Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I am sad to say.......

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 09:26 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Out of curiosity, who was in the "pack" when the 2 D cars stepped out and pulled away?

Originally Posted by dbryant61
Dave & Paolo, The VIR record for G-class then D-class was around 2:18 for a while with the usual suspects. That became my target as I was developing my car and moving up the ranks. In 2008 at the Rumble, it dropped to 2:17 and change, so I figure no big deal - develop the car a little more and the driver a lot more and I can be close to the hunt. Then, at last years Rumble, it dropped to 2:14 and change. Two cars were running these times. Saw them come out of oak tree in a pack, step out of line and pull the field with 8-10 car lengths by the end of the back straight. To me, it is obvious what is going on. These guys are very good drivers, but not 4 seconds faster than the rest of the D- and E-class fields.

Not avoiding hot shoes - there are plenty in NASA MA GTS. I just want a distant hope of eventually being in the hunt. I do not see that happening until PCA fixes things.

Ted, Watch It! You have to sleep with me this weekend.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:28 PM
TedA
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude...I guess the cat is out of the bag now...
Old 02-15-2010, 09:29 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Dave & Paolo, The VIR record for G-class then D-class was around 2:18 for a while with the usual suspects. That became my target as I was developing my car and moving up the ranks. In 2008 at the Rumble, it dropped to 2:17 and change, so I figure no big deal - develop the car a little more and the driver a lot more and I can be close to the hunt. Then, at last years Rumble, it dropped to 2:14 and change. Two cars were running these times. Saw them come out of oak tree in a pack, step out of line and pull the field with 8-10 car lengths by the end of the back straight. To me, it is obvious what is going on. These guys are very good drivers, but not 4 seconds faster than the rest of the D- and E-class fields.

Not avoiding hot shoes - there are plenty in NASA MA GTS. I just want a distant hope of eventually being in the hunt. I do not see that happening until PCA fixes things.

A 3 second drop is at the top end of what many classes were seeing after the grind and seal that VIR did the previous winter. 1.5-2 seconds was more common. So it really isn't as dramatic of a drop.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:32 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Don, I see your point.........
I have had the same thought cross my mind once about a car in my class, so I understand completely,
but I don't let that discourage me as it only pushes me to try harder and become a better driver..........

What I don't understand is you and Ted sleeping together over the week-end.......
Old 02-15-2010, 09:35 PM
dbryant61
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In response to Fred's Q: The other top-running D-class car and two top-running E-class cars. Gary Small (E), Hunter Allen (E), and Scott Giannou (D) IIRC, mixed up with a SPBox or two and a 914 GT-looking car. I've gotten the same question before. These guys have been driving VIR full for a while. You don't find four seconds all of the sudden. I remember gains like that over the course of a weekend in the lower run groups of DE.

Paolo, I'm his track wife, he's my Bi!ch. Just a joke...but we do normally share a room.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:41 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Not sure about what goes on in the "older Porsches" classes, but I found the PCA stock classes to be run by the book and very difficult for someone to cheat. I ALWAYS get called to scales and tech whenever a track record falls or qualify top 2, get weighed checked and a full ECU download check.
Also the Stock rules are very precise and easy to follow.

While NASA GTS..... IMO, it is "Formula Libre". The HP / weight control leaves everything else up fro grabs, and if people think/feel/believe they have a better chance there is b/c either the drivers are not that good or most likely nobody is building yet the cars to the limit of rules. There's endless possibilities with suspension geometry and Aero work. Just wait and you will see a few "Dallara"- Porsche/BMWs start to appear...
Old 02-15-2010, 09:46 PM
TedA
Addict
Rennlist Member

In response to Fred's Q: The other top-running D-class car and two top-running E-class cars. Gary Small (E), Hunter Allen (E), and Scott Giannou (D) IIRC, mixed up with a SPBox or two and a 914 GT-looking car. I've gotten the same question before. These guys have been driving VIR full for a while. You don't find four seconds all of the sudden. I remember gains like that over the course of a weekend in the lower run groups of DE.

Paolo, I'm his track wife, he's my Bi!ch. Just a joke...but we do normally share a room.
Report back after running this weekend on sticker hoos in lieu of 70 heat cycle RA-1s. I got your bitch..right here
Old 02-15-2010, 09:47 PM
dbryant61
Burning Brakes

CGomez, What I am describing may well be an anomaly, but in D-class, there are no ECUs. If cheating is being done, it is being done with displacement, compression ratio, ported and flowed heads, valve size, cam grind, fuel distributor shimming, etc. It can also be done with a 7:31 R&P and costom gears. It would require an aggressive scrut with an intimate understanding of the 911SC engine, and the tools to test these things.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:48 PM
dbryant61
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TedA
Report back after running this weekend on sticker hoos in lieu of 70 heat cycle RA-1s. I got your bitch..right here

Dude, they'll just get me closer to the hunt. 2 seconds I'm hoping.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:56 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

I see...

Old 02-15-2010, 09:56 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by cgomez
Not sure about what goes on in the "older Porsches" classes, but I found the PCA stock classes to be run by the book and very difficult for someone to cheat.
No offense but
Old 02-15-2010, 10:01 PM
911 Wail Tale
Advanced

You are not alone in your thoughts my friend. Unfortunately, no one has the ***** to lodge a formal protest and rid the ship of the cheaters.

I can fully understand Pat Long or Leh Keen tearing up any track in "D" class for example. But a "good" amateur racer setting lap records and being considerably faster than "good" amateurs in classes 2 or 3 above his car? I don't buy it. There is a reason that pca has specific formulas for its various classes. The "D" car should not be faster than the "E", "F", or "G" car given the same driver, but it is happening more and more.

PCA needs to put an end to the debauchery amongst its ranks. Two of my friends are leaving PCA after the shenanigans at Sebring.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:14 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911 Wail Tale

PCA needs to put an end to the debauchery amongst its ranks. Two of my friends are leaving PCA after the shenanigans at Sebring.
What happened at Sebring?........
Old 02-15-2010, 10:20 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by FredC
today is the 15th Gary... you staying in D?
Yep, sure nuff am!
Old 02-15-2010, 10:22 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Yep, sure nuff am!
Good decision to stick with a 911.......

Quick Reply: I am sad to say.......