Incident at Road America - Please Comment

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 12:51 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 Racer
Every corner at RA is under video coverage, I am sure the officials got a good look and took appropriate measures.
Was a 13 given?
Old 09-12-2008, 02:03 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Patient? Wasn't this the beginning of an enduro? That's is NOT patient at all.
So instead you should follow behind them and let competitors behind you catch up? Oh, ok...
What do you want, a freaking point by? Maybe a written invitation?
Old 09-12-2008, 02:14 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 95 Posts

The pace of a PCA enduro, or at least the first half, is every bit as fast as a sprint race. Often times faster if the enduro is on Sunday and everyone is feeling more comfortable with their particular car on that weekend and have had more track time. Anyone that does not treat it as such simply does not win the race.

So, sure, you can "be patient" but you won't win.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:18 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RSRRacer
The pace of a PCA enduro, or at least the first half, is every bit as fast as a sprint race. Often times faster if the enduro is on Sunday and everyone is feeling more comfortable with their particular car on that weekend and have had more track time. Anyone that does not treat it as such simply does not win the race.

So, sure, you can "be patient" but you won't win.
EXACTLY.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:29 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Smith
So instead you should follow behind them and let competitors behind you catch up? Oh, ok...
What do you want, a freaking point by? Maybe a written invitation?
You are 100% misinterpreting my point. I am not saying that you are SLOWER. And WTF is it with you guys looking down on the DE crowd. What exactly is DE pace? They are 2 different things yet the awards and prize money are the same....ZILCH! So explain to me again what you are "racing" for.

All I am saying is that in a race length of 35 laps (versus the 9 lap sprint) to press the issue on lap 1 or 2 is stupid. It is clear that it is going to happen MUCH easier in the next lap or two anyway.

Some of y'all that CR and look down on the DE are a bunch of ******** with your arrogance. Everybody is out there for the same reason....to have fun and explore their limits (hopefully safely). Sure it's not the same thing but last time I checked I have seen point-bys in racing. The day you have a sponsor, draw a salary doing this as your living, and win the substantial portion of a purse, you are doing nothing more than open passing DE that publishes results.

Arguing with some of y'all is pointless. So explain to me again how taking yourself out or being taken out of a race on lap 2 of 34 is better than letting your competitors catch up for another lap while you pick the best spot to pass and keep mister aggressive from having a chance to punt you??? Aren't they going to have to go through the same crap?

Time to unsubscribe from this thread as it seems nobody will be able to see a point of view other than how they see it to be.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:34 PM
Joe L
Instructor

faster lap times... monumentally talented driver in imsa... bigger *****... cuter girlfriend... blah, blah, blah.... whatever, this is pca racing - the 'c' stands for 'club', not 'competizione professionale'. it was a dick move by the 169 car.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:40 PM
SG_M3
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
You are 100% misinterpreting my point. I am not saying that you are SLOWER. And WTF is it with you guys looking down on the DE crowd. What exactly is DE pace? They are 2 different things yet the awards and prize money are the same....ZILCH! So explain to me again what you are "racing" for.

All I am saying is that in a race length of 35 laps (versus the 9 lap sprint) to press the issue on lap 1 or 2 is stupid. It is clear that it is going to happen MUCH easier in the next lap or two anyway.

Some of y'all that CR and look down on the DE are a bunch of ******** with your arrogance. Everybody is out there for the same reason....to have fun and explore their limits (hopefully safely). Sure it's not the same thing but last time I checked I have seen point-bys in racing. The day you have a sponsor, draw a salary doing this as your living, and win the substantial portion of a purse, you are doing nothing more than open passing DE that publishes results.

Arguing with some of y'all is pointless. So explain to me again how taking yourself out or being taken out of a race on lap 2 of 34 is better than letting your competitors catch up for another lap while you pick the best spot to pass and keep mister aggressive from having a chance to punt you??? Aren't they going to have to go through the same crap?

Time to unsubscribe from this thread as it seems nobody will be able to see a point of view other than how they see it to be.

Have you raced yet? If not, then just wait. You'll see why many look at DE people in a different light. Its easy to go out and run fast laps in a DE, now do the samething in race. The effort is 5x. I don't look down at them, but when a DE guy brags he runs XXX time, I just look at it differently.

The, "its for fun" "what prize money" thing is a give up answer. We all obviously race for some reason, we like competition. We like to win, its not a bad thing to say or something you shouldn't say in club racing. I go to race weekends wanting to win my class and overall. If I don't, i'm disappointed. Did I have fun? Of course, but is that the reason I went to the race? No, I went to win. I don't get why club racers always look down on wanting to win or having the goal of winning. You don't have to hide behind the "its just for fun" comments all the time.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:50 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,607 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by Premier Motorsp
Why are you guys even talking about what happened in turn 5?

The driver of the red and white car intentionally tried to run the camera car off the track on a straight! How can there be any excuse for that?

In what race series is that action appropriate? 150 mph, walls 10 feet from the track on both sides. That is the action of a lunatic.
That is certainly the way it appeared. I would love to see some video from a car behind them to be sure, however.
Old 09-12-2008, 04:01 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by George A
So does that mean if the 99 over slowed into T5, he should get the 13?

I'm not being argumentative, just trying to get a handle of the rules. I know there was another incident that weekend where the lead car over slowed and got tapped in the back and the car that did the tapping got the 13.

G.
I don't see how you could give the 99 a 13. I'm not saying 169 is innocent. I would assume he would get the 13 for not seeing the 99 car at the crest of the hill. I'm just saying that it was much more of a racing incident than some crazy track rage moment some are making it out to be.

I certainly don't think the hit at the apex was anything other than the 169 car not being able to slow to the speed of the 99. It's not like they were racing for turn 6. They both knew they were done for the day after the first hit.

The driver of the red and white car intentionally tried to run the camera car off the track on a straight! How can there be any excuse for that?

In what race series is that action appropriate? 150 mph, walls 10 feet from the track on both sides. That is the action of a lunatic.
I suppose you could be right but that's a pretty big accusation. Looking at the video I really think 169 was just following his normal line that causes you to cross the track at that point. I hope that's what was happening.

I can tell you I'm very careful about where I stick my nose between T3 and T5. I always make sure I'm seen before making a staightaway pass there and between the kink and Canada corner. Unlike most straights cars pass back a forth across the track due to the little kinks in the road.

Enough of this. I'm going karting. I fully intend to punt the number 3 IMSA Challenge driver once or twice this afternoon.
Jim
Old 09-12-2008, 04:17 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

They both knew they were done for the day after the first hit.
Now THAT is a BIG assumption...too many drivers continue until black flagged...
Old 09-12-2008, 04:36 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

oh....never mind.....
Old 09-12-2008, 05:18 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Cupcar99
See http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=H5TrnIK0O-Y

Video clip starts coming onto front straight and ends at track out of turn 5.
The race is a PCA enduro held on September 1, 2008.
Not sure what the white/blue car was thinking. Other than "that f&#ker aint passing me". Clear wack in the straight. No way I can see that as "not seeing" the passing car there. It was pretty clear the camera car was there and coming. I don't know how you lose someone there. Then coming out of 5 the camera car got hit. I can't see from the video if the car being pass overshot the braking zone or hit the car on purpose.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:31 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

+5 billion.

I saw it pretty clearly on the straight going to turn the lead car knew the camera car was coming yet attempted to run him off the road. Not smart. I suspect he punted him hard in 5, but it could be do a simple driver error at not intentional, but the video just does not show that.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:53 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

DE hack checking in.

My gut tells me that it is a bad idea to overdrive the first lap or two of an enduro. What's the rush, right? But unless it's a REALLY long race, it seems to me that you can lose more track position to the leaders during the first lap than at any other time. Assume, hypothetically, you and your car are capable of running with the lead cars, but you're starting in the back. You'll inevitably end up running slow laps until you clear the deadwood. 3, 4 or 5 laps later, you're clear of the deadwood, but the leaders are 1/2 a lap ahead, and you don't have enough laps to make it up.

So my meager point is that there IS a logical incentive to go gangbusters on the early laps IF you have a car/driver that can win. That doesn't mean you do it, though, because there are obvious downsides.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:10 PM
Cupcar99
8th Gear

Additional information: while sitting at the black flag station, the driver of the other car approached my car and said (yelled): "How the fxxx do you tag someone on a straightaway?" The conversation did not get prettier from there. The video of this dialogue is amusing to me now (but not at the time). At the tower (some 60 minutes later), the other driver saw my video and then claimed: 1) he did not see me on the straight and 2) I overslowed my car in T5 (implying he could not avoid me, I suppose). Had he hit me in the LR, I might conclude that he tried diving under me and made a mistake coming out of T5. The pics show that he hit me (hard) right in the mufflers. In my view, he mistakenly came over on me in the straight leading into T5 when we were both committed to full throttle and going roughly 150 mph. He assumed that I hit him. The red mist got to him and he intentionally punted me off track with everything he had. I was at full throttle past the apex at the point of contact.

Quick Reply: Incident at Road America - Please Comment