Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Incident at Road America - Please Comment

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 10:24 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I didn't imply that. Imply is what most have done in this thread. Read into it what you will. I'm done here. The fact is that it's a shame that two cars didn't get to finish a race and what exactly happened, none of us will know.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:30 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
As a Scrutineer for PCA, I can say that with only 1 video posted on Rennlist, you cannot determine all of the facts, from both sides. There are always external factors and the perception of one person might differ from anothers. The race Scrutineers go to great lenghts to find out the facts, look at data (if available) and identify 3rd party people who have video documentation of the incident. The Stewards review the facts and make a determination. I think these Rennlist discussions are simply a waste of time and in cases past just added unnecessary "fuel to the fire". I don't think you can make any concrete, factual determinations of what happened from the video posted.
Great comments. A very interesting discussion for a soon-to-be racer.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:36 AM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to see the data from s/f all the way to the incident. I'm curious to what the apex speed was at T5.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:10 AM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Regardless of this chatter, it would be interesting to know what the wisdom of the race officials determined.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:14 AM
GT3 Racer
Rennlist Member

Every corner at RA is under video coverage, I am sure the officials got a good look and took appropriate measures.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:39 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

But, he (99) completed the pass and was hit by behind. Regardless of the driver behind being faster or even faster in the turns, if he is that good, he should be able to control himself in the turn, after being passed without hitting anyone.
We race like this EVERY single race and one one seems to touch, as I think it just has to do with car control and attitude. He lost control as was not able to match the 99 cars slightly slower speed, and position his car to the outside during the run through the turn. The approach to the turn has nothing to do with it.

mk

Originally Posted by jmorris3
You imply that all cars that run a sprint pace wreck in the second lap.

I'm with Jim B, 99 overslowed for the corner in an attempt to use his huge horsepower advantage to squirt away from 169.

Mifkin
Old 09-12-2008, 11:45 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

just because its an enduro, doesnt mean you drive like you are doing a DE.
enduro Race means its a LONGE race than a sprint race, but still a race. You dont want to be anything stupid as is a long RACE, but still a race. He was patient by waiting for a point where he could complete a pass and even give room on the exit as too not kill momentum or slam the door on a possible 2 wide entry and exit on the turn. No reason at all there should have been contact. The only question is why the contact before the turn, but thats a separate discussion. once the 99 car was in front, it was the following cars responsibilty to control his car . by the way, it wasnt a light contact, it was a big punt or bump!

mk

Originally Posted by LVDell
Patient? Wasn't this the beginning of an enduro? That's is NOT patient at all.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:54 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

did you notice where the cup car was trying to go? it wasnt that he couldnt slow down, he was trying to pass on the outside, in the turn, even though the 99 left a little room. I watched it again, as the 99 got punted and there was no cup car in sight? I thought, where did he go? he punted as he went around ON the outside. clearly, he didnt feel it was right for him to get passed and he was going to fight it through the turn at all cost. 13/13 no question
Old 09-12-2008, 11:57 AM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jmorris3
I would like to see the data from s/f all the way to the incident. I'm curious to what the apex speed was at T5.
Their particular speed? No idea. But typically it's at least 50, but no more than 60.

The truly gifted drivers are able to run a 90-min enduro at a sprint pace. Without a single problem.

FWIW, saying that driver variability is a "problem" seems a little ridiculous. Saying "therein lies the challenge" would be more appropriate -- this is motor racing, folks. It's what makes W2W exciting -- the best you can do is be as aware as possible of the environment around you, and make decisions based on best guesses for the guy next to you's move. If you want to always be assured your car will come back in one piece, buy an XBox and play from the couch. For the rest of us, we'll take our chances and drive to the best of our abilities -- which includes as safely as possible, constantly aware of what the guy next to us is doing.

The "spinee" car undoubtedly had a slower apex speed than the spinner car, but T5 is a very wide turn -- very possible to run wide, or take the turn off-line.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:06 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

and their times were less than 2 seconds apart, which at Road America is more like under 1 second at a shorter track near you. 2:15s, 2:17s in enduro qual are all pretty darn quick out there. the very fastest in the group couldnt breat 2:19 in the actual enduro. Thats besides the point. The turn is near texbook for a 90 degree turn off a fast straight. It was a punt, clear and simple.

mk

Originally Posted by ausgeflippt951
Their particular speed? No idea. But typically it's at least 50, but no more than 60.

The truly gifted drivers are able to run a 90-min enduro at a sprint pace. Without a single problem.

FWIW, saying that driver variability is a "problem" seems a little ridiculous. Saying "therein lies the challenge" would be more appropriate -- this is motor racing, folks. It's what makes W2W exciting -- the best you can do is be as aware as possible of the environment around you, and make decisions based on best guesses for the guy next to you's move. If you want to always be assured your car will come back in one piece, buy an XBox and play from the couch. For the rest of us, we'll take our chances and drive to the best of our abilities -- which includes as safely as possible, constantly aware of what the guy next to us is doing.

The "spinee" car undoubtedly had a slower apex speed than the spinner car, but T5 is a very wide turn -- very possible to run wide, or take the turn off-line.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:09 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JimB
Thank you JR and Geoffrey! I can't believe the way people are jumping all over the 169 car based on this video. Given how much faster the 99 car is, the 169 driver is at least a 4 second a lap faster driver. (BTW, he's 4th in points in IMSA challenge. Not exactly a hack.) From my limited perspective the 169 car squeezed the 99 a bit going into one but left him plenty of room. No one would call that blocking on the first or second lap. Going into T5 the 169 car followed his normal line. Should he have seen the 99 and altered his line? Probably but it's not like he ran over an old lady in a crosswalk. The second hit was purely the 99 car over slowing and the 169 not being unable to adjust. Again, if you've driven a 997 cup into T5 at speed you know you don't have a lot of margin.
So does that mean if the 99 over slowed into T5, he should get the 13?

I'm not being argumentative, just trying to get a handle of the rules. I know there was another incident that weekend where the lead car over slowed and got tapped in the back and the car that did the tapping got the 13.

G.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:14 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
As a Scrutineer for PCA, I can say that with only 1 video posted on Rennlist, you cannot determine all of the facts, from both sides. There are always external factors and the perception of one person might differ from anothers. The race Scrutineers go to great lenghts to find out the facts, look at data (if available) and identify 3rd party people who have video documentation of the incident. The Stewards review the facts and make a determination. I think these Rennlist discussions are simply a waste of time and in cases past just added unnecessary "fuel to the fire". I don't think you can make any concrete, factual determinations of what happened from the video posted.
Geoffrey,

I know it's been discussed here before, but why don't we make these rulings public? I've read a couple and it made what appeared initially as a "strange" ruling, rational. Heck, the FIA does for F1.....

G.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:17 PM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GT3 Racer
Every corner at RA is under video coverage, I am sure the officials got a good look and took appropriate measures.
It would be interesting to know what they felt was appropriate.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:41 PM
Premier Motorsp
Racer

Why are you guys even talking about what happened in turn 5?

The driver of the red and white car intentionally tried to run the camera car off the track on a straight! How can there be any excuse for that?

In what race series is that action appropriate? 150 mph, walls 10 feet from the track on both sides. That is the action of a lunatic.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:50 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I know it's been discussed here before, but why don't we make these rulings public?
You'd have to ask the head of PCA club racing why? If you think they should be public, then write a rules proposal that says "incident rulings shall be posted on the PCA website after each race". PCA is run by the club racers and the rules defined by them as well.

I've read a couple and it made what appeared initially as a "strange" ruling, rational. Heck, the FIA does for F1.....
That is because it is Rennlist, and you aren't getting all of the facts. I assure you, the Stewards are racers themselves, they aren't arbritary, nor are they idiots.

Quick Reply: Incident at Road America - Please Comment