Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 06:30 PM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PCA could also run more groups so there aren't such great differences in speed on the track at the same time. however it would cut in to the amount of track time.

As for Charlie's video, I'm assuming that Bob is in the first White 964(?) not #50. To me that first turn that is played his bumper is just about even with the rear tire of the 944 at best. Not what I would consider an ideal pass by not being even close to side by side with the car until he's already bombed through the dirt. While the 944 wasn't doing his best at giving lots of room I would have to say that the 964 wasn't being smart by forcing the issue that much either. Charlie seems to have had the same issue a couple of turns later but didn't seem to push the issue with the same vigor. Also I'm gonna guess that those two 944's were in the same class and because of what the group of 911's did it gave the front guy a nice little boost of his lead over the second one. That's just what I'm seeing in that clip.
Old 05-05-2007, 06:38 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Here's one example from last weekend that I know upset Bob. How do I know that? You can see him waving his appreciation mid-turn...

Lime Rock Lapped Traffic example
To me it looked like Mr. S. was barely up to the rear quarter of that car when the 944 went into the corner (which, correct me if i'm wrong, was his right to do?) and he forced a pass that well could have *Edited* caused a problem with a rookie driver not knowing he was there, as obviously that 944 had no clue.

Maybe i'm looking at it the wrong way..

Last edited by Gary R.; 05-06-2007 at 02:27 AM.
Old 05-05-2007, 07:05 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cooleyjb
Charlie seems to have had the same issue a couple of turns later but didn't seem to push the issue with the same vigor.
Correct, I didn't push. Some might call it bad racecraft. Some might call it good racecraft. I call it valuing my (and my competitor's) fenders!
Old 05-05-2007, 07:52 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
To me it looked like Mr. S. was barely up to the rear quarter of that car when the 944 went into the corner
Yeah it looked that way, but it is hard to see from the video if Bob could have backed off some, or was at the limit of braking and was unable to do anything else. We also don't know whether or not the 944 checked up some and surprised Bob. Agreed that it was not a good situation.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 05-05-2007, 08:01 PM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Correct, I didn't push. Some might call it bad racecraft. Some might call it good racecraft. I call it valuing my (and my competitor's) fenders!

I can very much understand valuing fenders (and all the go-fast stickers).
Old 05-05-2007, 09:34 PM
carreracup21
Three Wheelin'

I guess I must have been to polite, cause if it was me in the 944, I give him the inside and don't think twice about it. Who cares whether he is up to my door or whatever, it's just courtesy, let the man through !! I never got slowed down much running the outside, and won just about every race I was in, so WTF.
Old 05-05-2007, 09:53 PM
carreracup21
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Jupe
Jupe, you did the right thing, it was clear the 944 wasn't in the game so there is nothing to do but wait for the straight. Bob went for it figuring he'd get the nod and was obviously under some heat to get it done I still say the 944 could have made things a lot easier for both of you if he had more experience and confidence to take any line he wanted.
Old 05-05-2007, 09:54 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by carreracup21
I guess I must have been to polite, cause if it was me in the 944, I give him the inside and don't think twice about it. Who cares whether he is up to my door or whatever, it's just courtesy, let the man through !! I never got slowed down much running the outside, and won just about every race I was in, so WTF.
Dont make me pull out the WG video from last year Bill. You can shut the door with the best of 'em
Old 05-05-2007, 09:55 PM
carreracup21
Three Wheelin'

My one regret is never winning the big one up there at WG ( sprint), but I'm still young !! Obviously, fighting for position on the last lap is different and I guess I didn't close it hard enough on Trombly !!
BTW, if you had held your ground on fast left, rather than backing off, I would have left a lane for you and then just raced for the inside of the final corner. Once I saw you lift, I just took it. It was good racing and I had a blast running with you Colin. Maybe we'll do it again sometime !! 964 Cups are the sh*t, aren't they !!

Last edited by carreracup21; 05-05-2007 at 10:28 PM.
Old 05-06-2007, 01:59 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Yeah it looked that way, but it is hard to see from the video if Bob could have backed off some, or was at the limit of braking and was unable to do anything else. We also don't know whether or not the 944 checked up some and surprised Bob. Agreed that it was not a good situation.
I did notice a big blue X on the rear of the 944. The thing I think all you veterans have to remember is this is a club and 90% of us are just trying to have fun. I know for a fact there is a "push" on to get more people into Club Racing, which means MORE newbies that are "clueless" out there. I really think some need to take a step back and remember why you started doing this and what it was like when you started out. The "X" isn't there to signify EXPERT, it's to tell you the guy in that car may just be scared sh$%less and totally overwhelmed because just maybe it's the 1st time he has been in this situation. The right thing to do would be to take your video afterwards and sit down with the guy and show him what he SHOULD have done rather than tell him what an idiot he is.. just a thought from one of the clueless...
Old 05-06-2007, 08:46 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by carreracup21
My one regret is never winning the big one up there at WG ( sprint), but I'm still young !! Obviously, fighting for position on the last lap is different and I guess I didn't close it hard enough on Trombly !!
BTW, if you had held your ground on fast left, rather than backing off, I would have left a lane for you and then just raced for the inside of the final corner. Once I saw you lift, I just took it. It was good racing and I had a blast running with you Colin. Maybe we'll do it again sometime !! 964 Cups are the sh*t, aren't they !!
That was a great finish...1-2-3 within a second in the last 2 corners. You should buy your old car back and come to GTC1!

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I did notice a big blue X on the rear of the 944. The thing I think all you veterans have to remember is this is a club and 90% of us are just trying to have fun. I know for a fact there is a "push" on to get more people into Club Racing, which means MORE newbies that are "clueless" out there. I really think some need to take a step back and remember why you started doing this and what it was like when you started out. The "X" isn't there to signify EXPERT, it's to tell you the guy in that car may just be scared sh$%less and totally overwhelmed because just maybe it's the 1st time he has been in this situation. The right thing to do would be to take your video afterwards and sit down with the guy and show him what he SHOULD have done rather than tell him what an idiot he is.. just a thought from one of the clueless...
Gary make s a good point. We should all be helping others to learn, and this thread helps in that respect.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:49 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Here's one example from last weekend that I know upset Bob. How do I know that? You can see him waving his appreciation mid-turn...

Lime Rock Lapped Traffic example

Let me see if I understand this:

Bob comes up on a rookie racer, doesn't get quite along side him under braking (in other words, under commonly accepted club racing decorum, the 944 continues to own the corner), yet jumps the apex curb and forces the 944 wide as if he (Bob) is entitled to the corner, then has the gall to actually give the rookie 944 driver the finger?

And yet Bob denies having the mindset that seems to be at play with his thinly veiled threat of of "But Since I might be in a hurry How easy he survives the corner depends on his consideration of the passing car".

Wow.

Actions surely speak louder than words, Bob.

Charlie, nice driving on your part.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:48 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Oh, and I forgot to add: even though the 944 appears to be racing with the 944 directly ahead, some of you actually think he should have moved way offline, and sacrificed his own race, just because God Himself, in the form of Bob, was coming up?

Incredible.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:54 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bad weekend, Dave?
Old 05-07-2007, 10:57 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Not at all. I just see a big disconnect here.

Quick Reply: track etiquette for lapped drivers