Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Incident at Road America - Please Comment

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 12:52 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dell is a 36-time World DE Champion and has the trophies to prove it. He knows what he's talking about.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:04 PM
rstrahota
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This video did not showcase the true spirit of pca club racing, thats for sure.
Seems like someone forgot there was no prize money or sponsor glory to be had that weekend.
Good reminder for me to stay in F class and not "move up" to the cup cars!
Old 09-13-2008, 01:55 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

wow. looked pretty straight forward to me. we've all raced against guys who pinch you on the straight, just to get you thinking. unless he was drunk and drifting, the only reason to go back to the left is to pinch/block. Looks like he was trying to pinch you and just lost track of exactly where you were. I don't think he hit you on purpose but he sure as heck was pinching you for a reason.

I'm sorry, but there really isn't any reason to hit someone in the *** in PCA racing for over braking. Guy misses a shift on exit, different story. That's an unexpected mistake and you don't have many options. Guy takes a pass, goes in hot and early on the inside and you're surprised he's going slower than normal, huh? If a guy over brakes in front of me (happens every corner in lapped traffic), you brake longer and straighter and give up the corner - you don't punt the guy.

The above story seems like a very lame cover up for a punt. You got punted.
Old 09-13-2008, 02:10 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For those that haven't raced at Road America and are so sure 169 was blocking or intentionally pinching 99, here is a quick video of the same corner in the same race where I followed the eventual winner of GTC3 into T5. He takes the line that 169 took. Not to block but because they find that's the fastest way though the corner. I took the follow the road approach only because my car was pushing like a pig and the less turning I had to do the better off I was.

And yes, I screw up my downshift pretty badly. Like I said, getting a 997 slowed down for this corner is no picnic.

http://s307.photobucket.com/albums/n...t=RA2008T5.flv
Old 09-13-2008, 02:24 PM
230ERACER
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle

Ok JimB, so 169 didn't intentialy hit him, the 99, on the straight going into turn 5. What about when he (169) stayed on the throttle while he was PUNTING the 99 into a spin?

And Dick you are so correct about staying in the "F" class with all us "F"ers especially when you are the one we all have to beat to win.
Old 09-13-2008, 02:35 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JimB
For those that haven't raced at Road America and are so sure 169 was blocking or intentionally pinching 99, here is a quick video of the same corner in the same race where I followed the eventual winner of GTC3 into T5. He takes the line that 169 took. Not to block but because they find that's the fastest way though the corner. I took the follow the road approach only because my car was pushing like a pig and the less turning I had to do the better off I was.

And yes, I screw up my downshift pretty badly. Like I said, getting a 997 slowed down for this corner is no picnic.

http://s307.photobucket.com/albums/n...t=RA2008T5.flv
I want to second JimB. 169 pretty much took what is my line into that corner.

Between Turn 3 and Turn 5 a car will meander across the track 3 times to maintain the straightest line. It makes the straight very complicated in traffic.
Old 09-13-2008, 02:47 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 230ERACER
Ok JimB, so 169 didn't intentialy hit him, the 99, on the straight going into turn 5. What about when he (169) stayed on the throttle while he was PUNTING the 99 into a spin?
How do you know he stayed on the throttle? Have you seen his video or were you in the car with him?...

FWIW I talked to Galen about this incident when he first came back. He contends the 99 car unexpectedly came under him and tried to make a late pass as he was setting up the turn. He thinks the line was his and it was a unsafe move especially considering he'd been consistantly quicker that this guy in all previous sessions. He also stated the guy over braked hard at the apex after Galen moved over probably because he was coming in so hot trying to make the late pass. You guys who were talking about race stategy for an enduro should have something to say about that pass on the first lap....

Galen thought since the 99 car is a RS or RSR, he should have waited and try again to take him on the straight with his 50+ extra HP (something he wasn't previously able to accomplish in practice or qualifying) instead of jeopordizing both cars by the attempted late pass.

Remember also this was the first lap on fresh, cold slicks....
Old 09-13-2008, 02:59 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

I'm not sure why you guys keep bringing up that the 169 was faster in previous sessions. Who cares and what does it have to do with this incident? From the video, it sure looks like the 99 was quicker for that lap.

G.
Old 09-13-2008, 03:07 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm confused. A guy moves to the inside to make a pass (on the straight) another guy moves over and hits him because he's trying to take his normal line but can't because the other guy is there. What does normal line have to do with it? He either tried to take away an inside pass by moving over or he went for his normal line but never saw him (which I can't imagine given it's a straight) but either way he caused the contact. The other guy has every right to be there, especially on a straight.

Last edited by Sean F; 09-13-2008 at 08:51 PM.
Old 09-13-2008, 03:17 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean F
I'm confused. A guy moves to the inside to make a pass (on the straight) another guy moves over and hits him because he's trying to take his normal line but can't because the other guy is there. Was does normal line have to do with it? He either tried to take away an inside pass by moving over or he went for his normal line but never saw him (which I can't imagine given it's a straight) but either way he caused the contact. The other guy has every right to be there, especially on a straight.
I think the reason those of us keep saying that it is a normal line he was taking was to keep people from jumping to the conclusion that because the car moved to the left he was intentionally blocking him and trying to squeeze him off the track.

Just trying to give some 'bigger picture' to the discussion.
Old 09-13-2008, 03:27 PM
230ERACER
Rennlist Member

Default Heard it with my own ears!

JR Gordan FWIW....If you notice they are pretty much by themselves exiting turn 5 and you could hear the 169 throttle hard right through the guy. I really don't care what the 169 guy told you, I was there and heard it with my own ears. Since you know this guy so well why don't you have him post his video for all of us to see, we would then hear how he backed out of the throttle (bull ****) after he got into 99's rear.

Again the guy PUNTED him because he was pissed about the straight away thing. Just my STRONG opinion.
Old 09-13-2008, 04:15 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 230ERACER
JR Gordan FWIW....If you notice they are pretty much by themselves exiting turn 5 and you could hear the 169 throttle hard right through the guy. I really don't care what the 169 guy told you, I was there and heard it with my own ears. Since you know this guy so well why don't you have him post his video for all of us to see, we would then hear how he backed out of the throttle (bull ****) after he got into 99's rear.

Again the guy PUNTED him because he was pissed about the straight away thing. Just my STRONG opinion.
I'm assuming you were by the track watching correct? How would you know which motor you;re hearing? The 99 driver said he was on the throtle and you can hear that in his video. The cup has a muffler/cat that is quiter so are you sure what you heard was from the cup?
Old 09-13-2008, 04:22 PM
230ERACER
Rennlist Member

Default SAY IT AGAIN

JR.....have the 169 post his video!!!!!he punted the guy and was hard on the throttle....to the point that he even spun his own self out after he punted the 99..."dude" I saw and heard it with my own eyes and ears! Done with this ****.

Let me know when 169 has the ***** to post his video!
Old 09-13-2008, 04:31 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

This is the stupidest bench racing ,monday morning quarterbacking I've seen in a long time!
Old 09-13-2008, 05:05 PM
James-man
Race Car

169 took the DE line, not the racing line.

Quick Reply: Incident at Road America - Please Comment