Sponsored by:

Has Club Racing Gotten Too Aggressive?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 04:39 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Has Club Racing Gotten Too Aggressive?

I understand the Club Race at Mosport was a crashfest with 17 cars leaving on flatbeds. The Limerock and Clash at the Glen events were also marred by accidents, especially in the Cup class.
The traditional 13/13 doesn't seem to have the same calming influence it once did - or does it?

Several racers have said that things have gotten out of control and that Club Racing, at least with Cup cars is no longer conforming to the original spirit of Club Racing. Whether this is a result of guys with hefty budgets and low seat time or simply the donning of red visors, I can't say.

I'd love to hear some feedback from the racers here.

Best,
Old 08-02-2010, 04:46 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

give me a moment to get my can opener for the can of worms...
Old 08-02-2010, 04:48 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,691 Likes on 2,339 Posts

hefty budget and low seat time are culprit.
i have seen some very BONE headed moves in club racing.
i am pretty aggressive when i am racing. but some other ppl are SUICIDAL, with true death wish.

and most of the incidents are in GTC classes. especially GTC3 and 4.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:56 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 13/13 rule is for people who build or at least maintain their cars themselves and have a strong desire not to see them wadded up, even if they can easily afford another one. It does not have the same affect on the "buy a ride" crowd. I remember at one club race where a guy completely wrote off his cup car (not his fault - spun on anti-freeze) and was back on the phone before the dust settled trying to find another one for the next race. It's a different mentality.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 08-02-2010, 04:59 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,607 Likes on 836 Posts

Well.....what an interesting question. Obviiously, I do a bunch of coaching of PCA racers. Some have Cup cars.

I would say that, in races where there are large fields of Cup cars, there is a mindset that takes over (due to wallet-induced Type A egos) that huge amounts of prize money is offered to the first 30+ finishers in each class.

That's all I am gonna say....

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 08-02-2010, 04:59 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Racing

It's easy for a decent club racer to go 97% in a cup car. Its hard for him to go 99% and impossible except for blind luck for him to do 99.5%. Occasionally we have delusions of grandeur and think just because John Doe can brake at the 2 marker then I can too.

I had a minor incident at VIR but it was not caused by me, or the 996RSR I was chasing... but rather the slower car that was distracted by being passed on the outside and inside at the same time. He turns into the RSR, who spins in front of me and I hit him. I also made a mistake at Road America last year and spun into some tires. 100% my fault. If I had spun in the same place with a slower car I probably would not have hit the wall.

Less attendence = fewer run groups = bigger speed differentials = accidents.

Last edited by RSRRacer; 08-02-2010 at 05:02 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-02-2010, 05:01 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

it's not just a cup car problem - last year at the glen there were more 944 carcasses than cup cars. there are class dependent issues, but there are issues that touch every class
Old 08-02-2010, 05:02 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
The traditional 13/13 doesn't seem to have the same calming influence it once did - or does it?
I did my first PCA club race in April 2002. I did first NASA race in May 2002. I have never felt the 13/13 prevents carnage as much as many would like to believe. Contact is mostly a result of the drivers attitides rather than the rules. Rules can shape attitudes, but only only one part of the equation.

Other than this... for me.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:09 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Well.....what an interesting question. Obviiously, I do a bunch of coaching of PCA racers. Some have Cup cars.

I would say that, in races where there are large fields of Cup cars, there is a mindset that takes over (due to wallet-induced Type A egos) that huge amounts of prize money is offered to the first 30+ finishers in each class.

That's all I am gonna say....

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
the ppl u coach are the more intelligent type. they hired a coach.... that's all i am gonna say....
Old 08-02-2010, 05:14 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by RSRRacer
It's easy for a decent club racer to go 97% in a cup car. Its hard for him to go 99% and impossible except for blind luck for him to do 99.5%. Occasionally we have delusions of grandeur and think just because John Doe can brake at the 2 marker then I can too.

I had a minor incident at VIR but it was not caused by me, or the 996RSR I was chasing... but rather the slower car that was distracted by being passed on the outside and inside at the same time. He turns into the RSR, who spins in front of me and I hit him. I also made a mistake at Road America last year and spun into some tires. 100% my fault. If I had spun in the same place with a slower car I probably would not have hit the wall.

**** happens anywhere.
but you mentioned decent club racers.
what i was talking about are ppl i know... who have DE'd for 20 days, and strongly feel that they are ready to get a paid ride to drive side by side with long, jorgemeister, and such.

a lot of it have to do with attitude and maturity.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:27 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

I wonder if this was the case at the recent PCA NNJR/Thunderbolt race. I believe they had all the classes out at one time. Can't have bigger speed differentials. Was there a lot of carnage?

Just asking. Wasn't there.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:35 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by dave morris
I wonder if this was the case at the recent PCA NNJR/Thunderbolt race. I believe they had all the classes out at one time. Can't have bigger speed differentials. Was there a lot of carnage?

Just asking. Wasn't there.
practically none.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:40 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not even a yellow when we qualified on a wet greasy track.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:44 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

the 13/13 is a weapon
Old 08-02-2010, 05:59 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry but I have to question the 'fault' of the slower driver here. Splitting a car like that is almost never a good idea and it gets worse when it happens in a corner. I generally lay at least some blame on the foot of the 2nd passing car for making it a bad situation by creating the unexpected squeeze.

Less attendence = fewer run groups = bigger speed differentials = accidents .
I find the bigger speed differentials are not where the accidents occur but where there are no speed differences. The Cup Cars have the bad reputation because there are so many cars that are 'identical' running and people start making low percentage moves to get a pass to stick. This is seen in SM and SRF as well. Just wait until Spec Boxster gets truly big and people are all running similar times.

Quick Reply: Has Club Racing Gotten Too Aggressive?