Sponsored by:

Has Club Racing Gotten Too Aggressive?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 08:40 AM
Minoclan
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Dwane
Wasn't expecting that reaction in video 2 at the 1:45 mark.
Those would have been my exact words.
RSR buddy as well?
Isn't that what Linda Blair said to the priest in the Exorcist?
Old 08-06-2010, 08:50 AM
GT3 Techno
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PedroNole
So, if you don't already have a competition license and 6 races, all you have to have is some DE days and you can go to the PCA Racing School. The PCA Racing School means, among other things, that someone could be next to you on the grid that has actually never completed ONE race...
So you think that the rookies are the main cause for the incidents at Lime Rock, The Glen and Mosport this year ? I don't think so... I believe that (normally) rookies are more intimidated and are driving more defensive causing less trouble. There is always exceptions obviously with people that don't know what to do (#222 at Mosport ?). Where else would you like these people to get the 4 races of experience to get the PCA license ? I thought that Club Racing (amateur racing by nature) was the entry level in racing

Rookies have to do 4 consecutive races without incident to get the license. Sounds good enough to me
Old 08-06-2010, 09:28 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dwane
Wasn't expecting that reaction in video 2 at the 1:45 mark.
Those would have been my exact words.
RSR buddy as well?
What the heck did he say?
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:51 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
StrekStrekStrekStrek StrekStrekStrekStrek StrekStrekStrekStrek StrekStrekStrekStrek StrekStrekStrekStrek StrekStrekStrekStrek StrekStrekStrekStrek

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 08-06-2010, 09:51 AM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
I understand the Club Race at Mosport was a crashfest with 17 cars leaving on flatbeds. The Limerock and Clash at the Glen events were also marred by accidents, especially in the Cup class.
The traditional 13/13 doesn't seem to have the same calming influence it once did - or does it?

Several racers have said that things have gotten out of control and that Club Racing, at least with Cup cars is no longer conforming to the original spirit of Club Racing. Whether this is a result of guys with hefty budgets and low seat time or simply the donning of red visors, I can't say.

I'd love to hear some feedback from the racers here.

Best,
I am surprised no one has mentioned the relative increase in the value of the Canadian Dollar as a reason for the recent accidents. All those whacked out rich Canadians buying fast cars.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:03 AM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GT3 Techno
Sure... and that's why you ruined the weekend of this guy after the practice #2 for less than a square inch of rubber on your front end. He knew exactly where he was on the track and what he was doing. Let's face it... you didn't.

Your usual way to make new friends I guess...

Are you able to read english properly? Maybe you should read the regulations again (and again).

For the other ppl here, my car was damaged and will need repairs. Bent fender enough to scrape my front tire a lot + repainting on the front bumper and on the fender. Part of the game.

(no internet for me during the next 2 weeks)

c.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:32 AM
GT3 Techno
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Charles A. Toupin
Are you able to read english properly? Maybe you should read the regulations again (and again).

For the other ppl here, my car was damaged and will need repairs. Bent fender enough to scrape my front tire a lot + repainting on the front bumper and on the fender. Part of the game.

(no internet for me during the next 2 weeks)

c.
Bumper ? So you were behind his rear wheel and he was at fault ? Funny don't you think ?

Picture ?
Old 08-06-2010, 10:34 AM
GT3 Techno
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
F... word in French Canadian
Old 08-06-2010, 10:36 AM
GT3 Techno
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KRA993tt
I am surprised no one has mentioned the relative increase in the value of the Canadian Dollar as a reason for the recent accidents. All those whacked out rich Canadians buying fast cars.
This is the best explanation so far
Old 08-06-2010, 10:41 AM
fryd
Burning Brakes

Yeah...I can buy THAT conspiracy theory!
Old 08-06-2010, 10:43 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

So you think that the rookies are the main cause for the incidents at Lime Rock, The Glen and Mosport this year ? I don't think so... I believe that (normally) rookies are more intimidated and are driving more defensive causing less trouble. There is always exceptions obviously with people that don't know what to do (#222 at Mosport ?). Where else would you like these people to get the 4 races of experience to get the PCA license ? I thought that Club Racing (amateur racing by nature) was the entry level in racing

Rookies have to do 4 consecutive races without incident to get the license. Sounds good enough to me
PAGE 9.....

I love how people only read/see what they want to...

NOOOO, I don't think rookies are the main cause for incidents. Oh, and I was at the Glen this year and don't recall a lot of carnage (there were a LOT of mechanical issues but wrecks....) or carnage that was caused by rookies or "rich guys in cup cars." Were you there or are you just repeating something someone else who probably wasn't there heard?

People were bitching about rich guys buying a Cup Car, showing up to race and not having the proper experience hours in the car. I merely said that one objective thing Club Racing could do would be to increase the skill level of the drivers who apply for a license. I guess I offended you with all your 45 hours of practice and DE time...

If people think it's ok for someone with ZERO race experience to line up next to you on the grid at the next weekend, fine, but then they shouldn't bitch when racing incidents happen. A lot of people on here think that people should have more experience (especially "rich guys in cup cars"). Personally, I've been Club Racing for a few years now and have only had one issue with a rookie driver (used me for brakes going into the bus stop at Daytona on the first lap).

People can go to SCCA, POC, PBOC, NASA, FARA, etc, etc to get experience. If they think they are too good for those organizations, then they can go through PCA. However, maybe they shouldn't be allowed to show up with their 12 DE days and be on the race grid the very first weekend....
Old 08-06-2010, 10:55 AM
GT3 Techno
Burning Brakes

PAGE 9.....

I love how people only read/see what they want to...

NOOOO, I don't think rookies are the main cause for incidents. Oh, and I was at the Glen this year and don't recall a lot of carnage (there were a LOT of mechanical issues but wrecks....)or carnage that was caused by rookies or "rich guys in cup cars." Were you there or are you just repeating something someone else who probably wasn't there heard?

People were bitching about rich guys buying a Cup Car, showing up to race and not having the proper experience hours in the car. I merely said that one objective thing Club Racing could do would be to increase the skill level of the drivers who apply for a license. I guess I offended you with all your 45 hours of practice and DE time...

If you think it's ok for someone with ZERO race experience to line up next to you on the grid at the next weekend, fine, but then don't bitch. A lot of people on here think that people should have more experience (especially "rich guys in cup cars"). Personally, I've been Club Racing for a few years now and have only had one issue with a rookie driver (used me for brakes going into the bus stop at Daytona on the first lap).

People can go to SCCA, POC, PBOC, NASA, FARA, etc, etc to get experience. If they think they are too good for those organizations, then they can go through PCA. However, maybe they shouldn't be allowed to show up with their 12 DE days and be on the race grid the very first weekend....
Sorry if I offended you, didn't want to be controversial really. I wasn't at The Glen but I was referring to the initial comment made by Bob Rouleau who started this thread assuming this was wright. I can only talk about Mosport (and Lime Rock since a friend was a victim of a carnage there).

Happy to see that you agree that rookies are probably not the biggest issue.

BTW, the 45 hours I mentionned were done in the Cup car before going to races. I have done much much more than that in other cars be reassured...
Old 08-06-2010, 10:58 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not to sound condescending but it is RACING. The risks are higher, margins for error are less and consequences of incidents are more dangerous/expensive. If you can't stomach the risk of wrecking your car or don't want to be in a position where something bad can happen, you've picked the wrong hobby.
This is the best point made in this thread (except for mine of course).
Old 08-06-2010, 11:38 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

There was a lot of other hair pulling moments other then your 'cup centric' issues mentioned here...

Let's see... How about the lime green 911 (#50) in the yellow race group who is a local driver and who is used to the track and who comes up against a white 911 of a driver who is the 'default' fast guy in this class at most tracks other then Mosport. They have 'issues' on Sat. Mr white 911 doesn’t like being passed. They have words between each other in the tent that night. The next day... major contact between them (I *think* cor 3??) when #50 gets blocked three or four times and then the door gets slammed once too many times - the last time when he was 1/4 up the inside. This was an incident that could have been prevented as I heard the calls over the line on Sat about these two guys and the blocking and that the cut and thrust was getting hardcore. Nothing was done.

Or how about the near whole race yellow from cor 3 through to cor 4 for a car that had pulled off the track. Never, ever, have I seen a full race steady yellow at Mosport for a pull off. You either have an unsafe situation that needs to be addressed (full course yellows and a tow) or you make the drivers aware of the situation and that the car will not be moving by giving two race laps under a steady yellow and then dropping the flag. It didn't help that the driver REFUSED to get out of the car when directed to by the corner workers at station 4. He sat in the car for the whole race. Nothing makes us more mental then that. Get out of your car - we'll wave the yellow as you do - don't try to drive the process along thinking you can force a tow from race control when clearly after quite a few laps - that wasn't going to happen. $%&*@#^!! What part of causing pass under yellow issues don’t we understand? It’s not like the flag position at cor 3 was ideal. When we are allowed to have more workers the usual flag position is drivers right at the entrance to cor 3 and not behind the fence, well into the apex of cor 3. Not ideal and not our doing – we just do what we are told when we only have two workers per corner.

That the national club race rep for PCA can't or won't listen to advice from either the corners (he's in a safe spot) or the chief flag marshal is just so underwhelming. We do this stuff week in and week out at Mosport and we've seen it all and know what to do. But wait... we have groups come up and want to reinvent the wheel or the process and it isn't just national - it can and has been groups such as NJ region who go all weird on us.

PCA wanted to use the Castrol tower as race control. We never use it for this purpose. You can't see squat from there. Oh wait - the air conditioning is better and you can entertain more people...

Issues over the guy (we call him Grizzly for good reason!) splitting the cars into two rows for the races as they came out of mock grid... 'Why is he on the track - GET HIM OFF!' What?? Ummm, gee,,, I think he needs to be there... He's done this before....

Then they don't like tow truck drivers watching the race from the front of their vehicles and not in the 40C interiors and even though they are all on radio's...

Car 222. Let’s talk. He got called in on the phones from corners all day Sat and most of Sunday until he disappeared. No one listened to us. The freaking near misses as he drove down the center of the track on a just invented fast race line I haven't seen before. Dead center of the track - oh, until he decides to suddenly move left in front of a puzzled RSR who has to roll the dice on which side of the track on THIS lap is safe to get around him. But wait - next lap through this corner he'll take an early apex and move to the right - no wait - he'll change his mind and go center track all the way from 2A’s 2nd apex to cor 3 then it's dice rolling time for car 14 - his turn to get lucky or not. All so silly and embarrassing for PCA.

I can’t remember the sprint race on Sat but he made contact with the race lead at the bottom of 2A. The Cup car had to decide where the guy would move - so he picked the inside ‘hoping’ yellow 222 would see my blue flag and stay right. Did not happen. Contact. Door number 13 has opened again… We ‘get’ the part about the idea that the faster car has more responsibility to make a safe pass. What we don’t get about PCA is the ‘he has every right to be out there doing what ever he pleases’ attitude. The leader got sucked in by him and I could see it all happening before it happened. That contact in 2A on Saturday BEGAN on Friday.

We had a Cayman scaring the heck out of us on Friday - car 57 who morphed I think into 157 later in the weekend when we had two #57’s out there. He did however stay out of the way most times - but it was pucker time for some quick cars who caught him on the line as went down the hill into cor 4 and had to move onto the grey stuff to get around him.

It gets weird when you have a car that you want to pull out a waved white flag whenever he comes through your corner when you know a blue should work, yet he's way to slow for a blue! You'd feel stupid waving a white flag lap after lap - it's not what we should be doing. A 2.02 lap on Friday morning... Best lap ever was a 1.41… in a Cayman…My wife could lap him in our Echo in fewer than 4 laps. I understand about learning the track - I really do - the place isn't easy. But wouldn't it have been better to go out with the green run DE guys on Friday to get as much track time - to learn the track - before trying to run in the yellow group??? He was a lot better by Sunday but you have to say it was (as Derek Daly says) ‘harim sacarim' time there for awhile.

Even UCR has to take some flack: Who thought allowing a Panamera driver into the DE green group was such a great idea? Now I like these cars - great 4 doors as they go. But this driver who didn't know a blue flag from a table cloth or use his arm to do wave byes was the height of sillyness. It wasn't the car - it was the driver. Can we have a tow vehicle class next year? An RV's class could be neat.

There is a reason this weekend went silly and it starts and stops at the very top of club racing. I'm a member of PCA and it was upsetting me to the point where I may not work another PCA event as a flagger again. It was just so embarrasing.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:41 AM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

I can only talk about Mosport (and Lime Rock since a friend was a victim of a carnage there).
Is that the same friend in the green car that we see spinning in one of your mosport videos?

Quick Reply: Has Club Racing Gotten Too Aggressive?