Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To club race or not to club race. all opinions and suggestions welcomed!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 12:46 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dougdep
Dell, I know I would also enjoy that satisfaction of getting a serious workout. I run 5 miles at least 4 times a week and do other stuff to stay in great shape. so wait a second though, no CD player and air conditioning in the 964??
Having tracked both a 964 USA Cup and an RSA (for sale) in the past three seasons, I prefer the non-power steering cars on track. Maybe that is due to have owned 911s for 35+ years and never getting used to the PS in those new fangled cars.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:27 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm sure many experienced racers will agree with me on this one; the cost of purchasing a car is not as important as the cost to campaign it. What's it going to cost week to week? That's also why everyone is telling you not to build one; the list is endless.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:49 PM
dougdep
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

in just 24 hours with the help of all of your great advice and opinions i have ruled out a few things. the first is that i am NOT going to buy a cup car. one day possibly but not now. the idea of getting a lower horsepower car and learning to drive it smooth and fast is def. the way to go. so, a stock boxster or a 964 i think is the best path to go down now if i am going to start racing this year.

the other thing i may do is try and do 1 or 2 races with someone elses car and just continue to do open track and DE's.

anyone want to buy a 997 gt3 and a 996 c4cab?
Old 03-03-2009, 02:52 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

To club race, that is the answer!
Old 03-03-2009, 03:25 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I started club racing back in 2002. I came to it since I like track driving, but had two issues. I had nice 88 944 Turbo S (this was 1999 remember) and I did not want to wreck it. Also being stock it was not all that fast. Making it faster would cost money for tires, suspension etc and make it less fun on the street.

So I picked up a $1400 944 NA and turned it into a track car. Because it was cheap and not that nice looking stripping it out for racing was easy to do. Also did not care about damage since the ext did not look that good either. As for breakdown. I had tow vehicle and trailer so at worst I could drag it home. The other reason was that being 150 hp NA it was never going to be really fast and that would reduce the mod costs (no big turbos or anything) and allow me to run smaller cheaper tires.

Well I started running that car in autocross and DE quickly found that 350lbs of weight removal and sticky tires were more important 100 more hp. This car when as fast at my street car around the track with out really trying that hard. So over the next couple years I drove in more DE's and decided to just race the thing in 2002. Great choice since racing did not cost much more than DE an was alot more fun. I am one of those competitin guys since I know I will never have the cash to be the fastest guy around. So I find it far more fun to try to be the fast guy in a slow car in class with strong competition.

So after nearly 7 full years of racing in the same car no less with the same suspension I am still having a blast. I am close the front of the class which is nice, but we are the slowest class around. Even so for me the competition keeps me energized and never lets things get stale.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:57 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dougdep
so, a stock boxster or a 964 i think is the best path to go down now if i am going to start racing this year.
Here's the only problem with the stock boxster.... I'm not aware of anybody nearby that has one that is prepped for racing that is currently for sale. I have heard of a spec boxster that is for sale on the west coast, but nobody runs spec boxsters on the east coast (at least not yet). So, if you are considering this route, you are likely going to be taking a street car and building it up to be a racer.

Raced prepped 964's and other 911 variants, appear to be somewhat plentiful lately.

I think it's going to cost a lot more to build up a stock boxster than it will to buy an already prepped 964 (I know, I know... duh!)

That being said, I'd love to have more boxsters out there competing with me, so just ignore everything I said above!
Old 03-03-2009, 06:38 PM
DogInBlack
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
The last thing I would do is build a car in the current state of things. There are lots of smokin deals on used racecars popping up. It's taken every little bit of self control not to buy a couple of the deals that have popped up recently. 2 racecars in the garage just isn't sitting well with the majority shareholder.
+1
I'm making more money in the track car hobby than in real estate this year. That isn't really saying much with real estate ( I sold a house yesterday that I have to take $25k to closing). There are some sick deals on racecars if you turn over some rocks and really investigate.

No wife or kids, lose the cab, by an RSA and definitely go racing! You really don't have anything else to think about.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:40 PM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gums
I'm sure many experienced racers will agree with me on this one; the cost of purchasing a car is not as important as the cost to campaign it. What's it going to cost week to week? That's also why everyone is telling you not to build one; the list is endless.
+1 stimulus package to that!
Old 03-03-2009, 07:21 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

RACE!

I made the jump from DE to racing last year. Did PCA and a NASA weekend.

I only wish I'd started sooner!

Too much fun.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:21 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

If you keep an eye on the 44cup.com classifieds, good cars are always coming on the market. http://44cup.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=3076

It's hard for some turtle-pilots to see themselves in a (gasp) 944, but one thing I've seen in real racers (and I'm NOT one) is that to them the car is an implement for a job. It has little sentimental value, and nobody cares how cool it looks. 944Cup is really cheap to run, and the fields are quite full.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:23 PM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brian P
Here's the only problem with the stock boxster.... I'm not aware of anybody nearby that has one that is prepped for racing that is currently for sale. I have heard of a spec boxster that is for sale on the west coast, but nobody runs spec boxsters on the east coast (at least not yet). So, if you are considering this route, you are likely going to be taking a street car and building it up to be a racer.

Raced prepped 964's and other 911 variants, appear to be somewhat plentiful lately.

I think it's going to cost a lot more to build up a stock boxster than it will to buy an already prepped 964 (I know, I know... duh!)

That being said, I'd love to have more boxsters out there competing with me, so just ignore everything I said above!
There's a few caymans & boxsters running around, I know of 5/6 now.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:23 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

I'm glad I went to 944SuperCup over 944Cup, it's a better ride.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:08 PM
DavidNR
Rennlist Member

TONS of great info here. Gald you started the thread doug, I have been debating/struggling (with no help from a couple friends...you know who you are) the same thing. After reading I will keep the GT3 another season, enjoy the DE's, instructing and give the plans for next year time to solidify over the summer. Thanks for the great advice guys!
Old 03-03-2009, 09:31 PM
Steve Watkins
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an RSA and a Spec Boxster, both great cars. The boxscar is fun becuase the fields are getting bigger, we have 13+ in Texas and the racing is super competitive. The RSA is more outright fun to drive. The boxcar consumables, mainly tires, are 1/4 the cost of the tires under the 964 to be competitive. Although not listed anywhere both are for sale and the track is only 30 minutes away, drive both and decide which one you are more comfortable with.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:35 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidNR
I have been debating/struggling (with no help from a couple friends...you know who you are) the same thing.

Quick Reply: To club race or not to club race. all opinions and suggestions welcomed!!