Where are all the Alonso detractors

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 09:57 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Eurosport - Mon, 10 Dec 13:18:00 2007

Fernando Alonso will return to Renault in 2008 - the team for whom he won two Formula One world titles. He will be partnered by Nelson Piquet Jr.
Paging Mr. Wayne....Mr. A.Wayne....
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:51 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Paging Mr. Wayne....Mr. A.Wayne....
I think he fainted from joy and hasn't recovered yet.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:54 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Ahh good times!! Wonder if they'll get the old sponsor back and paint the cars blue again..
Old 12-10-2007, 11:57 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So just to get the fire going, what will the nay-sayers say if Alonso/Renault runs in front of Mac and has some real battles with Ferrari?
Old 12-10-2007, 11:59 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mitch236
So just to get the fire going, what will the nay-sayers say if Alonso/Renault runs in front of Mac and has some real battles with Ferrari?
I think that the answer would be obvious.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:07 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

A Wayne will never let anyone hear the end of it. Wait till that thread gets started. Oughta be a doosie.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:18 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I am very happy to see him back at Renault.
Can't wait for the next season to begin.
Raj
Old 12-10-2007, 12:40 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,263 Likes on 1,926 Posts

To dream, the impossible dream....

Did anyone check Alonso's pockets before he left the McLaren factory?
Old 12-10-2007, 12:49 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Default Q & A with Fernando Alonso

www.autosport.com

Monday, December 10th 2007, 13:25 GMT

(Conducted and provided by the Renault F1 Team press office)

Q: Fernando, you are the new ING Renault F1 Team Driver for 2008. Happy?

Fernando Alonso: "Yes, very. Everybody knows what a great team ING Renault F1 Team is and what they have accomplished in Formula One.

"You can't forget that together, we won the championships back-to-back in 2005 and 2006. I had the chance to be part of this success. It is one of the greatest teams, supported by important companies. A team that knows what it takes to win."

Q: Has it been a long wait? How did you feel the past few weeks while waiting for the decision to be made?

Alonso: "To be honest, the first three weeks of November, I was on a much needed vacation and during which I disconnected from Formula One. The decision to choose a team did not take more than a week, as me and the people close to me were clear about what we wanted."

Q: Why did you choose Renault? How many options did you have?

Alonso: "Options... Well, to tell you the truth, we do know that's not easy. I'm one of the 22 privileged people who get to drive a Formula One car each year.

"And I'm even more privileged to be one of those who can afford leaving one great team and end up in another great team, while there are a lot of drivers who never get the chance to drive a Formula One car.

"The decision hasn't been an easy one to make. I would like to thank all the other teams for their interest to have me work with them. Like I said before, I chose Renault in the end considering their commitment to the sport and because of their strong track record."

Q: Do you realise how much media attention you have drawn?

Alonso: "Not really, because like I said the first three weeks I was on holiday, but as soon as we started to look at our options we realized that all the newspapers and almost every website reported that we had already been in contact with all the teams.

"They were talking about a one-year contract or a three-year contract, even saying that I had been visiting factories, some suggesting I was taking a year off. That's when I realised what was going on and it was fun to read every morning the papers."

Q: But don't you think it's normal for people to be eager to find out where you were going to race or if you'd end up without a drive?

Alonso: "Well, it would have never come to me not having a drive for next season. Sure it was not like I had to choose between a grey pair of trousers and a black one. We are talking about a very important decision and since I could not get back at the wheel of a car until January or February, there was no rush.

"I understand why people were so eager. The fans have always been the ones to support me. I still remember how much people have been there for me this year and how much it touched me. Maybe I never saw what they really were told, because there was some sort of competition between the newspapers as to which one of them would print the news first. Too much has been invented."

Q: What grade would you give your past season with McLaren?

Alonso: "It's not easy to sum up a season with just a grade or a number. What is certain is that 2007 has been a very good year for me in spite of what people think.

"I don't like that people forget that 20 laps before the race lap in Brazil I still could have won the world championship. Then, Kimi overtook Massa and Kimi, with this victory, scored the number of points he needed to be World Champion.

"When you take this into account, at the start of the season I would have put my signature for being able to fight till the last laps of the season, for a new world title, I would have been more than happy."

Q: What will happen next season?

Alonso: "This is a question we all ask and I believe nobody can answer for certain. You know that teams like Ferrari will always be favourites. Also, the teams who have had problems adjusting to the Bridgestone tyres will hopefully have solved their problems and will be back at the top.

"Maybe Renault can be part of the top teams again this season. Today's challenge is for Renault to go back to the top of the sheet already in January or February and then come closer to the podiums next season. They have suffered more than enough this year."

Q: Will you fight again for the world title next season?

Alonso: "We will see what can be done... We shouldn't put the cart before the horse. The first thing to do is to put the R28 on track in January and then start working thoroughly in order to get to the first Grand Prix of the season with the best car possible.

"I had to rise to the same challenge last year during the winter season and I am confident that this can happen again. After that, I will have to have a perfect season and hope for the others not to be too quick."
Old 12-10-2007, 12:55 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

What will they say if Nelson out runs Fernado?
Old 12-10-2007, 01:01 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
What will they say if Nelson out runs Fernado?
Having wet dreams again buddy ......

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
I am very happy to see him back at Renault.
Can't wait for the next season to begin.
Raj

Originally Posted by paradisenb
A Wayne will never let anyone hear the end of it. Wait till that thread gets started. Oughta be a doosie.

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Ahhh , you are happy he won't be with ferrari to smoke Kimi's **** .. that will happen in 09........
Old 12-10-2007, 01:06 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Ok, here's the deal , Ron keeps the baby and Dela Rosa, I will keep the two putz's we already have, You get Fernando for 1 yr , then hand him over in 09.......
Attached Images  
Old 12-10-2007, 01:06 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Having wet dreams again buddy ......

Ahhh , you are happy he won't be with ferrari to smoke Kimi's **** .. that will happen in 09........
I think Kimi knows better and he will retire by then, LOL.
Raj
Old 12-10-2007, 01:20 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

A.Wayne, based on observant logic, IF Alonso has a chance to go to Ferrari in 09, it will be based upon Kimi's performance. If Kimi repeats and wants to keep racing, then logically Alonso has no chance. Kimi is speed without the drama. If he falters, then there is always that possibility.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:33 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,263 Likes on 1,926 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
A.Wayne, based on observant logic, IF Alonso has a chance to go to Ferrari in 09, it will be based upon Kimi's performance. If Kimi repeats and wants to keep racing, then logically Alonso has no chance. Kimi is speed without the drama. If he falters, then there is always that possibility.
+1. I said that a couple months ago. It's Kimi's seat, backed by Luca. Alonso is Luca's hedge bet in the event Kimi goes or wants to break the bank in re-negotiations. Massa is the new Rubens.

Quick Reply: Where are all the Alonso detractors