Sponsored by:

Why Do Some Racers Find It Important to Put Down DE

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 03:08 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
Apparently some racers put down DE-ers out of frigging ignorance and arrogance. I'm reading the dumbest crap ever in this thread. Like (1) racing costs the same as DE, and (2) DE guys don't race for fear of hurting their ego. What bull****.

Racing your daily or weekend driver isn't an option so how can you possibly say it doesn't cost more when many/most of us would have to buy another CAR to do it? (and a trailer and tow vehicle too). Or spend lot$ to get within class rules. Then there's the increased risk of damage. And higher insurance costs. Plus costs to actually be competitive. The list goes on. There are numerous valid reasons for people to stick to DEs only.
Eric

There are still guys in PCA CR who race their daily driver. The same car they used to DE.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:29 PM
magnetic1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im going to have to side w/ Bryan on this one. Another note is... as a racer, you dont have the time or the scheduling for everything. Id much rather be at a race than at a DE.

I know plenty of people who buy new Hoosiers for DEs. I'll never understand why, nor has my arguments ever been convincing. Therefore, my approach has been.. who the hell cares. It's their money, if they want to blow it on new Hoosiers for a DE, whatever. If Hoosier makes more money that way in order to continue their contingency programs, then so be it. Im not going to stop someone from supporting my free tires

And you dont need new parts, alignments, etc etc to be running up front. You dont need extra hotel stays or track support either. Ive been a one man show for years and lately Ive been sleeping in my truck or other racer's trailers.

And to the the argument that DE entry fees are less if you instruct. Come on.. Id rather pay an entry fee than to put my life in the hands of a stranger, then juggle two students running between session and then trying to run my own. Where is the "downtime" in that??

At least there is one thing both DEs and racing participants can agree on. Having some brew at the end of the day. Cheers
Old 12-05-2008, 03:31 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
Apparently some racers put down DE-ers out of frigging ignorance and arrogance. I'm reading the dumbest crap ever in this thread. Like (1) racing costs the same as DE, and (2) DE guys don't race for fear of hurting their ego. What bull****.

Racing your daily or weekend driver isn't an option so how can you possibly say it doesn't cost more when many/most of us would have to buy another CAR to do it? (and a trailer and tow vehicle too). Or spend lot$ to get within class rules. Then there's the increased risk of damage. And higher insurance costs. Plus costs to actually be competitive. The list goes on. There are numerous valid reasons for people to stick to DEs only.
Eric,

I think you are proving most of the posters points... Sell your car and buy something you can race if you truly want to race. If you don't want to race, then don't, just do DE's.

How about an example of what some are saying in this thread? I remember a while back (years ago) you commenting on one of my race videos and giving me racing tips/suggestions/comments... Do you see the irony? It's that part of DEr's that most racers do not like.

G.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:48 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

DE is to driving as racing is to flying.
DE is to batting practice as racing is to a real game.
I have not met a racer who did not start out in DE.
Enjoy their excitement and interest as it is where our future racers come from !
Old 12-05-2008, 03:49 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by George A
I remember a while back (years ago) you commenting on one of my race videos and giving me racing tips/suggestions/comments...
I think a monkey the rides a tricycle could give you tips on your driving. Wait, is that what you were saying?

I WAS SEVENTH!!!!

-td [I'm not a racer, but I play one in DE]
Old 12-05-2008, 03:52 PM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I've raced for several years now and never had track support. Most of the people I race against don't use track support.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:55 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregg Lewis
I have not met a racer who did not start out in DE.
DE didn't exist for some of us.......
Old 12-05-2008, 03:59 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
DE didn't exist for some of us.......
Figured someone like you might have beat me to that. Day 1 for me was an open test day, Day 2 was the first day of an SCCA licensing school.

Now if you want to count running around in the Oakland hills on public roads when I was a teenager as DE, then be my guest.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:00 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by race911
Just gleaning through this, and maybe someone brought it up, but there is another reason some of us can't race. Or used to and don't now. Health issues. I honestly don't think I could get race licensed RIGHT NOW. Again? Maybe. Personally, my diabetic condition has taken a right turn. (Or is it left turn.) Maybe other guys in my situation get a "wink, wink" from a doctor, but I won't. If I entered a race this weekend, I don't believe I'd be a hazard. But I take wheel-to-wheel (13/13 or for real) very seriously. Always have since I took my first green flag 25 years ago.

A DE (instructor) environment, or a private rental day, allows me to come and go on my own terms. If I want to skip a session, no big deal. Come in early, no big deal.

Here's to hoping the magic of modern medicine whips me back into shape and I can get back at it in '09........
I sincerely hope it works for you and you can get your health where it needs to be.

And thanks for enlightening those who think it is so simple for some of us to "get over your buts.....etc.", and think they have everyone else so easily figured out!
Old 12-05-2008, 04:01 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by race911
Figured someone like you might have beat me to that. Day 1 for me was an open test day, Day 2 was the first day of an SCCA licensing school.

Now if you want to count running around in the Oakland hills on public roads when I was a teenager as DE, then be my guest.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:02 PM
TedA
Addict
Rennlist Member

For 09 I will remain a DEer and continue to look down on myself...
Old 12-05-2008, 04:04 PM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 149 Likes on 95 Posts

There are racers who drive there racecar to the track and are competitive. The east coast club racers will know who Greg Wilson is. Drives his 911SC to the track, races up front and drives it home.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:08 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by TedA
For 09 I will remain a DEer and continue to look down on myself...
LMAO

Well at least your car looks like a race car.

BTW: Not an instructor to get cheap DE's. I enjoy it. The lower cost is a perk.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:10 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Eric,

I think you are proving most of the posters points... Sell your car and buy something you can race if you truly want to race. If you don't want to race, then don't, just do DE's...
I totally agree.

... I remember a while back (years ago) you commenting on one of my race videos and giving me racing tips/suggestions/comments... Do you see the irony? It's that part of DEr's that most racers do not like.

G.
You're kidding, right? So you don't want any feedback from DE'ers because they can't possibly know what they're talking about. Do you see how arrogant that sounds? It's that part of Racers that DE'ers do not like.

I apologize to you and any other racers if I've ever offered constructive critiques of your driving because as a lowly DE driver it's not my place to speak.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:17 PM
TedA
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 007DT
LMAO

Well at least your car looks like a race car.
It is a real race car. All it needs now is a drover.

I enjoy the driving and equally enjoy all (most really....) of the people I have met and new friends I have made in my time at the track.

Quick Reply: Why Do Some Racers Find It Important to Put Down DE