CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What the ?
Old 11-29-2010, 09:20 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,671 Likes on 862 Posts

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 04-27-2011 at 08:45 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:47 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

Mike, Which under drive pulley did you use? Aftermarket or if OEM which one?
Old 11-30-2010, 12:48 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

Also, where did you get the belt to use with the smaller pulley...

Last edited by CWhaley; 11-30-2010 at 12:49 PM. Reason: more info
Old 11-30-2010, 01:33 PM
onefastviking
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CWhaley
Mike, Which under drive pulley did you use? Aftermarket or if OEM which one?
He still runs the stock pulley. Its not really much a hp improvement, atleast nothing you can measure, it does help the ps a little but he has yet to have any issues there.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:35 PM
onefastviking
Race Car

The Tarrett one is very nice, and much lighter than most. The belt you use can be purchased at most auto part stores once you determine the correct length. I can look on one of the cars and probably tell you which length we are using. There are 2 in the shop now with shorter belts and pulleys.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:36 PM
coinboy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do not run the under-drive pulley either. If they made one for just the PS then I would do that, just to stop the small amount of leaking it does sometimes. But I do not like that it under-drives the water pump as well. I do not need less cooling...
Old 11-30-2010, 01:51 PM
onefastviking
Race Car

Originally Posted by coinboy
I do not run the under-drive pulley either. If they made one for just the PS then I would do that, just to stop the small amount of leaking it does sometimes. But I do not like that it under-drives the water pump as well. I do not need less cooling...

The % of cooling loss it does is minimal also and may actually even help, but thats a whole new thread. No cooling issues on the other cars I have with the smaller pulley. Actually they seem to even run cooler although this could be possible for a few reasons.

Keeping the ps filled at just the right level seems to help the leakage, or lack of overheating and leakage of the ps. In my personal experience.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:15 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by onefastviking
The % of cooling loss it does is minimal also and may actually even help, but thats a whole new thread. No cooling issues on the other cars I have with the smaller pulley. Actually they seem to even run cooler although this could be possible for a few reasons.

Keeping the ps filled at just the right level seems to help the leakage, or lack of overheating and leakage of the ps. In my personal experience.
Viking how hot did Jay get the temps up to in Friday's qual race? That when my old, gunked up radiators failed me and I ran at 230-235. Probably (but who knows) the source of my rod failure. New radiators and new motor rarely see 200....
Old 11-30-2010, 02:54 PM
onefastviking
Race Car

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Viking how hot did Jay get the temps up to in Friday's qual race? That when my old, gunked up radiators failed me and I ran at 230-235. Probably (but who knows) the source of my rod failure. New radiators and new motor rarely see 200....
We saw it creep just above 210 in one of the short practices or quals and I was unhappy with that and did a few things at that point to keep it running cooler. The less dense air at Miller really kills you, it doesn't feel hot but the less density just doesn't cool as well.

Do you run the smaller underdrive pulley ? I think the stock pulley can cause it to run hotter, or hot, when run WOT throttle like we do.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:12 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

We saw it creep just above 210 in one of the short practices or quals and I was unhappy with that and did a few things at that point to keep it running cooler. The less dense air at Miller really kills you, it doesn't feel hot but the less density just doesn't cool as well.

Do you run the smaller underdrive pulley ? I think the stock pulley can cause it to run hotter, or hot, when run WOT throttle like we do.
Yea I've got the 4" smaller pulley. My problem was the radiators which were gummed up and I didn't know it. I probably hadn't really looked at them all year which speaks volumes for my maintenance routine. I heard the GT3 water pump has a smaller pulley and pushes more water. Any truth?
Old 12-01-2010, 02:29 AM
onefastviking
Race Car

I'm not sure about the GT3 wasserpumpers but can check and see. I would guess different impellers and housings for better flow. Were your rads clogged inside or just with track junk on the outside ?

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Yea I've got the 4" smaller pulley. My problem was the radiators which were gummed up and I didn't know it. I probably hadn't really looked at them all year which speaks volumes for my maintenance routine. I heard the GT3 water pump has a smaller pulley and pushes more water. Any truth?
Old 12-01-2010, 08:24 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

I'm not sure about the GT3 wasserpumpers but can check and see. I would guess different impellers and housings for better flow. Were your rads clogged inside or just with track junk on the outside ?
Track junk on the outside and lots of it. Hard to see how gummed up they were from just a cursory inspection. I ran a lot of races this year and that took it's toll. I relaced the center one, and sonic dipped the side ones. They look and operate like new now....
Old 12-01-2010, 10:25 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 615 Likes on 471 Posts

Do you fellas mind sharing your ride height and toe specs? Specifically what front and rear heights do you run when measuring from the factory measuring points? And how much F/R toe do you run? I am interested what you've found to work well since my 02 is out of whack.

Thanks!
Old 12-01-2010, 10:36 AM
onefastviking
Race Car

Originally Posted by garrett376
Do you fellas mind sharing your ride height and toe specs? Specifically what front and rear heights do you run when measuring from the factory measuring points? And how much F/R toe do you run? I am interested what you've found to work well since my 02 is out of whack.

Thanks!

Are you running a Spec996 or something else ? Both JR and I run cars that are pretty substantially more than a Spec996. JR runs slicks and I run Hoosiers, that in itself is worthy or an alignment change over the Spec tires, we also run different shocks, tire sizes, weights, etc etc.
That being said tell us what you have for a car and I'll give you my thoughts on a starting point for it. Also, is your car a C4 ? Or C2 ? Keep in mind that alignments as well as car setup (stiffness,ride height,etc) vary from one person to another almost as much as oil preference. It's really most important that you do a setup that you,the driver, are comfortable driving and can drive consistently. Being able to put down one fast lap and then spinning on the next 3 laps is not a good setup.

Quick Reply: SPEC 996 "New PCA Class for 2011"