Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2024, 02:24 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,561 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowanker
Wow, that's a little aggressive...
But what's more disturbing is that a moderator actually 'liked' that.
There is fine line.

Calling someone "stupid" is not allowed. Saying someone posted a subject that is "stupid" and obviously trolling is allowed. Read the TOS.
Old 05-23-2024, 05:15 PM
Nowanker
Burning Brakes

Location: Formerly the DPRK, now seeking political asylum in Oregon
Received 589 Likes on 355 Posts

Although I think F1's refusal to allow Andretti to join the fun is stupid and short-sighted, I can understand their position Re: Antitrust.
It's a private club, and they're hosting a private party, just like MLB, NFL, etc.
The other partygoers don't want Andretti to come.
Nothing (other than common sense...) is stopping him from throwing his own party. Can't see that it's the US government's business.
Old 05-25-2024, 12:06 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Oscar Piastri is an excellent driver. If he was in a car capable of winning races he would be winning races.

Congratulation to Leclerc for pole.
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (05-25-2024)
Old 05-25-2024, 01:01 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,474 Likes on 2,070 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
Oscar Piastri is an excellent driver. If he was in a car capable of winning races he would be winning races.

Congratulation to Leclerc for pole.
Oscar is as level headed as one can be at his age and with less than 1.5 years in F1, is an excellent qualifier, but seems to drop back a little more than Norris in races. If I had to guess, it's the lack of experience, as compared to Norris, to manage tires in long stints, but he is certainly a future superstar in F1.

Huge opportunity for Ferrari and Leclerc to win his home GP. There will undoubtedly be SC periods and the F pit wall just needs to get their strategy correct to bring home the win. Tomorrow will certainly set the tone for the rest of the season and if Ferrari and McLaren have a real chance to catch Red Bull for the rest of this long season.

Speaking of Red Bull, I have little doubt that Perez has officially lost his seat after today. It's clear the Red Bull is not only not dominant any longer, but they may not be the fastest car on track. Max has had to win both titles by himself the last couple years, but now, more than ever, they need the #2 driver to help with both and Checo is just not bringing it to the table. Yuki has been a stud this year and perhaps should get the nod if it isn't Carlos.

Finally, don't look now, but the Alpines are not only the slowest team any longer, but they're in Q2 and Q3 sessions in the past couple races.
The following 2 users liked this post by multi21:
Carlo_Carrera (05-25-2024), ProCoach (05-25-2024)
Old 05-25-2024, 04:02 PM
Nowanker
Burning Brakes

Location: Formerly the DPRK, now seeking political asylum in Oregon
Received 589 Likes on 355 Posts

Refreshing to see a mixup at the front of the grid.
Should be an interesting start to the parade.
LeClerc needs a clean getaway, and maybe the Ferrari 'Magic 8 Ball' strategy will get it right this time.
How in Hell does Perez keep his job?!
thebishman (05-26-2024)
Old 05-25-2024, 04:27 PM
ParadiseGT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 977 Likes on 540 Posts

Oscar is the man, appreciate his unflappable, robotic demeanor to be contrasted with so many of his contemporaries.

Checo is now a liability. Again, they'd be crazy not to bring in Carlos under the circumstances.

Are we not talking about the fact that from almost the moment Newey was reassigned to the hypercar, and excluded from technical meetings, the car has been fallible?... Beginning with that weekend in Miami and ever since.

Awfully quiet on the Merc driver announcement front, Toto keeping the line open for that call
Old 05-25-2024, 05:26 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ParadiseGT3
.....Are we not talking about the fact that from almost the moment Newey was reassigned to the hypercar, and excluded from technical meetings, the car has been fallible?... Beginning with that weekend in Miami and ever since...
I am not sure that reporting is accurate. In Monaco Newey was on the pit wall with team like he always is.
ProCoach (05-25-2024)
Old 05-25-2024, 06:08 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 106 Posts

We’ll see if Ferrari screws this up. If Piastri gets the jump on the start, Ferrari won’t know what to do to get Leclerc back out in front. They’ll try to undercut him and then get stuck behind Ocon or someone and lose all sorts of lap time.

Maybe the talks have already happened and Sainz is taking Perez’s place. Dead man walking. That might account for his last two pathetic quali sessions.

Good to see those Alpines back in the mix.

Yuki sure has been handing it to Ricky Ricciardo. Maybe his time is up too. I saw Lawson on the sidelines….
Old 05-25-2024, 06:19 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Are we not talking about the fact that from almost the moment Newey was reassigned to the hypercar, and excluded from technical meetings, the car has been fallible?... Beginning with that weekend in Miami and ever since.
It really does seem like that is more than a coincidence. Just like 2021 when the last formula was in the final year of the rule set, perhaps we don't see a Red Bull driver and constructor title in 2025...

Originally Posted by StoogeMoe
Yuki sure has been handing it to Ricky Ricciardo. Maybe his time is up too. I saw Lawson on the sidelines….
If RIC doesn't show material improvement by summer break, Red Bull have to cut their losses and go with Lawson. He's just rotting on the sideline when he should be in a car getting experience... and this is coming from a Daniel fan.
ProCoach (05-25-2024)
Old 05-25-2024, 08:14 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,889 Likes on 973 Posts

Fun to see the grid mixed up. It'll be interesting to see what shakes out by the checkered flag.

Watching those cars bend the front wheel around Piscine never gets old and reinforces just how good these guys are.

Originally Posted by multi21
It really does seem like that is more than a coincidence. Just like 2021 when the last formula was in the final year of the rule set, perhaps we don't see a Red Bull driver and constructor title in 2025...
I suspect that whatever's going has to be more than just Newey. I'm hard pressed to believe that RB isn’t chock full of talented engineers. Clearly other teams are closing the gap, but Monaco was never going to favor the Red Bulls.

Last edited by Nizer; 05-26-2024 at 12:08 AM.
Old 05-25-2024, 08:39 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

^^^ but that exactly it, the last 3 races were at very different tracks/street courses and the Red Bull doesn't seem comfortable at any of them. In 2023 the Red Bull would be competitive on every track sans Singapore, now it's operating window/set up is much more narrow. Were it not for the sheer brilliance of Max, who knows where they would be as a team. Canada is next on the schedule. If they don't look good there or Spain afterwards, it could get very spicy.
Old 05-25-2024, 08:44 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

This how the new rules of restricting the top team's car development were supposed to work.

If it is happening I am glad.
Old 05-25-2024, 09:07 PM
ParadiseGT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 977 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
I am not sure that reporting is accurate. In Monaco Newey was on the pit wall with team like he always is.
It's accurate. Not worth tracking down the article, but Vache was being interviewed and explained how it's standard protocol for him being excluded from the technical meetings, the ongoing design & development of the car. Newey no exception.

Since the Newey announcement was on 5/1, they knew in advance, have to assume he hasn't been involved on the development of the car for well over a month.
Old 05-25-2024, 09:45 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

It's accurate. Not worth tracking down the article, but Vache was being interviewed and explained how it's standard protocol for him being excluded from the technical meetings, the ongoing design & development of the car. Newey no exception.

Since the Newey announcement was on 5/1, they knew in advance, have to assume he hasn't been involved on the development of the car for well over a month.
I still do not think the reporting is accurate.

On a race weekend all the engineers in all departments are constantly talking about how to setup and develop the car to make it better there and now and in the future. If Newey is still going to races and on the pit wall he would be involved in those discussion and thus privy to technical discussion of what will be happening in the future.

What is being reported is not correct.
Old 05-25-2024, 09:59 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

This is the only Vache interview I can find. He doesn't mention anything Newey's current gardening leave.

https://athletistic.com/formula-1/580014.html

Quick Reply: Formula 1 - 2024 Season