Sponsored by:

Why Do Some Racers Find It Important to Put Down DE

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 11:58 AM
magnetic1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Right Bob, but at a race you won't have a guy in a GT3 or 996 Cup Car come over to you and boast how he "ate you up" (in your SC)..

Yea, but at least in a DE Bob can let the excuses fly... my timing was off, my spark plug wires were loose.. o wait.

Originally Posted by Tedster
I think that because of this difference in expectation it is natural for a racer to feel superior in some way. As a person who has raced and now just DEs. I just don't want to take the chance that my pristine GT3 will be damaged or totaled.
So getting back to the original discussion, which was why run brand spankin new Hoosiers at a DE? If you are so keen on keeping your GT3 pristine and dont want to risk damaging it, why buy Hoosier A6s? Not saying you, but in general. No one has answered yet, WHY, brand new sticker Hoosiers are needed at a DE.

No one here is bashing DEs or putting them down. Like Bryan Watts said in earlier posts, NO one had even mentioned anything related to putting down DE participants. Comments were simply made as to why sticker Hoosiers were needed for a DE.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:29 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BobbyC
^^^ Yeah, tell him he's slower than Charlie... (Colin, buddy that i just couldn't resist).
He covered that under #8.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:40 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,057 Likes on 578 Posts

why hoosiers?

maybe because they're super easy to get ahold of? michelin pilot sport cups (stock tires for me) are about 2000 a set, while hoosiers are 1200.

leads me to point #2

since april I generally run my Mazda race car and her 880 kumho slicks- they're a spec tire so I need to drive on them in order to learn the car best.

in reality- we are all going to have our own budgets, our own cars-

spec 944, spec miata, cup car or spec boxster or 996 race car or 997TT- whatever you drive is probably because it's already in your garage or because that's what your budget allows.

point #3

if you knew then what you know now- well if I did- I probably would have never bought a few of my street cars and just spent it all on race cars and tow trucks instead. the only benefit of hitting the track in my 600hp turbo (first few days ever on a track) was that it made my GT3 seem wimpy and easy to drive...which is good also because it makes my Mazda like riding a mini-blimp
Old 12-06-2008, 12:52 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I fart in the general direction of all DE'ers
Old 12-06-2008, 12:54 PM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

"So getting back to the original discussion, which was why run brand spankin new Hoosiers at a DE? If you are so keen on keeping your GT3 pristine and dont want to risk damaging it, why buy Hoosier A6s? Not saying you, but in general. No one has answered yet, WHY, brand new sticker Hoosiers are needed at a DE."

What about trying to do your personal best, if new tries let someone do that, great. When someone ask about tires, answer the question to help them out, don't tell they are not good enough to run R-compound tires.

As I said, I use to race and loved it, now I only do DE's and love that. Each time I go out I always try and do better than I have ever done before. It is not racing, but can be very challenging and a lot of fun.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:11 PM
George S
Instructor

Originally Posted by TedA
For 09 I will remain a DEer and continue to look down on myself...
Thank you Ted, that was priceless.

btw, I think Bull has answered the Hoosier at DE question...."because he wants to and because he can"
Old 12-06-2008, 01:15 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=magnetic1;6064136]Yea, but at least in a DE Bob can let the excuses fly... my timing was off, my spark plug wires were loose.. o wait.

Thanks Eric. ( as I crawl back under the buss).
Old 12-06-2008, 01:18 PM
TwentySix
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sean F
I fart in the general direction of all DE'ers
Oh thank you God of Motorsports! I'm not sure we are worthy

Beth
(Ran Hoosier R6's on my 951 at DE's because I liked them....)
Old 12-06-2008, 01:26 PM
magnetic1
Racer

Originally Posted by ZAPmobile
"So getting back to the original discussion, which was why run brand spankin new Hoosiers at a DE? If you are so keen on keeping your GT3 pristine and dont want to risk damaging it, why buy Hoosier A6s? Not saying you, but in general. No one has answered yet, WHY, brand new sticker Hoosiers are needed at a DE."

What about trying to do your personal best, if new tries let someone do that, great. When someone ask about tires, answer the question to help them out, don't tell they are not good enough to run R-compound tires.

As I said, I use to race and loved it, now I only do DE's and love that. Each time I go out I always try and do better than I have ever done before. It is not racing, but can be very challenging and a lot of fun.
Arnie, maybe I am missing something here. WHERE did anyone say someone wasnt good enough to run R-compound tires? That was (and IS NOT) the reason why me and at least a few others who posted were suggesting at all.

And then to somehow go from that non-existent implication and then infer that somehow racers put down DE guys is just crazy.

But like I said in my first post. Who the hell cares? Were just going round and round in circles here. If someone wants to and has the money to blow $1200 + on sticker Hoosier A6s at a DE, let em. Also like I wrote... it helps Hoosier make money and fund their contingency programs. So the more the merrier! GO FOR IT! Im sure Hoosier would have NO objection to people running sticker tires at every DE.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:57 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

Old 12-06-2008, 02:21 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by George S
Thank you Ted, that was priceless.

btw, I think Bull has answered the Hoosier at DE question...."because he wants to and because he can"
I tried in post #96.

BTW, I wouldn't run A6s either....I run R6s and put a lot of heat cycles on them. They cost me less to run than MPSCs......so see, I do it to save money!

When anyone tells me they don't understand how it makes any sense for me to run Hoosiers for a DE, I'm reminded of the old saying..."Pardon me Sir, but you seem to have mistaken me for someone who gives a **** what you think"!

When they tell me that they personally choose not to run them, I tell them "good for you"!

Last edited by Bull; 12-06-2008 at 02:57 PM.
Old 12-06-2008, 02:54 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've run new R6s at DEs because that the only way I know of to get them to be used R6s.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 12-06-2008, 03:28 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Larry and Bull

I fart in your general direction.

{There's a decent breeze today from the West, so it may even make it to the (L)east Coast}
Old 12-06-2008, 03:54 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi
Larry and Bull

I fart in your general direction.

{There's a decent breeze today from the West, so it may even make it to the (L)east Coast}
I smell something, but it's probably just New Jersey.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:09 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
I smell something, but it's probably just New Jersey.
It likely has something to do with people in Pennsyltuckey still not wearing shoes.

Quick Reply: Why Do Some Racers Find It Important to Put Down DE