Sponsored by:

I am sad to say.......

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 02:46 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

4 or 5 cars in our class were bumped to E at the Glen race for various infractions after a look over of the entire class field. All they looked for were obvious suspension kinds of offenses nothing in the engine compartments.

BTW, Fred's car has been scrutineered more times than probably any other PCA race car in history.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:03 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian P

As someone else posted, you are completely discounting the huge disparity in driver skill among the racers. Basically, within each class there are a handful of drivers who are amazing and can drive faster than most of the other drivers who are a class ahead of them. Fred is one of those drivers. The reason he was faster than all E class drivers is that the good E class drivers (Hupfer and Crossman) moved up to F.
Amen brother.

A little perspective from another D stock racer at Sebring. I had a coach for the test and tune day before the race. We had just recently installed a Traqmate. After I'd done a few laps in the car, he got in (having never driven my car before) and did 4 or 5 laps to establish a base-line. Every lap he turned was roughly 1 second faster than the last. His fastest lap was a low 2:31. I asked him later what he thought he could do with the car (w/o the constraints of driving somebody else's car etc) and he felt comfortable predicting low 2:30s. My fastest lap for the weekend was 2:374.

My conclusions. My D car's potential is probably comparable to Fred's. Fred is a damn good driver (I believe Fred's fastest lap in the enduro was 2:30 something). Being generous, I'm an average driver. As Brian said, the disparity in driver skills in PCA racing is huge.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:54 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by good hands
When racing NASA he had to deal with the power to weight ratio. If you have a cheater motor ( not saying he does ) he would need to ballast up his car to make ratio. With PCA he just slides into stock class and takes out the ballast.
For instance, if I am running up against a guy with 210 at the wheels and I have 190. He has to add weight at NASA which evens things out considerably. With PCA we are running the same weight in the same class.
What if the guy has a perfectly legal PCA motor but has to add weight to run in his NASA class but can remove the weight to race in PCA? What if he runs a different tune in NASA than in PCA in order to lower his power to fit into the power/weight class?

We have run 1:58's in BMW CCA and 2:02's in NASA GTS4...but we also detune the motor, add a little weight, and run R-comp tires to fit into the NASA power/weight classing structure whereas we can run the motor at full power, without any weight restrictions, and on slicks in our BMW CCA class.

I don't see the change in laptimes between NASA and PCA as an indicator of cheating unless I'm missing some detail about this particular car/class that isn't obvious to me.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:00 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

As someone else posted, you are completely discounting the huge disparity in driver skill among the racers. Basically, within each class there are a handful of drivers who are amazing and can drive faster than most of the other drivers who are a class ahead of them. Fred is one of those drivers. The reason he was faster than all E class drivers is that the good E class drivers (Hupfer and Crossman) moved up to F.
Ironically, in club racing, where driver talent varies so much, it's RARELY the guy at the front who is actually cheating. If you can drive well enough to win, you don't need to cheat. It's usually the guys at the back who have a couple of illegal parts on their car (that they justify because everyone else is supposedly cheating) who look up at the podium shouting accusations of cheater motors with 30 more hp. They don't understand that learning to drive would solve most of their problems.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:04 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Data is the best enabler. Good for you to have bought a Traqmate. You'll shave your times.

Originally Posted by dave morris
Amen brother.

A little perspective from another D stock racer at Sebring. I had a coach for the test and tune day before the race. We had just recently installed a Traqmate. After I'd done a few laps in the car, he got in (having never driven my car before) and did 4 or 5 laps to establish a base-line. Every lap he turned was roughly 1 second faster than the last. His fastest lap was a low 2:31. I asked him later what he thought he could do with the car (w/o the constraints of driving somebody else's car etc) and he felt comfortable predicting low 2:30s. My fastest lap for the weekend was 2:374.

My conclusions. My D car's potential is probably comparable to Fred's. Fred is a damn good driver (I believe Fred's fastest lap in the enduro was 2:30 something). Being generous, I'm an average driver. As Brian said, the disparity in driver skills in PCA racing is huge.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:25 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
Ironically, in club racing, where driver talent varies so much, it's RARELY the guy at the front who is actually cheating. If you can drive well enough to win, you don't need to cheat. It's usually the guys at the back who have a couple of illegal parts on their car (that they justify because everyone else is supposedly cheating) who look up at the podium shouting accusations of cheater motors with 30 more hp. They don't understand that learning to drive would solve most of their problems.
100% agree. When I first started racing, I sat there in the back of the pack wondering how it was even remotely possible that these guys were SO much faster.

Some of it was due to my car only being DE prepped, and these guys were driving cars set up to the limit of the rules. For instance, I had done no headers or exhaust changes. My springs were at about 350#F/500#R and my car was 200 pounds overweight.

That being said, the vast bulk of the difference was that the racers were driving better than me. The reason I know that was the difference is that I immediately fixed many of the car issues between my first and second race, and I only moved up to mid-pack rather than being a backmarker.

Over the next several years, I finally learned how to drive better and learned a bit more racing technique and I'm consistently in the front of my group. I'm certainly close enough to the front to realize that when I lose, I'm losing to a better driver and not to someone who is cheating.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:38 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

and sometimes, guys in front running "equal" cars just pull away from you at the start of a race on a long straight..and then you get so distracted that you drive right off the track in the first turn

http://vimeo.com/1905696
Old 02-16-2010, 07:12 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Smooth move, Sean.

To Don's point; the only way cheating would really appear likely would be side be side comparison on a long straight. If car A pulls WAY away from car B then something may be up with A assuming B doesn't have a problem. Most of the difference is driver skill. That can be many secs. If in doubt check out My Laps.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:15 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by paradisenb
Smooth move, Sean.

To Don's point; the only way cheating would really appear likely would be side be side comparison on a long straight. If car A pulls WAY away from car B then something may be up with A assuming B doesn't have a problem. Most of the difference is driver skill. That can be many secs. If in doubt check out My Laps.
Maybe. Even then, I think many drivers (and certainly most spectators) don't fully appreciate the impact that differences in cornering speeds make huge differences in the following straights.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:21 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

That's why I posted a start - no cornering speed in play
Old 02-16-2010, 07:33 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Some cars are more equal than others.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:58 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Some cars are more equal than others.
You know first hand from that race
Old 02-16-2010, 08:40 PM
911 Wail Tale
Advanced

*****? I think the one who is lacking ***** is the person who creates a new account (only 53 posts) and then claims that people are cheating. [edit: ok - the account has been around a while - that being said, if you are going to blindly accuse people of cheating, I think you should put up some facts of what you know]

Who accused Fred? I certainly did not. In my original post I just used "D" as an example: reread it if necessary. I just as easily could have said E,F,G,H,etc...

You are right in the fact that I should not have posted without knowing all the facts. I hope those individuals who do know will post.

I apologize if my post caused any grief. As I stated earlier, it was not directed at anyone here, especially Fred.

Adam
Old 02-16-2010, 08:40 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Maybe it's time that Paolo starts a thread just on PCA cheating.
Sorry Brian, I am not going to go there.......

I always thougth PCA racing was on the honor system.......

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
....... learning to drive would solve most of their problems.
In the beginning it took me a while to accept it and move on........

I totally agree with this statement.........

Originally Posted by FredC
Data is the best enabler. Good for you to have bought a Traqmate. You'll shave your times.
I am hoping it helps me too.....
Old 02-16-2010, 10:36 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean F
and sometimes, guys in front running "equal" cars just pull away from you at the start of a race on a long straight..and then you get so distracted that you drive right off the track in the first turn

http://vimeo.com/1905696
The same car did the same thing to me, only they started on my bumper through a turn, pulled out from behind me, passed me, and then passed the F car in front of me.

Quick Reply: I am sad to say.......