Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Who won the debate: MK (HP) or VR (Torque)
Mk won with a simple to understand concept that HP determines torque at the wheels at any speed.
17.48%
MK won: When comparing equal HP cars, the one with less torque COULD be better on the road course.
4.20%
VR won: When comparing equal HP cars, the one with more torque is better on a road course.
30.77%
Neither, as physics dont apply to race cars
12.59%
I don't want to open this can of worms again!
34.97%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Who won the HP vs Torque debate?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 10:16 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by Rassel

Max speed is reached when you can't accelerate anymore. Isn't acceleration what you want out from a corner?
Absolutely. However, torque is more useful and manageable than HP when getting back to gas in a corner. Max speed is not even relevant here, is it?

It's funny to see Mark bloviate out another 750 words with ever-increasing levels of personal insults and professional derision directly aimed at me. SO predictable, just like in all the other threads he started, trying to get other anonymous posters on an internet message board to tell him he's "right". So how did your poll work out for ya, Mark? The more you flail & lose ground, the more strident & insulting you get. What does that say about you, Mark? Unsurprisingly, no one wants to pay for your on track "expertise".

You seem very sensitive and brittle.

As for your video, I see a couple of suggestions right away. First, you are pinching the exits of a lot of corners. You hold lock too long. Start gradually unwinding when you get to the apex, not well beyond. Second, you are still adding lock at several apexes. Maybe try rotating the car a bit more crisply & start unwinding at apex. Third, you are late to gas in 3. Man, I love that track.

As for your desire to put $ on a "race", the last person to throw that at me was GhettoRacer....who never showed, and who has not been heard from since. So you are in excellent company!

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 03-18-2009, 10:56 AM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Absolutely. However, torque is more useful and manageable than HP when getting back to gas in a corner. Max speed is not even relevant here, is it?
If you want maximized acceleration and it's determined by Torque.
Shouldn't max speed, which is determined by the amount (or lack of) acceleration not be determined by torque then?
Old 03-18-2009, 11:00 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rassel
If you want maximized acceleration and it's determined by Torque.
Shouldn't max speed, which is determined by the amount (or lack of) acceleration not be determined by torque then?
Dude, I am sorry, but I am not gonna enter a scientific chalkboard debate on physics with you on this. I am (as I have already stated) not a physicist, and will not pretend to live in a physicist's theoretical world.

But I do know what works on track. If you choose to have a different point of view, that's fine. I appreciate that you are able to express that in a decent way w/o engaging in Mark's shrill derision and personal insults.

Old 03-18-2009, 11:31 AM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Dude, I am sorry, but I am not gonna enter a scientific chalkboard debate on physics with you on this. I am (as I have already stated) not a physicist, and will not pretend to live in a physicist's theoretical world.
I'm trying to figure out how you think in this matter, without involving anyone else. It looks like it's torque = max acceleration, hp= vMax. I have no delusions that I can convince you on an internet forum to change your opinion.

Somewhere in the logic we don't agree. So be it. We probably agree about 99% of the other stuff, so there is not point for any of us getting upset about the last 1%.

P.S And of course, you're welcome to convince me the other way around..

Last edited by Rassel; 03-18-2009 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Added last sentence
Old 03-18-2009, 11:35 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

VR , maybe if you explained it a little clearer in real world terms

Now:

Are you saying Seth's Bimmer which was 2 seconds up the road @ Mid-ohio on your's had more TQ or More HP? ...

Old 03-18-2009, 11:36 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
VR , maybe if you explained it a little clearer in real world terms

Now:

Are you saying Seth's Bimmer which was 2 seconds up the road @ Mid-ohio on your's had more TQ or More HP? ...

Nope. Seth is a slightly better driver, and I had never driven the car at speed prior to that weekend.

Old 03-18-2009, 11:40 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Nope. Seth is a slightly better driver, and I had never driven the car at speed prior to that weekend.

[SIZE="1"] 5"
Slightly ?

Dats a lot of time Davey , what kind of data AQ where you using that weekend and would you say Pierre had a HP or TQ advantage over Seth ..
Old 03-18-2009, 11:46 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Slightly ?

Dats a lot of time Davey , what kind of data AQ where you using that weekend and would you say Pierre had a HP or TQ advantage over Seth ..
Wayne, please.

You are on the verge of making a fool of yourself yet again. When you are able to actually add any value here, please let us know.

You still haven't been on track at speed yet, have you?

Old 03-18-2009, 11:46 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When was this?
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 03-18-2009, 11:48 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
When was this?
5/06

Old 03-18-2009, 12:07 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

So, out from the peanut gallery, you make a statement, but show nothing to back it up. The graphs show all you need to make a case either way. remember, these are not my laws, they are Newtons. IF you paid attention in high school science class, you might just begin to understand. Dont worry, you are not alone. we have 35+ other folks as confused as you!

Originally Posted by jgrant
You're wrong. All the pretty graphs in the world aren't going to change that.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:08 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Wayne, please.

You are on the verge of making a fool of yourself yet again. When you are able to actually add any value here, please let us know.

You still haven't been on track at speed yet, have you?

5"

So what ! Based on your times neither have you !

Dave here is an opportunity to redeem yourself .............we can do real world application:

Would you say Pierre's Honda had more TQ or more HP than Seth's BMW ...............

What kind of data AQ system where you using at Mid-ohio ? Did you not get to see Seth's data ?
Old 03-18-2009, 12:15 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,373 Likes on 1,999 Posts

Is A. Wayne a stalker? He seems to be following VRs every movement and calculating how much time he's behind on a given race, etc. etc. and then comes in and snipes, totally off the subject of the thread. This from a guy that would probably get car sick after a lap on track.

Wayne, I do feel sorry for you that you have nothing better to do with your time. Get a life. Your completely pathetic.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:16 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

2 seconds??? dude that is an eternity! I was 4 seconds off the top times at WCGT in a shxt box with 200 less hp than the top 10 cars. (Before Seth even started racing fast!)

Now, you come up with these excuses. Yes Seth is probably better than you.

Im not like your buddy, whoever that doesnt show up. Those that know me, no I always come through! Plus, it would be fun. name the place or come on out. we can settle on a car, rent some, or whatever.

mk

Old 03-18-2009, 12:27 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pete
Is A. Wayne a stalker? He seems to be following VRs every movement and calculating how much time he's behind on a given race, etc. etc. and then comes in and snipes, totally off the subject of the thread. This from a guy that would probably get car sick after a lap on track.

Wayne, I do feel sorry for you that you have nothing better to do with your time. Get a life. Your completely pathetic.
Pete be very careful , It is rumored VR lubricates , you might fall off....

Quick Reply: Poll: Who won the HP vs Torque debate?