Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: DOTs vs Slicks (Good stickey sprint race slicks)
Slicks are always faster by 1-2 seconds vs DOTs
24.49%
Of the DOTs, Hoosiers are .5 to 1 second faster than Toyo RA1s
12.24%
Of the DOTs, Hoosiers are 1-2 seconds faster than Toyo RA1s
37.76%
Hoosiers are faster than Slicks for the first 2 laps of a race
4.08%
Slicks are faster than any DOTs, even over the first 2 laps of a race.
21.43%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Tire performance Poll - DOT R6, R888, RA1 V700 vs slicks

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 08:48 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dmwhite
also i dont necessarily agree that slicks are always 1-2 sec faster than hoosiers...some of the good ones might be, while some of them might not be

also, there are many different compounds of slicks so they should be (at least somewhat) faster regardless of ambient temp if you choose the correct compound...
This is true as well. Yoko's are slower than Dunlops and Hoosiers. Compound comes into play as well. Some of the soft compound slicks may be faster in their best lap, but you tend to choose compound based on temperature. The soft compounds in the cold are pretty similar to the medium compounds in the warm. The soft compounds in the warm may have 1 lap where they are faster than the medium compounds, but they will probably fall off after that.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:56 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
Mark seems to need to start a thread every time someone disagrees with him.

You noticed that, too.

Hankook 214's are stellar tires.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 03-20-2009, 09:01 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

If there wasn't such a setup difference required between R6's and slicks, I'd look into the idea of using R6's to qualify and the slicks to race.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:09 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
Question

Mark, In danger of oversimplification and derailing you're thread, I actually would like to hear the results of this slightly differently, assuming the following criteria:

1. The car setup is optimized for the tire/compound
2. You are considering an average over time, like a sprint race 20-30 laps
3. Optimal fresh tire (full tread/shaved/factory heat cycled)

In what order would you put the following tires Fast to Slow:

1. Slicks (pic your poison)
2. Hoosier R6
3. BFG R1
4. Hankook 214
5. Nitto NT01
6. Toyo RA-1
7. Kuhmo V700
8. Toyo 888

I'm jonesing for a new set and not sure I want to pull the trigger on the hoosiers, stuck with the 888's for the spec car but not so for the 964 a few guys are running the hankooks and have similar results as VR, I'm thinking they may be a good compromise ... smart *** comments welcome....
Old 03-20-2009, 10:26 PM
dmwhite
Instructor

Originally Posted by J richard
I'm jonesing for a new set and not sure I want to pull the trigger on the hoosiers, stuck with the 888's for the spec car but not so for the 964 a few guys are running the hankooks and have similar results as VR, I'm thinking they may be a good compromise
compromise in what way? hankook z214's dont give up anything to hoosier r6's....in my experience, the hankooks are as fast or faster, are more consistent over the duration of a race, and have a longer useful life (in terms of heat cycles) than hoosiers...i've had very good results with them over the last 2 years...
Old 03-20-2009, 10:30 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Here we go again..

OMG ! This is actually even worse !
Hey Mark you are amazing. A second difference at what track, with who driving, and what type of car ? It really doesn't matter, I am sure you will adjust your graphs/charts, etc to suit your point.
To anyone that reads these posts, the previous hp/tq debacle or anything on the Internet for that matter, please please please take what you read with a grain of salt, a large grain. Take peoples opinions that are truly proven to be experts in their field, use good sense. Also please keep in mind that many of us tend to have great sense of humors and poke fun at others when quite possibly we shouldn't since this public forum may not always be taken by all as it is meant. Some of us in here tend to enjoy playing with it in a sarcastic comic relief type of way that many may not interpret correctly. Some just use it as a challenge to see if we can promt others into getting to a certain page count, myself included in the above.

I am sorry for poking fun at you Mark, I am sure you mean well, but please consider the questions you ask being within a reasonable comparison. I will try to contribute in a better more productive fashion from now on and in doing so I would encourge you to rewrite your poll as to a certain track or approx mile track. 1,2, or 4 seconds is much different depending on which track you are driving on. A experienced driver that has driven slicks before will have a much different impression over a rookie that has been on them once.

I apoligize in advance if I regress to my previous humorous self.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:49 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by dmwhite
compromise in what way? hankook z214's dont give up anything to hoosier r6's....in my experience, the hankooks are as fast or faster, are more consistent over the duration of a race, and have a longer useful life (in terms of heat cycles) than hoosiers...i've had very good results with them over the last 2 years...
I really just want to hear what you guys think, there's a few of us that are running similar setups on 911's, consistently on the same track, and in each case each has found speed going to the r6's, the big variable is what tire they moved from. From what I've observed the hankooks do seem to be closest in speed, but there's always the learning curve with setup for each tire. Empirically (and I do understand the oversimplification here) the fastest cars are on hoosiers....hmmm maybe a graph....
Old 03-20-2009, 11:03 PM
dmwhite
Instructor

Originally Posted by J richard
Empirically (and I do understand the oversimplification here) the fastest cars are on hoosiers....
there's often more to tire choice than outright speed...things like contingencies (hoosier has a pretty sweet program while hankook just killed theirs for example), supply/availability (hankooks can be really hard to come by sometimes), driving style/preference/feel, consistency, etc...

i have seen a lot of the fastest bmw's (that arent allowed to run slicks) running hankooks...i also know of specific examples where racers chose hoosiers over hankooks simply because of the contingencies involved...if i primarily ran nasa/gts-challenge, i would switch to hoosiers just for the contingency even though, imo, hankooks are better

i tested hankooks, hoosiers, and bfg's in 2007 and have been using hankooks (in the dry) since...
Old 03-20-2009, 11:11 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by onefastviking
OMG ! This is actually even worse !
Hey Mark you are amazing. A second difference at what track, with who driving, and what type of car ? It really doesn't matter, I am sure you will adjust your graphs/charts, etc to suit your point.
To anyone that reads these posts, the previous hp/tq debacle or anything on the Internet for that matter, please please please take what you read with a grain of salt, a large grain. Take peoples opinions that are truly proven to be experts in their field, use good sense. Also please keep in mind that many of us tend to have great sense of humors and poke fun at others when quite possibly we shouldn't since this public forum may not always be taken by all as it is meant. Some of us in here tend to enjoy playing with it in a sarcastic comic relief type of way that many may not interpret correctly. Some just use it as a challenge to see if we can promt others into getting to a certain page count, myself included in the above.

I am sorry for poking fun at you Mark, I am sure you mean well, but please consider the questions you ask being within a reasonable comparison. I will try to contribute in a better more productive fashion from now on and in doing so I would encourge you to rewrite your poll as to a certain track or approx mile track. 1,2, or 4 seconds is much different depending on which track you are driving on. A experienced driver that has driven slicks before will have a much different impression over a rookie that has been on them once.

I apoligize in advance if I regress to my previous humorous self.

Who are you, and what have you done with Viking????

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 04-29-2009 at 05:46 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:14 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Here ya go, dependent on driver.

Slicks are faster,Hoosiers second, Hoosiers third, other DOT's fall in line after dependent on preference. How much time faster per lap depends on the drivers ability, the car,the track length, track corners, weather,getting the right pressure for them, etc.
A rookie driver that goes out fast in first couple laps on slicks because he heard how sticky they are will usually spin.
A rookie to slicks will usually spin the car in the first few outings on them due to not being use to how fast the stickyness to them goes away.
Tire management and heat cycles all factor in, more on some less on others.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:19 PM
Giacomo
Pro

The Z214's come in two compounds, C51-medium and C71-soft. Which is preferable for typical PCA club racing (ie. two 30 minute sprints and 90 minute enduros expecting the tires to last at least one weekend).
Old 03-20-2009, 11:23 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Giacomo
The Z214's come in two compounds, C51-medium and C71-soft. Which is preferable for typical PCA club racing (ie. two 30 minute sprints and 90 minute enduros expecting the tires to last at least one weekend).
C51.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:27 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Who are you, and what have you done with Viking????

I am trying to be nice and think of the unsuspecting few on here that use this board as a tool to learn and educate themselves. Many know us, others .... well it's their loss if they don't listen.
I , as you too I happen to know, enjoy helping those guys become educated better drivers more than I enjoy playing with the few like Mark appears to be, atleast based on the topics he continues with.
Seeing drivers drop their times and increase their enjoyment level is worth much more to me. Also, bringing home podium finishes is much more important than anything else. Although I had more fun watching and helping one of my rookie drivers in his first Spec Miata race last weekend than I did helping the other in GTS get a 2nd place and 3 firsts. The Miata driver goals were to have a clean race with no damage, sometimes thats hard in a Spec Miata race, and to not come in last place, he was sucessful in both.

Others can banter, I have a car to tweek out another second of tonight. Those that know me and race in GTS locally look out, I found more time left in the 996, it will be even faster at the next race !
Old 03-20-2009, 11:30 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by onefastviking
I , as you too I happen to know, enjoy helping those guys become educated better drivers more than I enjoy playing with the few like Mark appears to be, atleast based on the topics he continues with.
Seeing drivers drop their times and increase their enjoyment level is worth much more to me.

Agree--we're in sync on all the above.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:38 PM
dmwhite
Instructor

C51.
yep...i forgot to mention which compound in my posts in this thread (and others). when i talk about hankooks, i'm referring to z214 in c51 compound...my bad

now back to

Quick Reply: Tire performance Poll - DOT R6, R888, RA1 V700 vs slicks