weeks.
Old 01-13-2016, 01:07 PM
Brainofjjj
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 150 Posts

Do you guys know of any good videos and track notes for MSRH? I've never driven and will be there with Nasa next weekend
Old 01-13-2016, 01:12 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

It's like Yoda and Luke, what was so obvious to Yoda wasn't so obvious to Luke.
Dave and I both see it quite clearly, Dave said he'd help you, I can too if you'd like, you are in good hands if you want to listen,try, and improve. It's there, I'm thinking you have a 1:56-1:55 in you without too much more effort, I know that seems like a lot, but 2/10's in every corner at TWS and you just dropped 3 seconds !

Originally Posted by TXE36
Hey! I've already done that with a 2:00.7 . I don't get to brag very often, I gotta take what I can get .

Not to disparage Mr. Stein. Pedaling a Miata to 2's or sub 2's at TWS is no small feat.

Maybe I just need to go back to Haas' advice during my White check ride (all delivered extremely dry): "Why are you going so f**king slow?" "Put it on the floor." "Is it on the floor?" all while making passes through T2-T1 CW while I thought I was holding on by my fingernails .

-Mike
Old 01-13-2016, 01:17 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

The SM has about half your horsepower, close to the same weight, no 3 way Motons, less tire, and is a girls car. 2:00.x in a Miata at TWS is pretty good. I suspect that Stein can do better still, I think he recently made a big step (revelation) in progress in his driving, although I still see more as he learns a few more concepts.

Viking

[QUOTE=TXE36;12923387]Hey! I've already done that with a 2:00.7 . I don't get to brag very often, I gotta take what I can get .

-Mike[/QUOTE]
Old 01-13-2016, 01:19 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

I believe I have some from a Cup car on my computer that are quite respectable, I'll have to find them and upload them somewhere.
What will you be driving ?

Originally Posted by Brainofjjj
Do you guys know of any good videos and track notes for MSRH? I've never driven and will be there with Nasa next weekend
Old 01-13-2016, 01:29 PM
Brainofjjj
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 150 Posts

Thanks, anything would be helpful. I have a bmw 3 series sedan, Spec E46.

I believe I have some from a Cup car on my computer that are quite respectable, I'll have to find them and upload them somewhere.
What will you be driving ?
Old 01-13-2016, 01:35 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

The Cup car video I have would be considerably faster and was on slicks so keep that in mind. It will show you a super fast line around MSRH though. I'll try to find it tonight.

Do you know what direction the NASA event will driving MSRH ?

You can also go online and find something that you may know already that is more comparable to your car and speed, I know there is plenty of videos out there. Search youtube and Vimeo for MSR-H or MSRH or MSR Houston.
Old 01-13-2016, 01:39 PM
surlynkid
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

The fastest SM guys are in the 1:58's now. The talent is so close that the top 2/3 of the field seem to be with 2 seconds of each other.
Old 01-13-2016, 01:42 PM
surlynkid
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

We are running CW. Watch the MSRH videos of the same TTB driver posted earlier. PoBoyR6 on YouTube. He is in E46 M3 which should be faster than Spec E46 but the line should help you.
Old 01-13-2016, 01:45 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by surlynkid
The fastest SM guys are in the 1:58's now. The talent is so close that the top 2/3 of the field seem to be with 2 seconds of each other.
Yep, and Stein is still in a old 1.6 that's down on HP over most cars so that's why I know he can do better, both himself and in a better car.
Taking his car to the dyno this week to see if some changes we made helped the power any, my guess is that the changes brought him up a few HP but he is by no means at the power levels of a "Pro" (cost and reliability isn't an object) motor that many of the top guys are running.

But I'll get him down sub 2:00 at TWS very soon.

Quick Reply: ASK THE COACH