Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To club race or not to club race. all opinions and suggestions welcomed!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 03:38 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Steward B.
JR, it would appear that you are not familiar with the basic premise of PCA club racing stock class rules, that is, PCA club racing in so far as possible attempts to keep "stock" stock, especially with regard to weights. Listed weights are factory published weights. Yes, that means from time to time a specific model car may be at a slight disadvantage on a HP to weight ratio, but interestingly enough, as soon as one says that, someone shows up with that exact car, dialed in and dominates the class.

With regard to your statement that Spec Boxster will dominate E class, that's unlikely to happen, as.......Spec Boxsters run in a different class, Spec Boxster.
You're right Bruce, I'm not well versed in the stock class rules though I'm reasonably literate and read the GCR's. I understand that the Boxsters carried different weights from the 2.5's (97'-99' MY's), to the 2.7's (00'-04' MY's). How is the weight w/driver computed? Is there a constant formula and how does the HP to weight figure in ?

Of course I realize that Spec Boxster's run in their own class and I'm glad PCA chose to incorporate the class last year. I was referring to the fact that they race with "E" cars in the same run group. It will be interesting to see how the lighter Spec Box's fare at TWS next weekend. There's 21 E cars and 12 Spec Box's in the Blue Group....
Old 03-07-2009, 06:39 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
You're right Bruce, I'm not well versed in the stock class rules though I'm reasonably literate and read the GCR's. I understand that the Boxsters carried different weights from the 2.5's (97'-99' MY's), to the 2.7's (00'-04' MY's). How is the weight w/driver computed? Is there a constant formula and how does the HP to weight figure in ?

Of course I realize that Spec Boxster's run in their own class and I'm glad PCA chose to incorporate the class last year. I was referring to the fact that they race with "E" cars in the same run group. It will be interesting to see how the lighter Spec Box's fare at TWS next weekend. There's 21 E cars and 12 Spec Box's in the Blue Group....
Here's a link to the rules: http://www.pca.org/clubrace/docs/08%20Rule%20Book.pdf

Driver is assumed to be 150 pounds. So, the weights used for club racing is the car's published weight plus 150 pounds.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:47 PM
Peter Carroll/Toronto
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Get something disposable to start. If you whack it you won't be too upset. A normally aspirated 944 is probably a good start. Then grow into something more powerful later on when you have all the anxiety out of your system.

I track an old 930 with 600+hp but I think you'd be insane to race one. The amount of money you would have to spend would be silly and cup cars would still wipe the track with you. I race an M3. It's relatively cheap. If you whack it, you buy another chassis and move all the good parts over.

If I was to start racing in PCA, I would build a 968. That's actually what I drove for my first race. It was a beautiful car. Easy to drive and you can change your line any time you like. When you feel like you need more power, just pop a 944 turbo motor in there...
Old 03-07-2009, 09:06 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian P
Here's a link to the rules: http://www.pca.org/clubrace/docs/08%20Rule%20Book.pdf

Driver is assumed to be 150 pounds. So, the weights used for club racing is the car's published weight plus 150 pounds.

Brian thanks for your help but I must be going blind. I've searched the GCR's and can't find that reference. Can you please point me to the relevant section?....
Old 03-08-2009, 12:02 AM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Brian thanks for your help but I must be going blind. I've searched the GCR's and can't find that reference. Can you please point me to the relevant section?....
I don't think it says it in the rules. The 150 pounds was mentioned when the rule change was proposed (originally, weights were done without the driver and the car weight was the factory published number).
Old 03-08-2009, 03:00 AM
rabjohns
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I also just sold my GT3 and bought a 964 G car. The rightplace to satrt clubracing I think.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:15 PM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
No power steering either

Whatever level it takes to turn a 2:03 in a street GT3 at VIR

I thought you already knew that I did driver coaching/instruction.

Splinter Cell Racing is a group of track addicts that I meet with every Saturday locally. The name we came up with is more of an inside joke than anything pertinent to the track itself.
Your street GT3 was as close to a cup car with carpeted interior as it gets - but with a better suspension. Don't fool yourself.
Sometimes the way you post just comes off as cocky. Sure you can drive but your "mouth" makes it sound like you think you are some pro who is better than Dave Murry. Way to alienate yourself
I think forklift was trying to say this but he is just way more tactful than I am.
See ya at Road Atlanta
Old 03-08-2009, 04:21 PM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Doug,
There is some great advice here, the best being that if you can afford then jump in to club racing!!! It is a lot of fun! Of course I think a cup car is the best choice if you could afford it. There is something pretty cool about having a fast factory built race car running in a spec class (although C3 and probably C4 have some guys who run cars a little better than factory spec)
But those classes have some good racing - especially at the bigger events. And they are probably some of the most reliable racecars out there.
Anyway you go though you will enjoy it!
Old 03-08-2009, 06:49 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 Nut
Your street GT3 was as close to a cup car with carpeted interior as it gets - but with a better suspension. Don't fool yourself.
Sometimes the way you post just comes off as cocky. Sure you can drive but your "mouth" makes it sound like you think you are some pro who is better than Dave Murry. Way to alienate yourself
I think forklift was trying to say this but he is just way more tactful than I am.
See ya at Road Atlanta
Wow...somebody has some serious Napoleon complex Matt. Your jealousy speaks volumes. You usually resort to talking behind people's backs so at least now you have graduated to the computer, nice. It amazing the bravado you get when typing.

And no, my street GT3 was not as close to a cup car with interior as it gets. Sure it was set up extremely well (thanks to Greg) but by no stretch was it a baby cup, don't kid yourself. I'm not the one that keeps buying speed remember.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:38 PM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

WOW! Not sure where you get jealousy from that. And not sure where you get that I talk behind peoples backs. Interesting. Talk about bravado when typing......
Anyway, your response is expected. As far as "buying" speed, I thought you wanted a Cup but couldn't afford it?? And the fact you try and discourage people who can afford one not to buy one maybe says volumes about jealousy.....hmm? As far as your "baby cup" comment - you can convince yourself of whatever you want. It is a shame we don't run in the same class, as I would love to race with you. I am not saying I am faster - that I really don't know. You are a fast guy, it is just the things you post sometimes that rubs me the wrong way.
Anyway, I will shut my mouth now I know my post was childish - shame on me - its not worth arguing on the internet. This is exactly why I stopped coming to this sight for a while and now I contributed to it! Sorry for that.
Like I said I will see you at Road Atlanta. I am not afraid to explain to you in person what I am trying to say. Maybe we can discuss things and possibly understand one another better and maybe see more eye to eye?
Old 03-08-2009, 07:42 PM
Peter Carroll/Toronto
Racer

Actually, this sounds like an excellent question for Ross Bentley. You should post it here. He is responding to our questions...

http://www.driversmeeting.com/forum/category/8/index
Old 03-08-2009, 07:45 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Carroll/Toronto
Actually, this sounds like an excellent question for Ross Bentley. You should post it here. He is responding to our questions...

http://www.driversmeeting.com/forum/category/8/index
Too bad I didn't see this yesterday, Ross spoke at a CVR instructors seminar yesterday, could have asked him in person!
Old 03-08-2009, 07:55 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Too bad I didn't see this yesterday, Ross spoke at a CVR instructors seminar yesterday, could have asked him in person!
Yes......we saw Ross yesterday, but which question are we talking about?

Surely not about a baby cup or buying speed........
Old 03-08-2009, 08:00 PM
Peter Carroll/Toronto
Racer

The one that started the thread of course... How best to get started in Club Racing... It's one of the great classic questions.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:04 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Carroll/Toronto
The one that started the thread of course... How best to get started in Club Racing... It's one of the great classic questions.
Gotcha........

BTW, great site.........

Quick Reply: To club race or not to club race. all opinions and suggestions welcomed!!