Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 03:16 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 9.5 Degrees
Finn,

I find your comments racist and highly offensive. So just because a team is based in Italy and hire Italians, they are automatically bound to bumble and fail? It's no different from someone coming on here and saying all Asian drivers suck and shouldn't be in F1 because they are crash prone (sato excepted )

And to be perfectly clear, Rob Smeadly has been with Ferrari since the Schumacher days and continues to be employed as Massa's race engineer. The organization is make up of nearly 600 employees in their F1 operations alone. It is truly a United Nations of corporation and to imply that it's just an Italian operation is simply short sided.

My final point of clarification is that Ferrari has won their last 2 races, but you failed to point out that Ferrari also won the first race of the year in Austrailia. This all before Pat Fry came on board!

Has Alonso made mistakes, yes he has and I admit he has, but he has a lot of pressure on him to perform, not only from his countrymen and team, but from his personal sponsor as well.

Both he and his team needed to adapt to each other and they have no testing to do so, so in essense, all the familiarization is conducted on race weekends.

The next time you take your vacation to Italy, you should stop by Marinello and take a tour. Then you will see the many nations represented in the history of Ferrari including your poster boy Kimi and his WDC that he brought to Marinello.
The fact that they were Italians is not the point, it was the fact that they wanted a team to be all from one Country.
In this case, it was italian but it might as well been all from Finland and it would've been the same thing.

I was similarly critical towards USGP when they wanted to be "all US" and thought they should've hired people from all over the place.

FYI, I am and have always been a big fan of Ferrari (since Villeneuve was there) and I have many close Italian friends.

Racist and highly offensive? Please.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:22 PM
morganabowen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
+1.
Ferrari and Alonso have tasted blood and now they are going for the kill. I can see Vettel and Hami taking each other out on the 1st turn. Hopefully, Alonso will make a good start.
If Vettel takes Hami out, is it to help his teammate? team orders?lol
Raj
Good guess, but it was Webber that took Hamy out, and then went on to finish on the podium, 3rd
Old 09-27-2010, 03:22 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
In his post race interview, Seb did say that his tires were going off and Alonso would have still been faster on new primes. Vettel would not have had any advantage by staying out another lap or two. That is why they stuck with their strategy.
Raj
They should know, but from the cheap seats it would seem like it took a few corners to get the options on pace, and that lost couple of seconds could be enough to get Seb in and out in front, and based on the track config, he could have held Alonso off until his tires came up. It would have been the only realistic chance that he could have controlled.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 09-27-2010, 03:27 PM
morganabowen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by My993C2
Good race ... I see Hamilton vs Webber as a case where both drivers raced hard and neither one made a bone headed move. It was just a racing incident. Congrats to Alonso and Ferrari but I wonder if Red Bull should have kept Vettel out there for 1-2 extra laps after Alonso pitted?

PS: Speed TV sucks ***. As soon as the F1 race ends, they have to leave and give us 3+ hours of their pre-race NASCAR bull####. For crying out loud, finish the F1 race coverage and then switch to NASCAR. 10-15 minutes is not going to kill you. I never watch NASCAR, but tell me is their pre-race coverage longer than the actual race?

Good grief ...
That was a total bummer when they skipped the post race awards and interviews; however, I DVR'd the replay several hours later, and that included the awards and post race interviews. The post race interviews were worth watching
Old 09-27-2010, 03:38 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
They should know, but from the cheap seats it would seem like it took a few corners to get the options on pace, and that lost couple of seconds could be enough to get Seb in and out in front, and based on the track config, he could have held Alonso off until his tires came up. It would have been the only realistic chance that he could have controlled.
Larry,

Horner explained that their plan was to come in before Ferrari and have Vettel do 1-2 quicker laps with new tires. They couldn't come earlier because the gap between Vettel & Hamilton at that point wasn't big enough.

But as already said earlier in this thread, Ferrari reacted in a very non-Italian way (Settle down 9.5, just kidding!), made a quick decision and took Alonso in at the same time Vettel came.

It was more of a brilliant work from Ferrari rather than a mistake from RB.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:06 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by morganabowen
it was Webber that took Hamy out, and then went on to finish on the podium, 3rd
Why do you say this? It was a racing incident where both drivers went into the corner not willing to back down. That corner did not belong to Hamilton, he was not clearly ahead to give him any definitive right to it. Considering the lack of visibly one gets from their mirrors in a Formula car, one can only say that this was a racing incident. It was just one of those "**** happens" moments and Webber was definitely lucky that his car was not damaged.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:15 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

I liked the comment made on the telecast about FA and the fact he knows 'all of the dirty little tricks' needed to be a championship winning driver.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:17 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Its a well known fact that Ferrari front end geometry is set such when on pole, the car drifts towards the other side of the track. However, its complex enough that it occurs only on lap one.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:46 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Larry,

Horner explained that their plan was to come in before Ferrari and have Vettel do 1-2 quicker laps with new tires. They couldn't come earlier because the gap between Vettel & Hamilton at that point wasn't big enough.

But as already said earlier in this thread, Ferrari reacted in a very non-Italian way (Settle down 9.5, just kidding!), made a quick decision and took Alonso in at the same time Vettel came.

It was more of a brilliant work from Ferrari rather than a mistake from RB.
Yes, brilliant work by Ferrari, but RBR could have been a lot craftier and when they saw Ferrari reacting and stayed out for one more lap.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:47 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,281 Likes on 1,938 Posts

Originally Posted by chris walrod
I liked the comment made on the telecast about FA and the fact he knows 'all of the dirty little tricks' needed to be a championship winning driver.
I loved that too!

Webber got off lucky. His tire was practically off the rim at the end of the race.

Bridgestone: Webber very, very lucky to finish
27 September 2010

Bridgestone technicians have confirmed just how fortunate Mark Webber was to finish third and retain his championship lead in Sunday night’s Singapore Grand Prix, with the Australian having made contact with Lewis Hamilton and almost knocked his right-front tyre clean off its rim.

Following the Memorial Corner contact on Lap 36, Red Bull's Webber proceeded to finish behind winner Fernando Alonso and team-mate Sebastian Vettel although the extent of the Australian’s blessed escape was revealed in Parc Fermé.

Retirement for Webber would have signalled the championship lead for Alonso“He was very, very lucky – the tyre was just five millimetres from slipping off,” Hirohide Hamashima, Bridgestone’s Director of Motorsport Tyre Development, explained to Autosport.

“If it had slipped off, the pressure would probably have gone down, so Mark was lucky there but also with the track too; if there were very high-speed left-hand corners here, then the tyre would have moved a little bit more and then it would have been finished.

“I have seen that happen a few times for a few laps, but for over 25 laps is incredible.”

9.5, easy there partner. Finn only sees the world through blue and white tinted glasses. A dutch friend of mine often says, "If it's not Dutch, it ain't much". So we all have our favorites.

Finn should be posting how well Heikki did to put out his own fire today! Love you man!

In all honesty, Ferrari has a history of NOT HIRING Italian drivers. Mechanics, engineers, yes, but not drivers. Fisi got a shot last year only because Lada Badeor was so awful.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:53 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,281 Likes on 1,938 Posts
Default Picture of Webber's wheel

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/2...cky-to-finish/

Something you'll never get on SPEEDTV.

How bad was that!!! Cutting post race interviews after a memorable race with point implecations and crashes, etc. to go to NASCRAP pre-race coverage several hours before the actual NA$CAR race!@!!

This goes to show where F1 STANDS in the scheme of things at SPEEDTV. Interviews cut and their lead announcer is at a car auction instead of calling the race!! AWFUL
Old 09-27-2010, 05:04 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

This is THE definition of Kismet, good fortune, or whatever you want to call it. Obviously it is smiling on Webber now. Amazing that he went 25 laps with the bead unseated.
Attached Images  
Old 09-27-2010, 05:11 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by chris walrod
Its a well known fact that Ferrari front end geometry is set such when on pole, the car drifts towards the other side of the track. However, its complex enough that it occurs only on lap one.
What about the fact that the same commentator also mentioned that Alonso was very fast 3 yrs back and would have had the pole, if it wasn't for the fuel related failure. Did you miss that part? He did not mention anything about Alonso cheating. He also was very complimentary in how well Alonso drives at Singapore.
How about 2 wins and a 3rd in 3 yrs. This too in a car that had no right to be on the podium last yr (Renault sucked).
Some people just have selective hearing. Keep hating. It will only make the off season more fun.
Raj
Old 09-27-2010, 05:13 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Yes, brilliant work by Ferrari, but RBR could have been a lot craftier and when they saw Ferrari reacting and stayed out for one more lap.
Larry, maybe this will help...
From the Post Race interview:
Q. (Tony Dodgins – Tony Dodgins Associates) Seb, I think you said you were struggling a bit to hold Fernando towards the end of that stint on the options but you were still going quicker than anybody on primes, so were you a bit surprised they didn't keep you out another couple of laps?

SV: No, I think on options you could see generally that everyone was struggling towards the end. I could see Fernando in front of me, obviously. He was sliding a lot and so was I. The rear tyres were starting to go off. I made a maximum effort to get as close as I could in the end. We could have maybe tried to stay a lap longer or a lap shorter. I don't think it was possible with the gap. But on the other hand, you go out with the prime and you end up with a new tyre and it's just so much better, so even staying out I think would have just enlarged the gap to Fernando, so in the end I think it was fair to come in, put some pressure on Ferrari for the pit stop because obviously everyone knows that our pit stops are very strong, so unfortunately, as I said, I had a bit of a wobble with the get-away but I think they had a clean stop as well, so the gap he had in the pit lane – probably half a second – was still good enough. Unfortunately it was not enough today but I think if you follow another car closely as we did for the main part of the race – I don't know if anybody else did during the race – you obviously could go faster, you never know how fast, because you're not in clean air, but I think the pace was good all weekend. I will still take second.
Raj
Old 09-27-2010, 05:15 PM
9.5 Degrees
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
In all honesty, Ferrari has a history of NOT HIRING Italian drivers. Mechanics, engineers, yes, but not drivers. Fisi got a shot last year only because Lada Badeor was so awful.
Tell that to the Finn. Ferrari and The Tifosi loved Schumacher, Kimi and Alonso. It didn't matter what flag they waved.

It's perfectly fine to pull for your countrymen, but putting down others when your driver (Kimi) was displayed by that team shows something about a mans character. I'm done with this subject.

Quick Reply: 2010 Singapore Grand Prix