Sponsored by:

Formula 1 - 2024 Season

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2024, 03:29 PM
Nowanker
Burning Brakes

Location: Formerly the DPRK, now seeking political asylum in Oregon
Received 548 Likes on 331 Posts

Still haven't found any video of Alonso's moves, so can't judge for myself.
There's a line where it's cunning defense, but just the other side of that line is brake-checking your competition into a crash.

The following users liked this post:
thebishman (03-24-2024)
Old 03-24-2024, 03:34 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,366 Likes on 1,993 Posts

Ferrari were supposed to introduce an upgrade for Imola next month but sources are now saying that they will bring them to Japan in 2 weeks time. Perhaps they are feeling the car could perhaps hang close with RB and this season won't be a runaway like last year and they're throwing everything they can early to see what happens?
Old 03-24-2024, 04:16 PM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,823 Likes on 912 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowanker
Still haven't found any video of Alonso's moves, so can't judge for myself.
There's a line where it's cunning defense, but just the other side of that line is brake-checking your competition into a crash.
Allegedly the telemetry shows he slowed and hit the brakes 100m earlier than any other lap he completed previously, going into turn 6. I'm guessing if his maneuver was successful in simply backing Russell up with no crash, there would not have been a penalty.

Last edited by Ksdaoski; 03-24-2024 at 04:18 PM.
Old 03-24-2024, 04:22 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 289 Posts

Without seeing the alleged cause of the incident myself, If I were AM I'd appeal. The stewards basically said the braking was imperceptable ("the amount of brake was so slight that it was not the main reason for his car slowing"), which tells me that Alonso did not slow suddenly. It screams "racecraft" to me by one who has seen/done virtually everything.

Truthfully, apart from the Ferrari one-two and Sainz's Superman act (seriously ) I thought Saudi Arabia was more interesting with more close racing throughout the field than I saw here (maybe they just didn't show it if it existed, laptime-wise it seemed more spread-out here). Still great to see Ferrari (or anybody else for that matter) run away with a race like Max usually does.

Last edited by gbuff; 03-24-2024 at 04:25 PM.
Old 03-24-2024, 05:29 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,517 Likes on 1,588 Posts

Alonso did all sorts of usual cr@p going into that corner. He lifted way early, downshifted early then accelerated again, upshifted and then slowed again to make the corner. Alonso even admitted to the stewards that he screwed up what he was trying to do. Considering how fast the corners are at this circuit a 20 second penalty was more than justified IMHO.
Ksdaoski (03-24-2024)
Old 03-24-2024, 05:43 PM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Around half a second lead for multiple laps

Lead evaporated and then the crash occurred
Old 03-24-2024, 05:57 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,366 Likes on 1,993 Posts

Originally Posted by Ksdaoski
I'm guessing if his maneuver was successful in simply backing Russell up with no crash, there would not have been a penalty.
Although in their decision, the stewards said that the crash had nothing to do with their issuing a penalty, I agree with you that if George simply straight lines that corner, there is no penalty. Also, if there is asphalt and not gravel, George doesn't get sideways. The aftermath looked much worse than the impact.
Old 03-24-2024, 06:41 PM
goin2drt
Banned

Received 744 Likes on 403 Posts

My take without looking at any telemetry, slow-mo etc is it was just another RUS “go for broke” on the last lap that he is becoming famous for. Great race and wife being a Sainz fan he gets driver of the year not just the day. Anyone that has had an appendix out would agree his accomplishment today was nothing sort of spectacular. Love all the fun after the race with all the guys saying they are going to get their appendix out.

I think Ferrari made a huge mistake. Also think that rumor they talked about during the race of ALO taking HAM MBZ seat over taking Sainz is stupid. It would be awesome if Sainz could get Perez seat but also think that would be bad chemistry because Sainz wants to win and be the first driver not VER’s b$tch.
Old 03-24-2024, 08:47 PM
Nowanker
Burning Brakes

Still think they should pair Alonso with Little Maxi next season.
I think The Boy might learn a few things from the old fart.... It would make an interesting team.
Rig.Stunts (03-27-2024)
Old 03-24-2024, 09:17 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 421 Likes on 245 Posts

Alonso more than anyone of us knows that the worse thing that can happen to an F1 car is too lose the front downforce, especially at speed because then you’re a passenger. That’s what Alonso deliberately did to Russell and it was an incredibly dangerous and reckless maneuver. Russell could have been seriously injured or worse if a following car at speed had missed the double yellow flags and ploughed into the cockpit of the Merc with the driver exposed since the car was on its side.

It is highly unlikely that Russell was going to be able to pass Alonso given the latter’s experience, but what would have been the consequence of it if Russell had? Just a couple of points less for Alonso. Instead Alonso carried out a disgraceful act of ‘tradecraft’ that could have caused a fellow driver serious injury or death. Alonso getting a 20 second penalty is outrageous; he should have been DQ’d.
Ksdaoski (03-25-2024)
Old 03-25-2024, 11:35 AM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

I just rewatched the section right before and after the crash. Alonso immediately started complaining about the engine as if it cut out. And then he spent the remaining two laps talking to his engineer about engine problems. They had concerns that he may not be able to make it back to the pits. At the very least I'm expecting they'll use that information in the appeal.
Old 03-25-2024, 11:41 AM
Nowanker
Burning Brakes

I just rewatched the section right before and after the crash. Alonso immediately started complaining about the engine as if it cut out. And then he spent the remaining two laps talking to his engineer about engine problems. They had concerns that he may not be able to make it back to the pits. At the very least I'm expecting they'll use that information in the appeal.
Or maybe that crafty Alonso was trying to cover his *** after causing a crash. Not saying that was what was going on, but not saying it wasn't either.
The FIA has the throttle traces and brake data...
thebishman (03-25-2024)
Old 03-25-2024, 12:02 PM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nowanker
Or maybe that crafty Alonso was trying to cover his *** after causing a crash. Not saying that was what was going on, but not saying it wasn't either.
The FIA has the throttle traces and brake data...
Because Lance was bounced up it ended up costing the team two points and Alonso four points. Would have been a lot worse had Lance not been right there. Who would have thought that!?
Old 03-25-2024, 12:08 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

A lot of controversy on X etc., about Alonso's penalty. Very hard to judge accurately from what we know, but I am going to go with the assumption that the stewards (who see a lot more data than is publicly available) used all that data to come up with the conclusion. Not sure how solid an assumption that is these days, but there is not much more aside from speculation to go by.
Old 03-25-2024, 12:14 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 421 Likes on 245 Posts

Alonso’s ‘story’ changed multiple times, although the Stewards and Mercedes note nothing wrong with the engine:

https://www.espn.com/racing/story/_/...rcedes-chances

Quick Reply: Formula 1 - 2024 Season