I am sad to say.......

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 04:18 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris M.
Scroll down for the dyno of such an engine, which happens to be built built by one of PCA's scrutineers. A custom stock Euro SC with 210rwhp, as opposed to the factory stock 204 flywheel hp.
They are claiming over 10 hp gains. Not doubting it. That's damn good for a header system. But the 210 rwhp figure is a 37 hp gain? If the crank hp is 204 less 15% (a figure I've been told is fairly accurate) at the wheel that's 173 rwhp. Something is not adding up. Last time I added 10 to 173 I got 183 not 210. Is the graph converting back up to crank hp? Are they just being conservative with the claim?

How much are they?

What am I missing?

I understand that "stock" rebuilds can be beneficial. Time and money is all it takes but anytime a stock class PCA car has to ballast up for Nasa GTS it's going to get questioned. PCA stock is notoriously heavy.

Just sayin.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:23 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by APKhaos
Brian is right, of course. There's a huge difference between an engine built as a DIY project from whatever stock parts arrive in the box and a high dollar stock engine rebuild by a guy that makes his living producing winning engines.
Those are called Dan Jacob's Connecticut Stock..
Old 02-18-2010, 06:04 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak
They are claiming over 10 hp gains. Not doubting it. That's damn good for a header system. But the 210 rwhp figure is a 37 hp gain? If the crank hp is 204 less 15% (a figure I've been told is fairly accurate) at the wheel that's 173 rwhp.
15% isn't "accurate", as every dyno is so very, very different. I've seen 10% differences of the same car on different dynos. Comparing dyno numbers is silly unless you're talking of the same car on the same dyno on the same day, or using a single dyno to track changes on a single car/motor. It's all about relative power and not really about absolute numbers. Lest I digress into more of a dyno rant...

Something is not adding up. Last time I added 10 to 173 I got 183 not 210. Is the graph converting back up to crank hp? Are they just being conservative with the claim?
It doesn't say that the headers are the only work done to the motor. Based on Chris' post, I assumed he knows something about this motor as he seems to indicate it's an "optimized" stock motor (where he says it is built) of the type I posted about earlier.

I understand that "stock" rebuilds can be beneficial. Time and money is all it takes but anytime a stock class PCA car has to ballast up for Nasa GTS it's going to get questioned. PCA stock is notoriously heavy.
With this particular car, perhaps...but what if someone decides they want to run a slower class with a heavier, more powerful car? Just because a car is GTS3 legal at the power/weight it must run in PCA doesn't mean you can't add weight and get the car down into GTS2. Surely there are some PCA cars that find themselves at the bottom of one class who would rather add a little weight to be at the top of the next class down in GTS?

Ultimately, if you're skeptical...protest. Everyone talks about who must be cheating on the internet but few rarely put their $$ where their mouth is.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:30 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Streak and Chris, do you have dyno sheets on your cars? Just curious what they put out.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:33 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
15% isn't "accurate", as every dyno is so very, very different. I've seen 10% differences of the same car on different dynos. Comparing dyno numbers is silly unless you're talking of the same car on the same dyno on the same day, or using a single dyno to track changes on a single car/motor. It's all about relative power and not really about absolute numbers. Lest I digress into more of a dyno rant...

Everyone I've ever talked to uses 15% as a rough estimate of hp loss from crank to wheel. Without a dyno in my garage I'll just have to rely on that. I'm not comparing dyno numbers. I'm using the numbers from the website advertising the headers. They claim 210. What they don't show is the before dyno so we can't really see the improvement. They said 10 hp, not me. Chris is saying a base hp of 204 at the crank and they are putting up 210 on a dyno sheet. Dynos do vary but I would assume, since they are putting the 10 hp gain as achievable, that it is valid. Some of the math is not adding up.

It doesn't say that the headers are the only work done to the motor. Based on Chris' post, I assumed he knows something about this motor as he seems to indicate it's an "optimized" stock motor (where he says it is built) of the type I posted about earlier.

It says that the headers are mated to a stock Euro SC 3.0. I take that to be stock stock. That's whats written. They are advertising bolt on hp from the header installation, not a rebuild plus header installation. Even if it is a rebuild it doesn't really matter as the starting point is the starting point rebuild or not. If it's massaged and ran 200 rwhp before the headers and 210 after then great. Chris is implying a crank of 204 with a final hp number of 210 at the wheel. Well above a 10 hp gain. Again, we don't know the starting point but from the language I'll assume Chris is right and the stock hp was 204.

With this particular car, perhaps...but what if someone decides they want to run a slower class with a heavier, more powerful car? Just because a car is GTS3 legal at the power/weight it must run in PCA doesn't mean you can't add weight and get the car down into GTS2. Surely there are some PCA cars that find themselves at the bottom of one class who would rather add a little weight to be at the top of the next class down in GTS?

Ultimately, if you're skeptical...protest. Everyone talks about who must be cheating on the internet but few rarely put their $$ where their mouth is.
Are you some kind of attorney? You come up with a lot of scenarios. None of which match the car or the situation to which I am referring. Of course if said driver wanted to add ballast to run GTS1 that would make sense. I'm not a complete moron. He wasn't trying to go down a class in GTS. I didn't say he was. He was running E stock with PCA and adding well over 100 lbs to run GTS2. Talk around it all you want, theorize to your hearts content. I prefer to observe the facts and make common sense judgements. If he is ballasting up to run gts2 it begs the question: how much hp has he got and how did he get it?

There was nothing to protest since this was at a Nasa GTS race and he was legal for that event. Besides, I truly think he got a bad dyno much like my first dyno experiences. He decided that the dyno was legit and pursued the ballast route. Makes you scratch you head. Now when he comes to a PCA race . . .

This is what actually happened. No hypotheticals. No what ifs. No made up scenarios. Just facts and a reasonable understanding of basic math.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:34 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Streak and Chris, do you have dyno sheets on your cars? Just curious what they put out.
Not that you'll ever see! HA!
Old 02-18-2010, 07:35 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Not that you'll ever see! HA!
Virginia Stock!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-18-2010, 07:40 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Streeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaakkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk!
Old 02-18-2010, 07:51 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Damn, every race I have ever been involved in with PCA...... the best time for the fastest "D" car is faster than that of an "E" car. Are all the best driver's in "D" ?
Old 02-18-2010, 07:58 PM
TedA
Addict
Rennlist Member

Virginia Stock!!!!!!!!!!!
yes....
Old 02-18-2010, 08:08 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by good hands
Damn, every race I have ever been involved in with PCA...... the best time for the fastest "D" car is faster than that of an "E" car. Are all the best driver's in "D" ?
It depends. Who was in D class and who was in E class at those races?

The times I've looked at class records at various tracks, it's almost always true that the best D time is slower than the best E time.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:24 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by good hands
Wasn't the case at Summit

I agree with Brian. Completely depends who is there.

Just happens to be the case that some of the best drivers in PCA racing are in D and E right now (now F since Hupfer and Crossman have moved to F). If Fred (one of the best drivers in the country) wasn't in D - it wouldn't be the case. I get lots of seconds behind Fred and I don't beat all the E cars, he's just that much better. Fred couldn't touch Roach, Hupfer or Crossman at Sebring - why, because they are equal drivers with equally prepared cars and the different classes show in the results. Another example - Mike I was a terror in D and now he's one of the top GTC3 drivers (and won a sprint in spbox at sebring first time in the car as well as a GTC3 sprint at Sebring). When Bill Richter was running D he would beat everybody and believe me when I tell you that his car was not optimized. He was a great racer. Watch what happens when Charlie moves to spbox from GTC1 (along with the rest of the C4 gang - Colin, Jenks). All depends on the mix of cars and drivers. For me, Sebring was the proof case. A bunch of great drivers with extremely well prepared cars..
Old 02-18-2010, 08:31 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

What am I missing?
The 10hp gain is from the headers alone. So, this optimized Euro SC build supposedly put out 200rwhp with "the most popular racing headers currently available" installed, and 210 with the Buckley/Henderson headers. The rest of the gains, I assume, were realized from some of the techniques Bryan talked about like blueprinting, flowed heads, etc. I'm sure a call to Buckley Racing will answer your questions.

Money is all it takes...
Fixed it for ya.

I had my car dynoed for the first time last Fall. It showed 163rwhp, which I had raced with all year. We found that the timing was off, advanced it, and it came up to 181rwhp. My exhaust is pre-74 heat exchangers, and the engine is the factory original with 112xxx miles. I am around 25hp down on the leading Euro SCs out there. Yours?
Old 02-18-2010, 08:37 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris M.
I had my car dynoed for the first time last Fall. It showed 163rwhp, which I had raced with all year. We found that the timing was off, advanced it, and it came up to 181rwhp. My exhaust is pre-74 heat exchangers, and the engine is the factory original with 112xxx miles. I am around 25hp down on the leading Euro SCs out there. Yours?
That seems low. Mine was 174hp rwhp 174tq pre-rebuild (85,000 miles) when I dynoed it for NASA classification with headers and race muffler.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:53 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

It is great to get some Dyno #s to compare to. I will be having my car dyno-ed by NASA this year. Now I will be able to get an idea of what condition my engine is in.

I bet in PCA 95% of all lap time variables, for equally prepared cars, are driver ability. The other 5% is tire condition, rim size on a certain track, cheating, etc.

Quick Reply: I am sad to say.......