Sponsored by:

Formula 1 - 2024 Season

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2023, 11:05 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,517 Likes on 1,588 Posts

This interview was discussed earlier but I thought maybe the video might offer a bit more detail/context.

The following users liked this post:
dan212 (12-31-2023)
Old 12-30-2023, 12:43 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,366 Likes on 1,993 Posts

Originally Posted by gbuff
He was wearing a helmet too, though I've read that the camera mount he had on it (or the camera itself) caused the damage. Still a travesty.
That's what I had read years ago as well. The accident was a freak fall coupled with bad landing location on the helmet.
Old 01-03-2024, 12:21 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,102 Likes on 1,837 Posts

We have to listen to Danica's stupid commentary at seven races in 2024. I don't care about her "controversial comments." I just don't think she adds much to any broadcast.

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/10...sial-comments/
The following 2 users liked this post by LuigiVampa:
Coochas (01-03-2024), thebishman (01-04-2024)
Old 01-03-2024, 12:34 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Agree, I'm still waiting for the first "aha" moment of her broadcasting career. SKY doesn't need yet another driver's perspective and a driver who never drove in F1. Give me Bernie Collins' insight from a strategy point of view any day to balance out all the former drivers on SKY. The last race Bernie commentated was brilliant.
Old 01-03-2024, 12:54 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 942 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by multi21
Agree, I'm still waiting for the first "aha" moment of her broadcasting career. SKY doesn't need yet another driver's perspective and a driver who never drove in F1. Give me Bernie Collins' insight from a strategy point of view any day to balance out all the former drivers on SKY. The last race Bernie commentated was brilliant.

Her comments are spot on, and usually I don't have issues with listening to foreign, or British accents, but I have a hell of a time understanding her on the broadcasts and I really try to listen...
The following users liked this post:
Nowanker (01-03-2024)
Old 01-03-2024, 01:36 PM
Nowanker
Burning Brakes

Location: Formerly the DPRK, now seeking political asylum in Oregon
Received 548 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by skl
Her comments are spot on, and usually I don't have issues with listening to foreign, or British accents, but I have a hell of a time understanding her on the broadcasts and I really try to listen...
I live for her insight. It's the antidote to Croft's ignorance.
Just wish I could understand more of it through her accent!
Old 01-03-2024, 02:07 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,517 Likes on 1,588 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
We have to listen to Danica's stupid commentary at seven races in 2024. I don't care about her "controversial comments." I just don't think she adds much to any broadcast.

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/10...sial-comments/
Lol, I was going to post this to bust your chops but you beat me to it.

I never watch the pre/post-race coverage so I have never heard Danica, luck me I guess.

I have to admit though I do think she is kinda hot.
Old 01-03-2024, 02:16 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Hopefully she’ll hire a wardrobe coach instead of looking like a scarecrow on television 🙄
To her benefit , she did drive cars in multiple series contrary to Naomi Schiff who drove karts and spent a season in a women’s race series …
Old 01-03-2024, 02:41 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Naomi Shiff is another one with absolutely nothing to contribute. Bernie has gotten better from the start of the 2023 F1 season to the end. She was very soft spoken, initially, and when coupled with her heavy Irish accent, I found myself literally leaning in toward the TV to understand what she was saying. Ultimately closed caption solved this issue.

I can't remember which was her last race broadcast, but Martin Brundle was no where to be found and she and Danika had to make it up on the fly on the pre-race as Bernie free styled with info on what teams were actually doing from the garage to the grid with regard to tire blanket temps, ratios, and other things they normally don't do the rest of the weekend. I found it fascinating as no one before had ever revealed these small details.
Old 01-03-2024, 02:59 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 888 Likes on 435 Posts

Bernie is the best and I have no issues understanding her. I have to translate her for my wife though who learned English as a second language when she was 9.

Danika is not so great eye candy with a terrible wardrobe and stylist. She has nothing to contribute other than her open wheel experience that has no relation to F1.

Schiff is a DEI hire to placate Hamilton. I have no idea what she is supposed to bring to the broadcast…whatever it is she isn’t bringing it.
Old 01-03-2024, 03:50 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by wildcat077
To her benefit , she did drive cars in multiple series contrary to Naomi Schiff who drove karts and spent a season in a women’s race series …
And she actually did pretty (very?) well too, at least in Indycar...Rookie of the Year, win in Japan, 3rd at the Indy 500, top-5 season rank. That's big-time stuff. I expected more from her with that resume but it's not there. She raced in Europe for a time at the start of her career but I think you really have to spend more time there and immerse yourself in their culture.

Last edited by gbuff; 01-03-2024 at 04:01 PM.
Old 01-03-2024, 03:54 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nowanker
I live for her insight. It's the antidote to Croft's ignorance.
Leave Crofty alone, he's the poor man's Murray Walker
Old 01-03-2024, 03:57 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by skl
Me too, really have to pay attention but it's worth the effort.
Old 01-03-2024, 04:20 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Off season stuff.... translated from a foreign publication. Today is Schumi's birthday and there's a lot of memories online regarding his more remarkable performances. This one was truly incredible.

Among Michael Schumacher’s achievements is Barcelona 1994, when the German managed to go over half the race with the gearbox stuck in 5th gear. A single march.
Recounting those moments is Willem Toet, former engineer Benetton.
"Everything was going according to plan, with Schumacher retaining a good second lead as the first pit-stop window approached: he took out Damon Hill about a second on the lap."
Michael contacted us via radio to say he was having problems fitting the gears. The team stopped the car a little earlier so they could have a look. The red oil was visible on the back of the car. Red oil. That was hydraulic oil and Benetton used it to drive gears. car was stuck in 5th gear. March 5th. Imagine trying to start at the light in 5th gear with your street car. A beautiful challenge.
Michael handled it masterfully. He asked if he could try driving around for a while to see if he could find ways around the problem. The team said yes. Actually, we were convinced that the engine would break apart by spinning at the limiter for much of the main straight line.
Michael finished race second behind Damon Hill, with a single walk for over 60% of the race. Personally I thought it was great. He also had enough distance from 3rd to slow down on the final laps, in an attempt to save the car... ".
Old 01-03-2024, 04:32 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,102 Likes on 1,837 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
Bernie is the best and I have no issues understanding her. I have to translate her for my wife though who learned English as a second language when she was 9.

Danika is not so great eye candy with a terrible wardrobe and stylist. She has nothing to contribute other than her open wheel experience that has no relation to F1.

Schiff is a DEI hire to placate Hamilton. I have no idea what she is supposed to bring to the broadcast…whatever it is she isn’t bringing it.
No problem understanding Bernie, although she does have an unusual accent. To my untrained ear it sounds more Irish than English.

Danica did race at a higher level but she was always a whining complainer which is why I never liked her. Whenever someone had an issue with her she would complain that it was because she is a women. No, it's because you are a whining c*nt! She is so unnatural and stiff with the microphone and adds nothing.

Naomi Schiff is at least smooth and a good interviewer, although her racing experience barely qualifies her to be there. Bob Varsha used to be on the American F1 pundits and he has not connection to motorsports - he's an attorney (gasp!)

At least Naomi is kind of hot and dresses well, but I agree she is a DEI hire.

Quick Reply: Formula 1 - 2024 Season