Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

2010 Singapore Grand Prix

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 05:23 PM
9.5 Degrees
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
This is THE definition of Kismet, good fortune, or whatever you want to call it. Obviously it is smiling on Webber now. Amazing that he went 25 laps with the bead unseated.
I'm sure everyone on pitlane could see this hence Jensen Button pushing like mad to put pressure on Webber. IF Button could get Webber to go faster than he wanted and popped that tire, he would have done the team proud on knocking out the WDC leader when he knocked out his teammate.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:24 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
Larry, maybe this will help...
From the Post Race interview:

Raj
Ok, I guess that the chance really wasn't there.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 09-27-2010, 05:55 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Success begets confidence, and vice versa. Alonso appeared to be using more of the track than competitors, often coming within inches of walls. Not sure if he had to work the car harder to stay in front or was just more in the zone than others but it's nice to see him getting his groove back. And Webber kept the pressure on. Vettel and Hamilton continue to wilt - be interesting to see if they can turn it around last few races. Still an open championship.

And can somebody please tell me what planet Schumacher was driving on? Jeez. Take the seven titles and multi-millions and go play in sports cars and babysit over-the-hill wannabes like us for Mercedes.

The Ferrari is not in the same league as the RB nor the Mclaren , Alonso is pedaling for all he is worth ....

I would have thought that once Alonso committed to the pit lane, Seb could have continued on for one more lap, put down a scorcher, and maybe have jumped him in the pit stop. Guess that it didn't occur to them.
It was RB that blinked first not Ferrari.....

Looking at the video, it appears to me that Hamilton's car was damaged more by bounding over the curbing than by the actual collision with Webber. Certainly a racing incident based upon the two protagonists. Hamilton just seems to put himself in that vulnerable position more than others, and Webber will run people that try to pinch him off. Maybe that's why Webber got past Schumacher so easily.
Hamilton had a lot more pace than Webber and 30 + laps to get the job done.. It was a bone head move, worst when you factor in his lost points the race before and his championship position. He should have and could have waited for a better opportunity..

Webber is Coulthard in blue when it comes to passing ...Hamilton's comments afterwords was even more telling ....

Originally Posted by chris walrod
Its a well known fact that Ferrari front end geometry is set such when on pole, the car drifts towards the other side of the track. However, its complex enough that it occurs only on lap one.
Yes , no ackerman , plenty Schumacher....

Yes, brilliant work by Ferrari, but RBR could have been a lot craftier and when they saw Ferrari reacting and stayed out for one more lap.
How.......?

Alonso had more pace than Seb all race and could respond to any move he made without issues......

Funny how the amigos still find it hard to give Alonso his due ....

Alonso is the best driver in F1 and has been so since 2005, nothing to do with Ferrari. Ferrari now has a driver that knows where to find the goal post . Funny when Alonso was 90 + points behind , he said we can win this! we will not give , we will push..

Hamilton on the other hand , said yesterday , after his little bobble, forget the championship! !!!!!!!

Move of the Race :

Kobyashi giving Schumacher a Schumacher , then Satoing the guard rail

Next:

Ahhh Japan should be another Red Bull track, Yes sir, but they have no Alonso and it's very obvious Ferrari is very happy, Yes Sir .... Very happy ...In the past they have won when they had the best car on the track, not so this year ...........

Is that Damon Hill behind Alonso .....

Last edited by A.Wayne; 10-01-2013 at 03:26 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:19 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
How.......?

Alonso had more pace than Seb all race and could respond to any move he made without issues......
Not to beat a dead horse, again, but once RBR telegraphed Vettel's move to the pits and Alonso ducked into the pit lane, Vettel who was far enough behind could have stayed out for another lap. If that lap could have been faster than Alonso's out lap on the primes, he may have been able to pit and get out in front of Alonso, and based upon the first 5 corners after the pit exit being "un-passable", Vettel could have held him off until his tires came up to temp. It was his only chance.

Am I done explaining now?
Old 09-27-2010, 06:56 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,280 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Alonso hasn't done anything so special. Ferrari is giving him their full attention and Massa's car gets parts from the F2009 parts bin. How is Massa always having the technical and mechanical issues and not Alonso?

At Spa, Alonso spun out and crashed on his own. DNF

At Monza, he was running 2nd until his crew got him out of the pits faster and he won that way.

At Singapore he had the fastest car and won from pole. Where is the "special" in the past 3 races? To say the Ferrari is the third fastest car on grid is just silly and you don't know F1. The F10 of Alonso is as fast or faster than either Red Bull. Massa's car is as fast as Kimi's car last year. 'Nuff said.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:58 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It's going to be interesting to see the "spin" applied to the 2010 F1 season if Alonso wins the WDC by the difference between 1st and 2nd place courtesy of the "what team orders?" race earlier in the season.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:07 PM
enduro911
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm going to let the post-to-post combat over Alonso be fought out without interfering. The only things I have to add are these:

1. Hamilton is not the kind of driver that does well dealing with an excess amount of pressure. Super talented and quick, but as soon as things start going wrong, he flips out, and in some of those times when things aren't going well, it's been obvious that he makes on track mistakes. It doesn't surprise me that he thinks it's all over. I don't think it is (consider if in Japan Alonso and Webber take each other out, Vettel stalls in the pits, and Massa finishes no higher than second), but he also might be subtley referring to the fact that the Evil Empire has stalled in their development process. It also takes the pressure off him because he's trying to make it all upside for himself.

2. Ferrari have REALLY closed the gap and it's surprised me so much, I decided to read up and research as much as I could (yes I'm a geek, bite me ). The combination of getting the Fduct system to work, the overrun mapping for the exhaust, developments to maximize its effect using different diffusers, and new front wings have brought the F10 from a slowly declining dog to possibly being on par with RB. I've even heard rumors about a legal traction control system, but have nothing to confirm or deny that rumore. That said, I still wouldn't count Newey out of the picture - he's too good at what he does, but it does appear that Team Jersey Shore has pulled together as a cohesive unit. Alonso for his part has been nothing but supportive off the track, but made some mistakes on it. If he wins the championship, we can look at the fact that his support and need to try and improve his own driving as well as the car went a long way. If he doesn't, we can point to the number of points he left on the table and relish the fact that I think that if the team and his own performance next year are like the second part of this year, they could be a real threat.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:28 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,280 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
It's going to be interesting to see the "spin" applied to the 2010 F1 season if Alonso wins the WDC by the difference between 1st and 2nd place courtesy of the "what team orders?" race earlier in the season.
I'm loving this. ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL the things Spinster Wayne has said about MS is coming back to haunt him now with Alonso. The MOVEOVER orders, the #1 driver status within the team, custom parts make for his car, Alonso's lack of Mechanical Issues vs. his teammate, the teammate getting old pieces from the parts bin for Massa, everything.... yes everything to be considered a TRUE FAUX CHAMPION!!!
Old 09-27-2010, 07:45 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
You make it sound like, you would give him his due if the points gap is more than the difference between 1st and 2nd place. C'mon now. Let's get serious.
It is what it is, some people will never accept his excellence, while other's will.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:46 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 9.5 Degrees
Tell that to the Finn. Ferrari and The Tifosi loved Schumacher, Kimi and Alonso. It didn't matter what flag they waved.

It's perfectly fine to pull for your countrymen, but putting down others when your driver (Kimi) was displayed by that team shows something about a mans character. I'm done with this subject.
I don't think you understand what I was trying to say so please accept my apologies for hurting your feelings, that certainly wasn't my intention.

P.S. I don't think Tifosi never really loved their drivers that much, 1st and foremost, they love Ferrari.
I still remember when Alboreto (IIRC correctly, in Lotus) DNFd from the 1st place in Monza, giving the lead to a Ferrari (driven by non-Italian) and crowd going crazy and cheering!
Old 09-27-2010, 08:49 PM
PPo
Drifting

Originally Posted by ltc
Didn't understand the RBR strategy during the race.
Vettel made it very clear in the post race interview that they wanted to run more laps then the Ferrari, and do exactly what Larry suggested. But his tires where done, and he was struggling to keep up the pace. Vettel had to pit or risk a larger gap or even worse crash the car.

I think this shows just how dominant the Ferrari was in Singapore... but I highly doubt they will be able to repeat this in Japan. Any podium finish for Alonso or Massa in Japan would be impressive IMHO.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:55 PM
PPo
Drifting

Not to beat a dead horse, again, but once RBR telegraphed Vettel's move to the pits and Alonso ducked into the pit lane, Vettel who was far enough behind could have stayed out for another lap. If that lap could have been faster than Alonso's out lap on the primes, he may have been able to pit and get out in front of Alonso, and based upon the first 5 corners after the pit exit being "un-passable", Vettel could have held him off until his tires came up to temp. It was his only chance.

Larry.. I totally get what you are saying, but RBR admitted they didn't have the tires or pace to get it done using that strategy.

But you do bring up a valid point, it would have not made that much of a difference to at least try... perhaps they where happy with second, perhaps they didn't want to risk a crash due to worn out tires and pushin hard.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:32 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Pete
I'm loving this. ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL the things Spinster Wayne has said about MS is coming back to haunt him now with Alonso. The MOVEOVER orders, the #1 driver status within the team, custom parts make for his car, Alonso's lack of Mechanical Issues vs. his teammate, the teammate getting old pieces from the parts bin for Massa, everything.... yes everything to be considered a TRUE FAUX CHAMPION!!!
Just waiting for the spin, logic and facts be damned.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:38 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

You make it sound like, you would give him his due if the points gap is more than the difference between 1st and 2nd place. C'mon now. Let's get serious.
It is what it is, some people will never accept his excellence, while other's will.
Alonso is due nothing, IMHO, given his recent exploits and lack of any responsibility.

It would be absolutely ironic if his engine went "kablamo" at Suzuka and he lost the WDC, just as he won the WDC at Suzuka when Schumachers engine failed.

As for the Ferrari performance, I would thank Santander for allowing Luca to write Mr. Fry a nice paycheck.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:54 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

I understand your point larry , but based on what was happening on sunday it was unpossible by Vettel ...

Originally Posted by ltc
LOL... try as you might this one is going in deep ..........

Originally Posted by enduro911
I'm going to let the post-to-post combat over Alonso be fought out without interfering. The only things I have to add are these:

1. Hamilton is not the kind of driver that does well dealing with an excess amount of pressure. Super talented and quick, but as soon as things start going wrong, he flips out, and in some of those times when things aren't going well, it's been obvious that he makes on track mistakes. It doesn't surprise me that he thinks it's all over. I don't think it is (consider if in Japan Alonso and Webber take each other out, Vettel stalls in the pits, and Massa finishes no higher than second), but he also might be subtley referring to the fact that the Evil Empire has stalled in their development process. It also takes the pressure off him because he's trying to make it all upside for himself.

2. Ferrari have REALLY closed the gap and it's surprised me so much, I decided to read up and research as much as I could (yes I'm a geek, bite me ). The combination of getting the Fduct system to work, the overrun mapping for the exhaust, developments to maximize its effect using different diffusers, and new front wings have brought the F10 from a slowly declining dog to possibly being on par with RB. I've even heard rumors about a legal traction control system, but have nothing to confirm or deny that rumore. That said, I still wouldn't count Newey out of the picture - he's too good at what he does, but it does appear that Team Jersey Shore has pulled together as a cohesive unit. Alonso for his part has been nothing but supportive off the track, but made some mistakes on it. If he wins the championship, we can look at the fact that his support and need to try and improve his own driving as well as the car went a long way. If he doesn't, we can point to the number of points he left on the table and relish the fact that I think that if the team and his own performance next year are like the second part of this year, they could be a real threat.
Yes Ferrari has closed the gap , but like Maclren they were never really that far off the pace, to the RB, which is still number 1.

That aside they are the 3rd best chassis on the grid .. oppps ... pardon me, i see Massa has been giving it to Button ......

Never!

2005 Alonso destroys Faux 7, they started whining and have never stopped .

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
I don't think you understand what I was trying to say so please accept my apologies for hurting your feelings, that certainly wasn't my intention.

P.S. I don't think Tifosi never really loved their drivers that much, 1st and foremost, they love Ferrari.
I still remember when Alboreto (IIRC correctly, in Lotus) DNFd from the 1st place in Monza, giving the lead to a Ferrari (driven by non-Italian) and crowd going crazy and cheering!

WTF... you have never apologized for hurting mine ........ Bitch ...

Originally Posted by ltc
Alonso is due nothing, IMHO, given his recent exploits and lack of any responsibility.

It would be absolutely ironic if his engine went "kablamo" at Suzuka and he lost the WDC, just as he won the WDC at Suzuka when Schumachers engine failed.

As for the Ferrari performance, I would thank Santander for allowing Luca to write Mr. Fry a nice paycheck.
Blah , blah , blah ....... Alonso blah , blah blah ... Alonso .... stock market crash blah , blah .. Alonso ... Hamilton pegs pigmy Bitch ...... blah blah blah .. Alonso ... Ferrari found with gold in the tanks ... blah.. blah ..blah .. Alonso ...

Alonso wins from 24th grid spot ... blah .. blah .blah .. Ferrari .......

Quick Reply: 2010 Singapore Grand Prix