Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: DOTs vs Slicks (Good stickey sprint race slicks)
Slicks are always faster by 1-2 seconds vs DOTs
24.49%
Of the DOTs, Hoosiers are .5 to 1 second faster than Toyo RA1s
12.24%
Of the DOTs, Hoosiers are 1-2 seconds faster than Toyo RA1s
37.76%
Hoosiers are faster than Slicks for the first 2 laps of a race
4.08%
Slicks are faster than any DOTs, even over the first 2 laps of a race.
21.43%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Tire performance Poll - DOT R6, R888, RA1 V700 vs slicks

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 11:54 PM
Giacomo
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks VR and dm, based on your advice I may order a set of Hankooks for the Mid-Ohio CR but, according to racetire.com, alot of the 18" sizes are on national back order, hopefully that improves.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:05 AM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This poll is flawed! Which slicks? Hoosiers slicks... your kidding right!!! Dunlops will smoke Hoosiers @ wglen before the busstop any day. 1st out lap!!!! I've drivin the both and there is no comparision. 3-4 seconds a lap @ WGlen. Why drive toyo"s unless you have too!!!
Slicks are like CRACK!!! And I'm never Going Back!!!!!!
Old 03-21-2009, 12:11 AM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The poll is ridiculous.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:13 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by fstockcarrera
This poll is flawed! Which slicks? Hoosiers slicks... your kidding right!!! Dunlops will smoke Hoosiers @ wglen before the busstop any day. 1st out lap!!!! I've drivin the both and there is no comparision. 3-4 seconds a lap @ WGlen. Why drive toyo"s unless you have too!!!
Have to completely agree with Bob. My RSA probably had a little better motor, and a lot better suspension, but carrying 250 more lbs and running on Hoosiers, my best time was 4 seconds a lap slower at WG than Bob's Euro Cup.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 03-21-2009, 12:17 AM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Have to completely agree with Bob. My RSA probably had a little better motor, and a lot better suspension, but carrying 250 more lbs and running on Hoosiers, my best time was 4 seconds a lap slower at WG than Bob's Euro Cup.
I'm cutting back this year but will miss you!. But I kmow you'll be back
Old 03-21-2009, 12:41 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

+1
Old 03-21-2009, 12:42 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by deep_uv
The poll is ridiculous.
+1
Although the comments could be useful to some.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:54 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Let me get this straight...you're suggesting there's a 4+ second gap between slicks and Hoosiers at Watkins? And you're justifying it by comparing two cars that are nothing alike and being driven by two different drivers?
Old 03-21-2009, 01:00 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

This poll is flawed! Which slicks? Hoosiers slicks... your kidding right!!! Dunlops will smoke Hoosiers @ wglen before the busstop any day. 1st out lap!!!!!
I've got a fair amount of time on both Dunlop slicks and Hoosier slicks. Can't say I agree. Are you talking about Hoosier R-comps or the new Hoosier slicks that were released this past year?
Old 03-21-2009, 01:02 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
Let me get this straight...you're suggesting there's a 4+ second gap between slicks and Hoosiers at Watkins? And you're justifying it by comparing two cars that are nothing alike and being driven by two different drivers?

According to the poll there was no stipulation about it having to be the same car or driver so why not ???
Oh, I am regressing...... forgive me .......
Old 03-21-2009, 01:03 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

I've got a fair amount of time on both Dunlop slicks and Hoosier slicks. Can't say I agree. Are you talking about Hoosier R-comps or the new Hoosier slicks that were released this past year?
Or even Hoosier A's ?
So confusing .....
Old 03-21-2009, 01:16 AM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

yep! Nothing Alike Same Chassis Same engine, his adv suspension my tires.

No Questiion Me And Larry Head To Head All Things egual would prob. be a war ( I would Hope) ( We Were F Troupe) Me on dunlops and lars on Hoosiers ......See yea BYE babe.. Over and out, Euro cup 964 2600lb ( w/o driver) 300 Hp 2.05.25 Lap WGlen on dunlops.....2.095 on Hoosiers RA'6s Same driver!!!! different day
Yep 3-4sec/lap And that's being nice!!
Old 03-21-2009, 01:19 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

....oh, now I get it, I didn't realize this thread was a bubble over from the WC thread...too bad...too many train wrecks in this forum lately, I for one appreciate the information I get here and its a shame that this has gotten so out of hand...
Old 03-21-2009, 01:30 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

yep! Nothing Alike Same Chassis Same engine, his adv suspension my tires.

No Questiion Me And Larry Head To Head All Things egual would prob. be a war ( I would Hope) ( We Were F Troupe) Me on dunlops and lars on Hoosiers ......See yea BYE babe.. Over and out, Euro cup 964 2600lb ( w/o driver) 300 Hp 2.05.25 Lap WGlen on dunlops.....2.095 on Hoosiers Same driver!!!! different day
Yep 3-4sec/lap And that's being nice!!
That's english?

Can someone raise their hand who has actually run Hoosier R-comps and slicks on their own car? Extra bonus points if it's in the same weekend, much less the same day.

4+ seconds a lap on a 2 minute track? If that really is the case, I'm a hack of a driver and I need to give up this sport now.

Ehh...forget it. A lot of bad comparisons on this thread. Not worth the effort. I've seen tracks change by 1+ seconds in the dry in a single day, much less over the course of the weekend and we've got folks making arguments about tires based on different cars on different days, and in some cases, different drivers.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:40 AM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

That's english?

Can someone raise their hand who has actually run Hoosier R-comps and slicks on their own car? Extra bonus points if it's in the same weekend, much less the same day.

4+ seconds a lap on a 2 minute track? If that really is the case, I'm a hack of a driver and I need to give up this sport now.

Ehh...forget it. A lot of bad comparisons on this thread. Not worth the effort. I've seen tracks change by 1+ seconds in the dry in a single day, much less over the course of the weekend and we've got folks making arguments about tires based on different cars on different days, and in some cases, different drivers.
Pardon me if me text grammar is not perfect. Opps! WGAF WGlen is not a 2 min track for all but a few cars! except 964 rsr and better.......
bob

Quick Reply: Tire performance Poll - DOT R6, R888, RA1 V700 vs slicks