I am sad to say.......

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 09:16 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean F
That seems low. Mine was 174hp rwhp 174tq pre-rebuild (85,000 miles) when I dynoed it for NASA classification with headers and race muffler.
Sandbagger! That's real strong for 180 at the crank!

My dyno for Nasa averages 187.5 with SSI's, Borla exhaust and my secret weapon
Old 02-18-2010, 09:28 PM
DanR
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by good hands
Damn, every race I have ever been involved in with PCA...... the best time for the fastest "D" car is faster than that of an "E" car. Are all the best driver's in "D" ?
yes FREDYYYYYYYYYY.

Seriously, there are some amazing drivers in PCA who I think would not embarras themselves at a much higher level and their results and times stand out. Then there are lots of average drivers who are a long way back. I dont think it is the cars but what these good drivers do with them!!! Watch some of the videos of the top runners and see how much car control they have and how hard they are working the car. That is where the time comes from! Does a really well set up car help. HELL YES but I bet they would still win with an average car against 90% of people!
Old 02-18-2010, 10:19 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris M.
I had my car dynoed for the first time last Fall. It showed 163rwhp, which I had raced with all year. We found that the timing was off, advanced it, and it came up to 181rwhp. My exhaust is pre-74 heat exchangers, and the engine is the factory original with 112xxx miles. I am around 25hp down on the leading Euro SCs out there. Yours?
If I run NASA I will have it dyno'd this year, be glad to post the actual sheet if/when I do.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:48 AM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian P
It depends. Who was in D class and who was in E class at those races?

Freddy and Dwayne Moses seem to always be at my events. Let's just hope they stay in "D"...

Originally Posted by Gary R.
If I run NASA I will have it dyno'd this year, be glad to post the actual sheet if/when I do.
I was 189 at the wheels with my 3.2 . It is the original engine with 76k on the clock. Cat bypass and sport muffler are the only mods. But that will change for this year...
Old 02-19-2010, 09:56 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak
Sandbagger! That's real strong for 180 at the crank!

My dyno for Nasa averages 187.5 with SSI's, Borla exhaust and my secret weapon
And my number is pre-rebuild. I'm going to dyno again this year and try to run a couple of nasa events. I'm going to guess that I'll be at 190ish with the rebuild (the only thing that has changed since my last dyno). Don't underestimate how much a set of custom headers designed specifically for this application adds over SSI's (we don't run an off the shelf setup). And, obviously the engine rebuild is significant as well if done correctly ($$$) as has been discussed already. Still completely legal and to factory specs but incredibly consistent tolerances and balance (even better than factory - which would see a range of specs). Also, if memory serves, you run heavy. I finish races about 10lbs over the limit of 2702 for the class and manage my fuel weights closely. All this stuff adds up and isn't cheap. I think I probably have $20k in just the engine and exhaust.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:56 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by good hands
Freddy and Dwayne Moses seem to always be at my events. Let's just hope they stay in "D"...
:
Scott, you have a PM
Old 02-19-2010, 10:12 AM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

When is dyno day? Where do we go around here?

And my number is pre-rebuild. I'm going to dyno again this year and try to run a couple of nasa events. I'm going to guess that I'll be at 190ish with the rebuild (the only thing that has changed since my last dyno). Don't underestimate how much a set of custom headers designed specifically for this application adds over SSI's (we don't run an off the shelf setup). And, obviously the engine rebuild is significant as well if done correctly ($$$) as has been discussed already. Still completely legal and to factory specs but incredibly consistent tolerances and balance (even better than factory - which would see a range of specs). Also, if memory serves, you run heavy. I finish races about 10lbs over the limit of 2702 for the class and manage my fuel weights closely. All this stuff adds up and isn't cheap. I think I probably have $20k in just the engine and exhaust.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:05 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

I have one that Dan uses right here by me in Waterbury now that NASA isn't demanding a certain brand dyno..
Old 02-19-2010, 11:09 AM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

I have one that Dan uses right here by me in Waterbury now that NASA isn't demanding a certain brand dyno..
how much is it?
Old 02-19-2010, 11:09 AM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I thought I read on the nasa forums that you can get whatever brand dyno you want but the compliance dyno needs to be dynojet which are usually higher. So if you dyno 200rwhp on brand X (Mustang, dynodynamics, etc.) you might dyno 220rwhp at the dynojet compliance dyno at the track and you would be dq'd (if > 4 higher than your submitted dyno). Meaning to be safe, you probably want a dynojet dyno to submit in the first place.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:23 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by forklift
I thought I read on the nasa forums that you can get whatever brand dyno you want but the compliance dyno needs to be dynojet which are usually higher. So if you dyno 200rwhp on brand X (Mustang, dynodynamics, etc.) you might dyno 220rwhp at the dynojet compliance dyno at the track and you would be dq'd (if > 4 higher than your submitted dyno). Meaning to be safe, you probably want a dynojet dyno to submit in the first place.
Jim - i've been told (several times actually) that the operator of the dyno can have as great an impact as a different dyno on what you see on paper at the end. I would trust someone that dyno's Porsche on a regular basis and that my "guy" (D.J.) trusts and uses as well rather than just go to someone out of the blue because they happen to have a Dynojet. I do understand your point about being dyno'd at the track on a Dynojet but I would take my chances on it, especially since I don't think I can get down to the bottom of the HP/WGT formula anyway (not that I wouldn't try!).

Fred - don't know, would assume between $100 and $200...
Old 02-19-2010, 11:35 AM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Jim - i've been told (several times actually) that the operator of the dyno can have as great an impact as a different dyno on what you see on paper at the end. I would trust someone that dyno's Porsche on a regular basis and that my "guy" (D.J.) trusts and uses as well rather than just go to someone out of the blue because they happen to have a Dynojet. I do understand your point about being dyno'd at the track on a Dynojet but I would take my chances on it, especially since I don't think I can get down to the bottom of the HP/WGT formula anyway (not that I wouldn't try!).

Fred - don't know, would assume between $100 and $200...
Hey Gary,

That is the thing w/ dynojets, they aren’t supposed to need or have any operator calibration (besides SAE), just a yearly check from dynojet (IIRC), which is why nasa likes dynojet, the operator can’t mess w/ the results supposedly, which means less cheating ( hopefully) and more importantly more consistant results. So if you get 200 at a portable dynojet at Summit, you should read 200 at a dynojet in NY or anywhere else.

But....even that isn't the case, see Wonger's post at the bottom of this page:
http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic....st=0&sk=t&sd=a
Old 02-19-2010, 11:53 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

He makes my point, no use worry about different brand dynos as just using Dynojets can give you a good sized differential in results. I'll get the dyno locally and try and plan for a differential when figuring weights. if it works i'm good. If not, oh well, and i'll adjust one way or the other...
Old 02-19-2010, 12:49 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Now back to Paolo's subject...

Old 02-19-2010, 01:43 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 78 Posts

I'm protesting anyway!

I keed I keed!

If you used a Dynojet it sounds like that first run may have been high. JMO. As you confirmed I'm no mechanic My dynojet run had me running 203 rwhp. Physically impossible or I have the very best factory built 3.2 with 90,000 miles in history. No rebuild, stock chip and SSI's does not translate to a 4 hp loss from crank to wheel. Dyno results are an age old dilemma I suppose.

I did go on a weight loss program and have the car pretty close to the minimum. I have it so I can bolt back in parts to get back up to PCA weight. Spare tire, AC etc. What I need to do is redistribute the weight. I still have the stock bumpers on and tail so I could fiberglass that stuff and locate ballast more centrally complying with both PCA and Nasa.

Looks like I'll have to run heavy to anticipate a compliance run on a different machine.

Quick Reply: I am sad to say.......