Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Incident at Road America - Please Comment

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 05:11 PM
Cupcar99
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My goal for posting this clip was to substantially enhance the awareness for all of us club racers. This is an awesome sport where we have all found great joy, satisfaction and frustration. Frustration is part of racing. The most important point is that we have MUCH less contact going forward.
If the stewards say there are no 13s or both get a 13, they have seen more info than any of us. There is a corner worker report, a video from the 169 car and my videos. The 437 car won the race and would have been immediately behind both cars in this incident.
BTW, the tires were not cold. We were on lap 2 or 3 by that point. I made the apex of T5 without a problem. When I get home, I will post my minimum corner speed for those of you who have asked. As for being slower all weekend, that is true. I had major set up issues and a critical brake failure that kept me from getting much accomplished on Friday and Saturday. I felt I was just getting up to speed again by the time the enduro rolled around. FYI, I led the first 10 laps at RA last year and won overall this year at Mid Ohio, Barber, Putnam and VIR (all incident free).

Last edited by Cupcar99; 09-14-2008 at 10:10 AM.
Old 09-13-2008, 05:15 PM
230ERACER
Rennlist Member

Default Amen

Old 09-13-2008, 06:36 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I just heard that 169 did in fact receive a 13/13 for the incident.....
Old 09-13-2008, 08:01 PM
Premier Motorsp
Racer

I have the video from the 437 car. It does not show anything useful, he was too far back so the view is blocked by the rise in the straight leading to turn 5.

It does show the 99 and 169 spinning out, but not what caused the spins.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:47 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Premier Motorsp
I have the video from the 437 car. It does not show anything useful, he was too far back so the view is blocked by the rise in the straight leading to turn 5.

It does show the 99 and 169 spinning out, but not what caused the spins.
Chris are you going to Miller?
Old 09-13-2008, 11:36 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

I'm not sure how anyone can claim to know the intent of the 169 driver. The video and damage location show only one view, which is not a complete story.

Btw, eyewitness accounts are notriously unrealiable.
Old 09-14-2008, 04:00 AM
lipamax
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Guys,
Let me pinch in with my .02. I hope no one will take it personally, but to me it's all clear and simple. Started (based on video) on the main straight going into T1 169 made a move to kill 99 momentum and defend his position. 99 set him up (earlier acceleration and more momentum through T3) to make a pass at T5 and he MADE! a beautiful, classic pass... I'm sure 169 knew that 99 will make a move and pass him.
Who cares about practice and qualifying times after green dropped???
Sorry, if I didn't meet someone's expectations.

Last edited by lipamax; 09-14-2008 at 02:39 PM.
Old 09-14-2008, 12:55 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D

Btw, eyewitness accounts are notriously unrealiable.
Unlike internet opinion and analysis...

Old 09-14-2008, 03:59 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by kurt M
Just some opinions from a "DE douchbag" that is building a race car so he can get beat by as few as posable.

Bold #1. Fercryingoutloud Dell, have you ever even been to a Club Race? Even the first race baby seals and non racing volunteers have a better grasp of amateur competition IMO. It is far more than DE with time sheets. 6th = 5th loser to a competitor monetary payoff or not. While you are biding your time behind a not in class car your in class competition is running further away or making time back on you. When in class times are often seconds or fraction of seconds apart the hold time might mean an insurmountable time distance delta to make up even in a 30+ lap race. **** happens. There is a difference between laying down and reckless abandon.

Bold #2. I teach my kids not to throw toys and pout. I also teach them to listen and learn from people that have experience.
I don't think you are a "DE douchebag" but if that's the name given to us DE guys making the jump, then I'm one as well.

My opinions to this thread were probably a bit more than needed to be but I think the problem lies with the fact that I get tired of hearing the CR crowd putting down the DE crowd. My comments were "in general" and not made at anybody specific and seemed to be brewing for some time and this thread is where I voiced my frustration. Just my frustration I guess but at the wrong place and time. For that I apologize.

I am very excited to start my CR journey but sure don't want to fall in the trap of thinking DE guys are to be looked at differently. Maybe I will see the light after my first race next month. I obviously have alot to learn and look forward to it.

This is one of those threads that I should have just kept my mouth shut and took it in from the sidelines. If I offended anybody with my post I sincerely apologize and I owe you a beer and some good conversation at the track.

As far as those individuals that feel the need to attack somebody personally when no post was directed at them, your actions were just as bad (if not worse) than mine. At least I can apologize for my inappropriate words.

Thanks to those of you that PM'd me to let me know that while you can understand my frustration, you were still able to speak to me with class and point out the error of my way. I thank each of you for that and appreciate the tact and class you showed.

.....and now back to your regularly scheduled programming.
Old 09-14-2008, 04:02 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Dell, I am sorry you think that CR folks put down the DE crowd. It is a shame that some do, but most don't IMO. Just ignore those who do.
Old 09-14-2008, 04:06 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

There is a group (albiet small I am sure) and I just get so tired of hearing the CR arrogance put down the whole DE thing. I see it frequently when a guy first moves from DE to CR and thinks now their **** don't stink at a DE b/c they are now a "racer".

I posted my frustration as some here added fuel to the CR to DE fire and my initial rant while shows my frustration, as I said, posted at the inappropriate time and place. For that I am truly sorry as it took away momentarily from the spirit of this thread.

You have my permission to smack the **** out of me if I act holier than thou toward the DE crowd after my CR transition next month.
Old 09-14-2008, 04:09 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

I see it too, bro.

Just ignore it, do your thing, and enjoy!!
Old 09-14-2008, 04:11 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Good point. Ignore it, I will. **just watched star wars last night and can't get that damn Yoda speak out of my head**
Old 09-14-2008, 04:40 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell

You have my permission to smack the **** out of me if I act holier than thou toward the DE crowd after my CR transition next month.
Don't worry... If you're like most of us, you'll be very humble after your first race
Old 09-14-2008, 04:44 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi
Don't worry... If you're like most of us, you'll be very humble after your first race
Yup.

And my 2nd race.

And 3rd.

And......

Quick Reply: Incident at Road America - Please Comment