Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 07:38 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The best thing about the tower at Road America is that Carson, the track manager, has video recorders that cover pretty much the entire track. I've witnessed first hand how quickly a story can change when a driver who does not know this, figures it out.

As I said before pretty much from the Sargento Bridge (4) to turn 5 cars are all over the track following their 'line'. It allows for lots of issues going into turn 5. From what I've seen I still don't see anything that Cupcar99 did wrong.

Since there was a tower talk, any chance you can tell us what the finidings of the stewards were?
Old 09-12-2008, 08:00 PM
Cupcar99
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not certain what the decision of the stewards is yet.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:19 PM
Cupcar99
8th Gear

There may have to be some cash thrown in...
Old 09-12-2008, 08:45 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,681 Likes on 869 Posts

Originally Posted by Cupcar99
Additional information: while sitting at the black flag station, the driver of the other car approached my car and said (yelled): "How the fxxx do you tag someone on a straightaway?" The conversation did not get prettier from there. The video of this dialogue is amusing to me now (but not at the time). At the tower (some 60 minutes later), the other driver saw my video and then claimed: 1) he did not see me on the straight and 2) I overslowed my car in T5 (implying he could not avoid me, I suppose). Had he hit me in the LR, I might conclude that he tried diving under me and made a mistake coming out of T5. The pics show that he hit me (hard) right in the mufflers. In my view, he mistakenly came over on me in the straight leading into T5 when we were both committed to full throttle and going roughly 150 mph. He assumed that I hit him. The red mist got to him and he intentionally punted me off track with everything he had. I was at full throttle past the apex at the point of contact.

Wow.

And this guy is alleged to be #3 in the standings for IMSA GT3 Cup? I guess he got there by using the chrome horn a lot.

Sorry this happened, bro. It's pretty funny when your own video catches some asswipe mouthing off at you, then deny he even knew what happened when confronted by your race vid.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:20 PM
PatK-Mpls
Instructor

I will say that I have raced close with Galen on many occasions-he has always raced hard, close and fair.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:44 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I really think he lost you in his mirrors, just a racing incident at that point................
Old 09-13-2008, 01:08 AM
Cupcar99
8th Gear

I believe he did not see me coming up on his inside on the straight. Contact there was quite scary at that speed and it makes no sense that it was intentional at that point. However, he had to know I was around him after "going defensive" on the front straight and then again on the straight heading into T5. That said, I believe he intentionally punted me off the track in T5 thinking that I hit him on the straight. Racing incidents happen. I am not an angel. I have had two 13s in the last 4 years for 1) late braking and 2) making an assumption the other car saw me. Nonetheless, I have never hit anyone on purpose. I never will. That is for the pros.
Old 09-13-2008, 02:23 AM
SG_M3
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

how do you get a 13 for late braking? Is like getting a 13 for missing a shift?
Old 09-13-2008, 08:36 AM
Cupcar99
8th Gear

Originally Posted by SG_M3
how do you get a 13 for late braking? Is like getting a 13 for missing a shift?

Late breaking 13: T7 at Sebring on the inside. I could not hold the apex and made contact with a car on the outside. My fault for coming in a little too fast.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:15 AM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cupcar99
Late breaking 13: T7 at Sebring on the inside. I could not hold the apex and made contact with a car on the outside. My fault for coming in a little too fast.
That's not late braking, it's braking too late!

As for the incident at the apex, hopefully the stewarts have either 169's video or video from one of us that were directly behind you. I still contend that the most likely situation was that he was unable to slow enough to stay out of the back of you. I would never accuse another driver of more than that without more video.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:18 AM
230ERACER
Rennlist Member

Default Saw it from the sidelines

I was sitting in turn 5 when it all happened. The 169 car flat punted the yellow 99 car......at the time I saw it all happening you could see that the 169 guy had nothing but red mist in his eyes. If your telling me the stewards can't figure out who gets the 13 here is a bunch of ****....169 punted 99, 169 gets the 13 done deal!
Old 09-13-2008, 11:22 AM
230ERACER
Rennlist Member

Default I forgot

And by the way....when the punt happened the 169 continued to throttle hard until he turned 99 completly sideways, I heard it all! agin 169 gets the 13 and I don't know him but it looked like to me he was a complete ***.....
Old 09-13-2008, 11:34 AM
}{arlequin
Pro

Originally Posted by LVDell
Some of y'all that CR and look down on the DE are a bunch of ******** with your arrogance. Everybody is out there for the same reason....to have fun and explore their limits (hopefully safely). Sure it's not the same thing but last time I checked I have seen point-bys in racing. The day you have a sponsor, draw a salary doing this as your living, and win the substantial portion of a purse, you are doing nothing more than open passing DE that publishes results.

Arguing with some of y'all is pointless. So explain to me again how taking yourself out or being taken out of a race on lap 2 of 34 is better than letting your competitors catch up for another lap while you pick the best spot to pass and keep mister aggressive from having a chance to punt you??? Aren't they going to have to go through the same crap?

Time to unsubscribe from this thread as it seems nobody will be able to see a point of view other than how they see it to be.
wow, that's some colorfully opinionated language right there

i think what we are saying is that when you have a chance for a pass, you don't wait for another one, it may not come, so you take it whenever you can. what you DON"T expect is for a retaliatory bump from the rear once the pass has already taken place. that's just plainly vindictive and completely against the spirit of cr. it's one thing to lose it in a battle and have contact, it's another to intentionally tap someone once you are beaten. wtf is that, wwf??
Old 09-13-2008, 11:41 AM
Turbo Stan
Advanced

Going down the straight, the only reason 169 would have pulled to the left would be a block. If he was doing a block he would have known the other car was there and since the other car wasn't in his rearview, it wouldn't take a genius to figure out the 99 was on his side. The contact on the straight was caused either on purpose or out of carelessness. Either way, 169 should have been 13'd for that alone. Same goes for T5.

If you don't have the situational awareness to know where other driver's are on the track you should go back to intermediate solo where you belong.

Were there any pictures of the 99 car's right side?
Old 09-13-2008, 12:41 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even better and further strengthens the point of why incidents happen on lap 2 of an enduro.

And therein lies the problem. There's a difference (albeit small) between sprint pace and enduro pace and these incidents could be avoided.

So I placed 6th but you finished one lap with a damaged car. Who's the smart one now?

You are 100% misinterpreting my point. I am not saying that you are SLOWER. And WTF is it with you guys looking down on the DE crowd. What exactly is DE pace? They are 2 different things yet the awards and prize money are the same....ZILCH! So explain to me again what you are "racing" for.

All I am saying is that in a race length of 35 laps (versus the 9 lap sprint) to press the issue on lap 1 or 2 is stupid. It is clear that it is going to happen MUCH easier in the next lap or two anyway.

Some of y'all that CR and look down on the DE are a bunch of ******** with your arrogance. Everybody is out there for the same reason....to have fun and explore their limits (hopefully safely). Sure it's not the same thing but last time I checked I have seen point-bys in racing. The day you have a sponsor, draw a salary doing this as your living, and win the substantial portion of a purse, you are doing nothing more than open passing DE that publishes results.

Arguing with some of y'all is pointless. So explain to me again how taking yourself out or being taken out of a race on lap 2 of 34 is better than letting your competitors catch up for another lap while you pick the best spot to pass and keep mister aggressive from having a chance to punt you??? Aren't they going to have to go through the same crap?

Time to unsubscribe from this thread as it seems nobody will be able to see a point of view other than how they see it to be.
Just some opinions from a "DE douchbag" that is building a race car so he can get beat by as few as posable.

Bold #1. Fercryingoutloud Dell, have you ever even been to a Club Race? Even the first race baby seals and non racing volunteers have a better grasp of amateur competition IMO. It is far more than DE with time sheets. 6th = 5th loser to a competitor monetary payoff or not. While you are biding your time behind a not in class car your in class competition is running further away or making time back on you. When in class times are often seconds or fraction of seconds apart the hold time might mean an insurmountable time distance delta to make up even in a 30+ lap race. **** happens. There is a difference between laying down and reckless abandon.

Bold #2. I teach my kids not to throw toys and pout. I also teach them to listen and learn from people that have experience.

Last edited by kurt M; 09-14-2008 at 09:25 AM.

Quick Reply: Incident at Road America - Please Comment