Notices

I wonder if Porsche dealers have gone too far?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2024, 09:58 AM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 994 Likes on 577 Posts
Default I wonder if Porsche dealers have gone too far?

I know a number of members here, including myself, have had less than a stellar experience with p-car dealerships over the past few years and I wonder just how widespread the discontent really is? Just yesterday, I was walking our dogs and came across a fellow a few streets over getting out of his black 992. I joked with him that he must have stolen my car. We had a nice chat and he shared his distaste with the Porsche buying experience (this was his first P-car after a number of other brands). In fact, many of his beefs were exactly what I experience recently. Makes me wonder if Porsche has gone too far trying to eek out every penny from us while offering mediocre service at best?
The following 3 users liked this post by Onami:
Mav727 (07-30-2024), MKC91 (08-12-2024), RealityGT (07-30-2024)
Old 07-30-2024, 10:24 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,149 Likes on 823 Posts

That is the way of the world these days ... and i feel Porsche is no exception. everyone wants their pound of flesh but will give up little to get it.

Saturday Morning i was car shopping with my son at a dealership ( none p ) . We were just looking at the cars before we go in as we usually do in the parking lot, Immediately i saw a guy bolt from the dealership and walk quickly towards us.. Instantly reminded me of the 1980s where they used to take turns getting the next guy coming in. I was hopeful that things had changed and they would let you look around without instantly being on you .
Sure enough he walked right passed my son and headed towards me asking what i am looking for .. i told them there was a car we had seen on line . He said great and asked if we have talked to anyone. My son said he had spoken to someone on the phone to confirm it was here. Guy did an immediate u-turn and walked away back into the building without saying anything further.
Great first time buying experience for my son i will yell you .. at first i thought he went to get the keys or something but nope. i was pissed i tell ya .. when we went in the guy was sitting at his desk on the phone. i approached and asked why he did a uturn and didn't even offer to show us where the car was or get the keys. " oh i thought you were dealing with x" he said .. I shook my head not very impressed and walked away.

I guess the good news is the sales manager came out for a smoke a few minutes later and i had a quick word with him. He immediately took over things himself and helped my son out my treating him properly , did some things for him and even gave him more off the price than he was looking for. It wasn't a lot but the gesture was important.

The following 4 users liked this post by theiceman:
maschinetheist (08-01-2024), MKC91 (08-05-2024), Onami (07-30-2024), petee_c (07-30-2024)
Old 07-30-2024, 10:36 AM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 169 Posts

I remember when i bought my 89 911 , it had a Porsche battery because the previous owner didn’t know the difference between a spark plug and an oil filter, anyhow the battery would not hold a charge and it was within the two year warranty , so i go to the dealer with the battery and the guy asks me if i maintained it with a Porsche charger , i ask what a Porsche charger is and he shows me the display with what was a CDN Tire $69 C-tek charger that was rebranded with a porsche logo for $200 …
Anyhow , he said they would have to test my charging system for $150 and because i didn’t maintain their battery with the required charger i would have to pay the $410 for a replacement plus the $150 fee to be able to have the two year warranty, i told the guy to shove the battery up his *ss and went to my Ford dealer and bought a new battery for $80
I could just imagine how it is for higher end cars , i read horror stories of $3000 for a new battery replacement , i guess things only got worse !

Cheers
Phil

Old 07-30-2024, 01:01 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 251 Likes on 148 Posts

The FOMO, fallout will take time to subside... I tried to pick up a GT4RS, but couldn't come to an agreement with 2 dealers.. All good, as I won't pay into the Lux Tax being tacked on.
I'm young (relatively) and can wait while my investments work for me.

2025/2026 will be interesting years.... .2 GT3/Touring. 2wd 6MT Turbo. I also heard from a 918 owner that we will be seeing a 6mt 4RS...

Now if the cons can turf the lux tax.... #weneedchange
Old 07-30-2024, 01:42 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Received 243 Likes on 187 Posts

Never mind Porsche pulling these tactics. Local GTA Toyota dealers are doing the same. Toyota, for crying out loud!
Old 07-30-2024, 04:02 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 251 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by bcrdukes
Never mind Porsche pulling these tactics. Local GTA Toyota dealers are doing the same. Toyota, for crying out loud!
I heard some crazy stories about ppl paying +$50k for manual supra's... pure insanity lol
That said, the rumors of a new Supra (bang for $) are peeking my interests and thankfully I have friends at Toyota dealers
Old 07-30-2024, 04:17 PM
ekam
Drifting

Received 512 Likes on 326 Posts

Nevermind Porsche, a friend's 7 year old Hyundai with 230k km that was always serviced at the dealership blew the motor (it ate itself) and the dealership that he bought 4 Hyundais from offered to sell him a new motor for $21k not including labour. They also offered to sell him a used motor with 110k km for $18k. Talk about insult.
The following 2 users liked this post by ekam:
Cityfisher (07-31-2024), Onami (07-30-2024)
Old 07-30-2024, 04:30 PM
ttcbj
Rennlist Member

Received 265 Likes on 120 Posts

I bought a BGTS4.0 new in 2021 for MSRP, and sold it 2.5 years later with 7,500 miles on it. I truly loved the car, but the dealership experience, both sales and service, wasn’t pleasant. I have had better experiences with Toyota and Subaru.

I was never really in it for the dealership experience, but I was surprised it wasn’t better.
Old 07-30-2024, 05:06 PM
repcapale
Rennlist Member

Received 598 Likes on 265 Posts

Ah it all depends. I have had zero issues with the dealership here so far.

Having a good SA is also important.
The following users liked this post:
LastMezger (08-09-2024)
Old 07-30-2024, 05:07 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Received 243 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by RealityGT
I heard some crazy stories about ppl paying +$50k for manual supra's... pure insanity lol
That said, the rumors of a new Supra (bang for $) are peeking my interests and thankfully I have friends at Toyota dealers
Supras, GR86, GR Corolla, RAV4s, Highlanders. You name it. The list goes on. People are lining up for their cars and they took a page out of Porsche's playbook.

Our daily driver Toyota has treated us well, but post-COVID, jeez, you go in for maintenance/service, it's like asking them for a favour! Post warranty, I've been doing basic/routine service myself and they keep calling me back to service the vehicle while berating me for doing it myself. Yeah, no thanks.
The following users liked this post:
RealityGT (07-30-2024)
Old 07-30-2024, 05:18 PM
RDMcG
Rennlist Member

Received 874 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by repcapale
Having a good SA is also important.
My experience also across several brands. Got my first new Porsche as a walk in and have never had an issue.

Similarly when I was in the BMW phase it was all generally excellent until it declined for me.. When it stopped being excellent I walked
Old 07-30-2024, 06:25 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 104 Posts

Tesla has it figured out. Every interaction I've had with them is amazing and most of it is through text or email. Although I don't have one of their cars anymore, I really appreciate the way that system works. You spec the car, click buy, and wait for it to arrive. No getting locked in a room with the "finance girl" trying to upsell on all kinds of overpriced unnecessary stuff. No ADMs, No VIP lists, No buying taycans to get allocations, No getting bounced back and forth between the dealer and Porsche Canada.
The following 3 users liked this post by JustinL:
LastMezger (08-09-2024), maschinetheist (08-01-2024), Viper pilot (07-31-2024)
Old 07-30-2024, 06:33 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 290 Likes on 196 Posts

I would never deal with a Porsche Stealer. They quoted $2,600 plus tax for the ghost horn issue which has a $4 part/20-minute labour fix. However, several friends and I are finding the GTA independents' service is getting worse particularly now that Henry has retired. Don't know what others have experienced.

Last edited by ronnie993tt; 07-30-2024 at 06:37 PM.
Old 07-30-2024, 06:56 PM
rwbern
Rennlist Member

Received 930 Likes on 416 Posts

I would be curious to know if there are ANY Porsche only dealership owners. My guess is very few, if any. A multi-brand owner dealer will be the same across the the board of his dealerships. For some reason, they cannot recognize the different customer needs and expectations, especially the Porsche customer. I am afraid that the only absolute, satisfactory dealership network would have to be Porsche owned and that will never happen, at least on the U.S.
Old 07-31-2024, 08:17 AM
damage98MO
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 218 Posts

My experience here has been disappointing to say the least. The PSC are part swappers, not technicians. I'm not going to go into details, but trust me when I say that I have experience with a quality PSC and my 'local' is not one. Never again. They wouldn't troubleshoot my intermittent limp mode other than to accuse me of having a modified car (not true, other than a valved exhaust and the UAOS) that they didn't want to work on, and they also quoted me 650 for an oil change. All I can say is never again. They didn't even return the car to the way it was before I brought it to them. The battery cover was on the floor in the frunk. The splice into the 12v in the engine compartment was left unwrapped / untaped. The remote receiver for the valved exhaust was hanging loose by the engine compartment. They did give me an invoice for almost 500.00 but wouldn't take payment when I picked up the car, mumbled something about bill by text. I never received the text and when I called to pay (out of the goodness of my heart) the receptionist seemed confused and said since they couldn't fix the car there's no charge. Well, that cost still cost me a lot, due to the distance involved delivering the car on a flatbed. I drive it home and the car left me stranded the next day. There's more, but I'm not going into details. All I can say is the service here and the service south of the border, specifically in Wilmington North Carolina, are night and day. Pick your service center carefully.
I'm going to have to pay to flatbed the car, this time to an Indy who I'm hearing good things about. It's expensive and frustrating. Summers are short here...

Quick Reply: I wonder if Porsche dealers have gone too far?