Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: DOTs vs Slicks (Good stickey sprint race slicks)
Slicks are always faster by 1-2 seconds vs DOTs
24.49%
Of the DOTs, Hoosiers are .5 to 1 second faster than Toyo RA1s
12.24%
Of the DOTs, Hoosiers are 1-2 seconds faster than Toyo RA1s
37.76%
Hoosiers are faster than Slicks for the first 2 laps of a race
4.08%
Slicks are faster than any DOTs, even over the first 2 laps of a race.
21.43%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Tire performance Poll - DOT R6, R888, RA1 V700 vs slicks

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 06:30 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Tire performance Poll - DOT R6, R888, RA1 V700 vs slicks

What have you guys seen on the track?
Old 03-20-2009, 06:33 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 825 Posts

Here we go again..

Professional Racing and Driving Coach

Old 03-20-2009, 06:40 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

You started it.

I gave an opinon based on what I have read, experienced and seen.

Not saying its the way it is, but you guy just start blasting away.

Actually, Im curious.

mk

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Here we go again..

Old 03-20-2009, 06:42 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Bob,

Can you change the poll for multiple selections? Otherwise/or post your views here all.

Mk
Old 03-20-2009, 06:53 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mark kibort
You started it.

mk

Dude. You are older than I am.

I said this when I was 8.

Seriously.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:08 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

If I kept track of the childish remarks you have made since I have seen you on the list, it would be greater than a 20 pager. Now, go back to coaching.

This is kind of a loaded question. (ya think?)

Heck so many variables, how do you really really know, other than feel.
even WCGT guys will run 2 seconds slower in the race, with no set up differences. some have a radical qual set up that can account for some of the diff. If set up is that important and different tires require different set up and styles, then DUDE, there is a laundry list of why this debate is doomed.

The guys I trust, with a lot of seat time and fast times compared to other top drivers, show that slicks are faster than DOTs by about 2 seconds. (good, fast slicks appropriate for the temps). some of those same guys have switched between hoosiers and toyos and havent seen that much of a difference.
Again, limited racer observations.
What are your thoughts?

Mk

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Dude. You are older than I am.

I said this when I was 8.

Seriously.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:15 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Mark allowing multiple choices does not seem to be an option so here goes:

Slicks are faster than DOTs by 1-2 seconds YES depending on the length of a lap.

R6 is faster than 888 or RA 1 - Hell YES
Old 03-20-2009, 07:21 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

I agree.

but, how much faster?

mk
Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Mark allowing multiple choices does not seem to be an option so here goes:

Slicks are faster than DOTs by 1-2 seconds YES depending on the length of a lap.

R6 is faster than 888 or RA 1 - Hell YES
Old 03-20-2009, 07:30 PM
Peter Carroll/Toronto
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

The choices in the poll are not mutually exclusive.

Hoosiers are faster than slicks for the first 2 laps - then just get out of the way. Hoosiers will take slicks on the start and will be able to maintain position for about 2 laps. Once the slicks are up to temperature, they will have at least a 2 second/lap advantage over the Hoosier.

Hoosiers are faster than slicks if the temperature falls outside the operating range of the slicks. On a cool day (in the 50s), my qualifying time on 20 heat cycle Hoosiers was almost identical to my race times on nearly new slicks.

In terms of low temperature, I would say the winner in the Toyo. Then a little warmer the Hoosier is faster. Then if it's a nice day, the slick is the fastest.

So it depends.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:37 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Without multiple choices, there is no poll in this one.

My many years of experience has shown me that slicks are much faster than R-Compounds IN THE HANDS OF A DRIVER THAT IS ABLE TO USE THEM.

Hoosiers are much faster than the typical long-life R-Comps like Toyos, Nittos, MPSCs, etc.

The question "how much faster" really can't be answered with many variables being defined, like car setup, length of track, ambient conditions, track surface, etc. If a driver can't notice a difference between 80 - 120 wear rated R-comps vs. 40 wear rated R6s, or R6s and good slicks, it is the driver, not the tires that are limiting the difference.

Some people are very equal to Toyos.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:39 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mark kibort
If I kept track of the childish remarks you have made since I have seen you on the list, it would be greater than a 20 pager.
Mk

Thanks for proving my point.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:12 PM
JClark
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're talking THE fastest ONE lap, right?
Old 03-20-2009, 08:28 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Hey, we agree.

nuf said.

sorry couldnt change the poll after the fact.

mk

Originally Posted by Bull
Without multiple choices, there is no poll in this one.

My many years of experience has shown me that slicks are much faster than R-Compounds IN THE HANDS OF A DRIVER THAT IS ABLE TO USE THEM.

Hoosiers are much faster than the typical long-life R-Comps like Toyos, Nittos, MPSCs, etc.

The question "how much faster" really can't be answered with many variables being defined, like car setup, length of track, ambient conditions, track surface, etc. If a driver can't notice a difference between 80 - 120 wear rated R-comps vs. 40 wear rated R6s, or R6s and good slicks, it is the driver, not the tires that are limiting the difference.

Some people are very equal to Toyos.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:40 PM
dmwhite
Instructor

here are my selections:

-Of the DOTs, Hoosiers are 1-2 seconds faster than Toyo RA1s (at least 1-2 seconds, should be more on longer tracks)
and
-Hoosiers are faster than Slicks for the first 2 laps of a race

it's also worth mentioning that hoosiers arent the only game in town anymore in the fast DOT tire market...hankooks z214's and bfg r1's are as fast or faster than hoosiers...all 3 are much faster than toyos and are typically faster than slicks before the slicks come up to temp...

Originally Posted by Peter Carroll/Toronto
Hoosiers are faster than slicks for the first 2 laps - then just get out of the way. Hoosiers will take slicks on the start and will be able to maintain position for about 2 laps. Once the slicks are up to temperature, they will have at least a 2 second/lap advantage over the Hoosier.

Hoosiers are faster than slicks if the temperature falls outside the operating range of the slicks. On a cool day (in the 50s), my qualifying time on 20 heat cycle Hoosiers was almost identical to my race times on nearly new slicks.

In terms of low temperature, I would say the winner in the Toyo. Then a little warmer the Hoosier is faster. Then if it's a nice day, the slick is the fastest.
i pretty much agree with everything except the last part...in my experience, hoosiers/hankooks/bfgs are faster than toyos at any temp...shouldnt be surprising when you consider they are quite a bit softer than toyos....some of my fastest laps on hoosiers/hankooks/bfgs have been in cold temps...

also i dont necessarily agree that slicks are always 1-2 sec faster than hoosiers...some of the good ones might be, while some of them might not be

also, there are many different compounds of slicks so they should be (at least somewhat) faster regardless of ambient temp if you choose the correct compound...
Old 03-20-2009, 08:44 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by JClark
We're talking THE fastest ONE lap, right?
We don't know what we're talking about because the question is open ended and vague.

Here is my opinion, as I've expressed multiple places and that I'll express again since Mark seems to need to start a thread every time someone disagrees with him.

Hoosier R6's are much faster than Toyos. I have seen it on BMW's, Miata's, etc. There's a bigger difference between Toyo's and Hoosiers than there is between a Toyo and the top of the line "high performance street tires" that auto-xers are running in Street Tire classes. Hell, even the old treaded Kumho R-comps and the old treaded Hankooks (don't remember the actual model names) were faster than Toyo's.

There's not nearly as huge of a gap as some people want to believe between slicks and Hoosier R-comps if a car is setup well for each tire. We've had both on our car. While tire and sidewall construction is quite different, the amount of grip each can generate isn't all that different. The hardness of the compounds isn't all that different either, based on my own measurements. We've run Hoosier R-comps, Hoosier Slicks, Dunlop Slicks, Pirelli Slicks, and Yokohama Slicks on our car over the last two seasons, in multiple compounds.

The R-comps definitely come up to temp sooner. That would tend to point to them having a soft compound. They also tend to have very stiff sidewalls (in order to help add spring rate in showroom stock type classes I assume), which probably helps the tire surface to heat up quicker since it's doing all of the flexing and the sidewall isn't. In BMW CCA, some of it may also have to do with the cars running R-comps being heavier and running stiffer spring rates than the Mod cars that are running slicks. Slicks tend to stay more consistent after the first 3-4 "magic" laps for R-comps, which is what leads people to believe that slicks are much faster than the R-comps. Once the R-comps start to fall off, slicks are much grippier.

The new generation of "slick" style R-compounds being offered by Hoosier, BFG, Avon, Kumho, and Hankook are much faster tires than the other R-comps that have been the norm until recent years. We've seen it in club racing and in auto-x. The companies switched their attitude from designing a fast street tire with softer rubber for their R-comp offerings to designing a racing tire and then making it just barely pass the DOT requirements. These are "street" tires in name only. They are RACE tires, and as such, are very very fast.

People use Toyos as everyday driver street tires. You couldn't begin to do that on Hoosiers.

At some point I need to grab the data from NASA Nationals this past year where we ran Hoosier slicks and R-comps back to back so I can post it up what we saw. Next time I'll be around the race car is Easter weekend in April.

Quick Reply: Tire performance Poll - DOT R6, R888, RA1 V700 vs slicks