Sponsored by:

Formula 1 - 2024 Season

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2024, 12:26 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,474 Likes on 2,070 Posts

Defending by slowing down into corners to get a launch out of that corner.

Old 03-25-2024, 01:18 PM
GT3_Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 44 Posts

What a Glorious sound!!!!
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (03-25-2024)
Old 03-25-2024, 01:22 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,306 Likes on 1,878 Posts

Originally Posted by multi21
Defending by slowing down into corners to get a launch out of that corner.
And to break the momentum of the following driver. A sad but commonly practiced part of “racecraft.”
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 03-25-2024, 01:40 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,474 Likes on 2,070 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
And to break the momentum of the following driver. A sad but commonly practiced part of “racecraft.”
Why do you say sad? Part of defending against a faster car is using your track position to keep one at bay. If not going for a gap no longer makes you race driver, then isn't not defending and just letting a faster car by the same as no longer being a racing driver?
Old 03-25-2024, 02:07 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

He didn't alter his line, there's no "track position defense" applicable here. The desired path of FA and GW was the same. GW assumed FA would traverse that stretch of road the same way he had every previous lap, until the gap disappeared.

Then, FA basically balked GW at the fastest, most highest commitment part of the corner, the entry. GW, with the car loaded up, suddenly was faced with an impediment, once consciously put there by FA "parking" the car at the entry.

Substitute this a thousand different series and in many different levels and subtleties. It's not racing as well as you can, it's #u%k!ng your competitor. It's chicken****. If I were GW, I would have used FA as a braking aid...

https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/a...wards-defence/
The following 4 users liked this post by ProCoach:
Carlo_Carrera (03-25-2024), JTT (03-29-2024), Nowanker (03-25-2024), thebishman (03-26-2024)
Old 03-25-2024, 02:22 PM
goin2drt
Banned

Received 745 Likes on 404 Posts

He didn't alter his line, there's no "track position defense" applicable here. The desired path of FA and GW was the same. GW assumed FA would traverse that stretch of road the same way he had every previous lap, until the gap disappeared.

Then, FA basically balked GW at the fastest, most highest commitment part of the corner, the entry. GW, with the car loaded up, suddenly was faced with an impediment, once consciously put there by FA "parking" the car at the entry.

Substitute this a thousand different series and in many different levels and subtleties. It's not racing as well as you can, it's #u%k!ng your competitor. It's chicken****. If I were GW, I would have used FA as a braking aid...

https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/a...wards-defence/
There is that "assume" word again. You know that just makes GR an a$$. (not sure who GW is)
Old 03-25-2024, 02:28 PM
Nowanker
Burning Brakes

Location: Formerly the DPRK, now seeking political asylum in Oregon
Received 589 Likes on 355 Posts

It's not racing as well as you can, it's #u%k!ng your competitor. It's chicken****. If I were GW, I would have used FA as a braking aid...
I would have 'liked' that part twice....
Old 03-25-2024, 02:28 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

You have a point. (Sorry, I typed GW instead of GR).

Drivers do this all the time. They just usually don't put other drivers in danger when they do it.
The following 3 users liked this post by ProCoach:
GT3_Driver (03-25-2024), LuigiVampa (03-26-2024), thebishman (03-26-2024)
Old 03-25-2024, 02:30 PM
ELange0322
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 132 Posts

See, I wouldnt have called "sad" but rather using the tools (as well as the contour of the track) you have at your disposal. I actually think the real issue is that George wasnt closer when Alonso did this. That would have forced George to be more expecting that Alonso wouldnt be going flat out and already being constrained in pace by the pace of the Alonso car. What caught George out was that it was too unexpected and thought that he would be running into the back of Alonso. FWIW, I think it was 2 years ago also at this track that Sainz had an off thru the turn 9-10 complex as he was chasing Magnussen. Sainz's off was because if he didnt stay left for the right at 10, he would have run right into the back of Magnussen. It wasnt that Sainz "lost it". It was the differential in pace in a very fast place that he wasnt expecting. Had that also been thru a slower corner, then Sainz's pace also would have been constrained already by Magnussen. I see them as the same, but here that Alonso did on purpose (because he needed to as otherwise would have been caught in the long left hand sweeper on Lakeside Drive which is a DRS zone. Just my 2 cents...
LuigiVampa (03-26-2024)
Old 03-25-2024, 02:33 PM
ELange0322
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 132 Posts

You have a point. (Sorry, I typed GW instead of GR).

Drivers do this all the time. They just usually don't put other drivers in danger when they do it.
Bingo. Its the risk of doing this in this area that was the issue.

Change venue to Spa. Maybe do this into La Source. Never do it thru Eau Rouge.
The following 2 users liked this post by ELange0322:
Carlo_Carrera (03-25-2024), ProCoach (03-25-2024)
Old 03-25-2024, 02:37 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ELange0322
What caught George out was that it was too unexpected and thought that he would be running into the back of Alonso.

It wasnt that Sainz "lost it". It was the differential in pace in a very fast place that he wasnt expecting.

I see them as the same, but here that Alonso did on purpose (because he needed to as otherwise would have been caught in the long left hand sweeper on Lakeside Drive which is a DRS zone. Just my 2 cents...
Yes, violating the trust you have to have with other drivers when driving with little or no margin.

Yes, same thing to me, too.

Yes, the fact that FA did it on purpose, THAT is the problem.

I suppose @goin2drt has a point in the fact that Russell, knowing Nando was a sitting duck in the next DRS zone, did NOT anticipate that this dirty driving tool might be deployed on him.

Look, I have no hard-on for Nando or any of the drivers, but the standards have declined precipitously recently. The drivers BEG the stewards all the time for guidance, otherwise they say that they'll do whatever it takes... I think the latter is wrong.
Old 03-25-2024, 07:30 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 173 Likes on 99 Posts

When does racecraft and end and an offense begin? Doesn't rus have a responsibility to control his car at all times? He has a record of late race crashes from running out of talent. It is race craft for example to fool your opponent by doing something consistently then change it up. While being predictable on track prevents crashes these guys are not time trialing. In some ways a professional miata race where there are bump drafting trains 6 cars deep is displaying more racecraft than F1 cars passing with drs. I don't get treated with the level of respected and consistency that Alonso penalty would imply is demanded. if I'm faster I don't get to just drive around a guy. It's a fight and sometimes it can end up in tears even in the amateurs. The lights on Alonso car were on a few Seconds. Doesn't that mean he is off power? How many more seconds warning does rus deserve? That fews seconds might seem too little like a brake check to me but rus is one of the top racers in the world.
goin2drt (03-25-2024)
Old 03-25-2024, 07:57 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,561 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Quote form the steward's ruling from an article on F1.com. Alonso push the boundaries of "defending" way too far. At the speed they were entering that corner there was no time for Russell to compensate. If Aston appeal they will lose that appeal.

“Russell explained to the stewards that from his perspective, Alonso’s manoeuvre was erratic, took him by surprise and caused him to close distance unusually fast, and with the resulting lower downforce at the apex of the corner, he lost control and crashed at the exit of the corner. There was no contact between the cars.

“Telemetry shows that Alonso lifted slightly more than 100m earlier than he ever had going into that corner during the race. He also braked very slightly at a point that he did not usually brake (although the amount of brake was so slight that it was not the main reason for his car slowing) and he downshifted at a point he never usually downshifted. He then upshifted again, and accelerated to the corner before lifting again to make the corner.

“Alonso explained that while his plan was to slow earlier, he got it slightly wrong and had to take extra steps to get back up to speed. Nonetheless, this manoeuvre created a considerable and unusual closing speed between the cars.

“In considering the matter the stewards focused solely on the wording of the regulation which states: ‘At no time may a car be driven unnecessarily slowly, erratically or in a manner which could be deemed potentially dangerous to other drivers or any other person.’”

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...VcnTQpDFh9FtLr

Last edited by Carlo_Carrera; 03-25-2024 at 08:31 PM.
ProCoach (03-25-2024)
Old 03-25-2024, 08:53 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I didn’t need a stewards ruling to tell me that. I could see it develop as it happened…
The following 2 users liked this post by ProCoach:
Carlo_Carrera (03-25-2024), thebishman (03-26-2024)
Old 03-26-2024, 12:32 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,392 Likes on 1,928 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
Quote form the steward's ruling from an article on F1.com. Alonso push the boundaries of "defending" way too far. At the speed they were entering that corner there was no time for Russell to compensate. If Aston appeal they will lose that appeal.

“Russell explained to the stewards that from his perspective, Alonso’s manoeuvre was erratic, took him by surprise and caused him to close distance unusually fast, and with the resulting lower downforce at the apex of the corner, he lost control and crashed at the exit of the corner. There was no contact between the cars.

“Telemetry shows that Alonso lifted slightly more than 100m earlier than he ever had going into that corner during the race. He also braked very slightly at a point that he did not usually brake (although the amount of brake was so slight that it was not the main reason for his car slowing) and he downshifted at a point he never usually downshifted. He then upshifted again, and accelerated to the corner before lifting again to make the corner.

“Alonso explained that while his plan was to slow earlier, he got it slightly wrong and had to take extra steps to get back up to speed. Nonetheless, this manoeuvre created a considerable and unusual closing speed between the cars.

“In considering the matter the stewards focused solely on the wording of the regulation which states: ‘At no time may a car be driven unnecessarily slowly, erratically or in a manner which could be deemed potentially dangerous to other drivers or any other person.’”

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...VcnTQpDFh9FtLr
The issue is that everyone knows that Alonso is probably one of the smartest drivers ever on the grid when it comes to strategy and this I think he is the only driver who would ever receive a penalty like this. The stewards KNOW he did this on purpose because he is the only one smart enough to do it.

Ask yourself - if any other driver did the same little innocuous moves would you think they did it on purpose or it was just random driving?
The following 4 users liked this post by LuigiVampa:
Crubbert (03-26-2024), goin2drt (03-26-2024), multi21 (03-26-2024), skl (03-26-2024)

Quick Reply: Formula 1 - 2024 Season