Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2023, 12:32 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,102 Likes on 1,837 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Hmmm, let’s see.

You rack up a season for the history books. Your #1 driver completely dominates the grid, securing the drivers’s championship with over double the points of 2nd place. Your #2 driver takes 2nd place, more than 50 points ahead of 3rd place. You secure the constructors championship with more than double the points of the 2nd place team. Oh, and your #2 driver is no threat whatsoever to your #1 and doesn’t create disharmony within the team.

Yes, let’s go ahead and can Checo. Brilliant idea.
As long as Checo doesn't think he is contention for WDC, like he did at the beginning of 2023, there is no reason to replace him. If he F-s with Max in any way, like not following team orders, that is the only scenario under which he gets canned.

Originally Posted by gbuff
From all I've seen/read, Senna was just a freak. Was very religious and really believed his success came with the help of a higher power. Don't recall the race (might have been a quali session) but I do remember him saying words to the effect after dominating the field that he was just driving w/o really knowing what he was doing
I believe in that same interview he said that it scared him in retrospect that he had no idea that he was driving and that it was kind of an out of body experience. Senna was an interesting and complicated guy to say the least.
The following users liked this post:
Nizer (12-21-2023)
Old 12-20-2023, 06:47 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts

I never liked Senna. An arrogant *****. Plus he treated every win on the podium like it was a funeral. So refreshing when Schumacher started his leap on the podium. No denying his driving talent though.
Old 12-22-2023, 10:20 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 223 Posts

Indeed.

The following 4 users liked this post by Coochas:
ldamelio (12-22-2023), LuigiVampa (12-27-2023), Matt Romanowski (12-24-2023), Mike Roblin (12-22-2023)
Old 12-23-2023, 02:38 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,517 Likes on 1,588 Posts

This dude had enough of the upper management clown show.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/67804122
Old 12-24-2023, 04:52 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,366 Likes on 1,993 Posts

Apparently the only team successful in slowing down Max in 2023 was the Sixt rental car front counter in Portugal 😂😂.

BTW, during the off season, Max has been testing his personal race team’s GT3 car at Portomao race track and then renting 20 different cars with his family friends. Sounds like a great time!

Apparently, Max was not allowed to drive Mercedes AMG GT at the track in Portugal because insurance policy said he was “too young” to drive the car.

Max was looking to spend free time with family and friends by putting a Mercedes AMG GT through its paces at the Autodromo Internacional do Algarve circuit, but found his age getting in the way of such plans.

Max and Co had rented in the region of 20 cars from the company Sixt, but instead of the Mercedes AMG GT that he had wanted, which can hit a top speed lower than that the three-time World Champion experiences in his Red Bull F1 machinery, he was forced to make do with a BMW 5 Series instead.

The Sixt employees would explain to Verstappen that sadly, their insurance policy does not allow under 30s to get behind the wheel of that supercar, which can max out at 195mph.

His manager Raymond Vermeulen then was the one behind the wheel of the Mercedes.

“Max and the group went to Portugal for a fun racing trip and had booked the cars they wanted,”

“When they got to the airport, Max was shocked when he was told he wasn’t allowed to drive the Mercedes he wanted.”

“He’s a seasoned F1 driver who’s used to handling powerful cars, so it’s quite astonishing to think he wasn’t allowed to get behind the wheel of this one — but those are the rules, so he abided by them.”

A response from Sixt is also provided, the firm assuring Verstappen that in future special exemption will be afforded, though they stressed that their employees were only correctly enforcing the rules.

“In order to find a customer-friendly solution on site, Mr Verstappen was provided with another premium vehicle.”

“However, there can be special circumstances that justify a deviation from rules. This is such a case.”

“We apologise to Mr Verstappen. He can rent the car he wants from us at any time.”

VIA: [PLANET F1]
Old 12-24-2023, 04:56 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,212 Likes on 1,851 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
This dude had enough of the upper management clown show.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/67804122
This is a damned shame...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

The following 3 users liked this post by ProCoach:
Carlo_Carrera (12-25-2023), LuigiVampa (12-27-2023), thebishman (12-24-2023)
Old 12-29-2023, 10:40 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Lewis Hamilton, a seven-time Formula 1 world champion, confessed to feigning illness in the past to avoid testing duties during his tenure at Mercedes.

Pre and post season testing has often been regarded as a tedious task by drivers, and Hamilton admitted to resorting to the classic tactic of pretending to be unwell to escape such responsibilities with Sergio Perez even recently labelling it as a 'pain in the a**'.

“George is really ill, it's not a sickie that he's pulled,”

“I was wondering,”

“In the past I have done that to miss the test days, because I just generally don’t like test days.”

“So yesterday when I heard that he was sick, I was like ‘Ah, he’s one-upped me, he’s gone to another level!'”

VIA: [gpblog.com]
Old 12-29-2023, 11:46 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mika Hakkkinen: 'I doubt Perez has a future at Red Bull Racing'
Mika Hakkinen elaborates on the expectations Red Bull Racing has for Sergio Perez in the upcoming season and highlights specific pitfalls the Mexican driver should avoid.
“Perez is the slowest. It has been quite clear now. If the guy who is slower accepts it, he can communicate well with the media and the garage. He can develop the car well. He is motivated and can stay within 3 or 4 tenths. I don't think it's a bad thing. I think it's a pretty OK situation”
“But if the teammate starts to complain, if he accuses the team of nothing giving him a good car, he is not motivated. If the results go up and down, it’s not good for the team. Then the team has to make changes.”
“I know that it is important for the garage to have a Mexican driver. Mexico is a big market. It has a big impact on things. But in the end, we are in a competition and to bring good results, you can’t rely on one driver. You have to get two drivers to a certain level so that you can do good development. Is Perez’s future at Red Bull? I think it’s highly unlikely,”
VIA: [=AT0VK_Zk-4LW4LGJZBY9cqRw3uAXMrhOFiuNXnAAGUPZi3crOt1gBDeIWCtGCSwMxthbHomtWinvonu2F-G3hoecmZzRdugiLQdTbEL2Enxz1QD-JLfzx4SI5OxTNdxkaOMpvkuY4sId3xJ7FiRTKbDsMW2QhvJUms6R97aKgImjcL6lyQxoftMa Ms8RiqHUIR-eX8OF5mD03QnFvA]gpblog.com]
Old 12-29-2023, 12:51 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,102 Likes on 1,837 Posts

Originally Posted by multi21
Mika Hakkkinen: 'I doubt Perez has a future at Red Bull Racing'
Mika Hakkinen elaborates on the expectations Red Bull Racing has for Sergio Perez in the upcoming season and highlights specific pitfalls the Mexican driver should avoid.
“Perez is the slowest. It has been quite clear now. If the guy who is slower accepts it, he can communicate well with the media and the garage. He can develop the car well. He is motivated and can stay within 3 or 4 tenths. I don't think it's a bad thing. I think it's a pretty OK situation”
“But if the teammate starts to complain, if he accuses the team of nothing giving him a good car, he is not motivated. If the results go up and down, it’s not good for the team. Then the team has to make changes.”
“I know that it is important for the garage to have a Mexican driver. Mexico is a big market. It has a big impact on things. But in the end, we are in a competition and to bring good results, you can’t rely on one driver. You have to get two drivers to a certain level so that you can do good development. Is Perez’s future at Red Bull? I think it’s highly unlikely,”
VIA: [[url=https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fgpblog.com%2F%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR2JSFJPT5IGUsEk3_IvC4Gr 4Kb4WwkjeLLO--xfT2cSm6zMi2u8AWbVmTE&h=AT0j9ub2bzoMFqXJMiq2wu98bNX07dseZwZ5t0DPsMuv7m9e xfzh3UW-oobgfkkaJZRQfB2q7kkP5Rm3YZf7hP05CiOWBvsL6FIHPIBQXOEE9_x9A7YvfWqO_8xfgeAK RFuN9mb9Zg&__tn__=-UK-R&c[0]=AT0VK_Zk-4LW4LGJZBY9cqRw3uAXMrhOFiuNXnAAGUPZi3crOt1gBDeIWCtGCSwMxthbHomtWinvonu2F-G3hoecmZzRdugiLQdTbEL2Enxz1QD-JLfzx4SI5OxTNdxkaOMpvkuY4sId3xJ7FiRTKbDsMW2QhvJUms6R97aKgImjcL6lyQxoftMa Ms8RiqHUIR-eX8OF5mD03QnFvA]gpblog.com]
Mika has a point - the only way Perez loses his seat at RB is if he stops being a team player and can no longer contribute to the health of the team. Once he accepts his role as the clear number two driver his seat will be safe because Max is going to beat anyone they put in that other seat.
Old 12-29-2023, 04:07 PM
PiB993
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 100 Posts

I could be wrong but I think Michael Schumacher would use every testing session as an opportunity. I think he was also paid extreme amounts for each test session too though.
Old 12-29-2023, 04:20 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PiB993
I could be wrong but I think Michael Schumacher would use every testing session as an opportunity. I think he was also paid extreme amounts for each test session too though.
I don't know if he was paid extra, but he would insist on testing every single time the car was on track, whether it was an upgrade, tire test or simple laps around Fiorano. He was obsessed with testing the car, when it was allowed.

I believe today is the 10th anniversary of Michael's tragic accident.... hard to imagine it's been 10 years already, but more impossible to imagine a guy who made his living at 200+ MPH would be subject to a head injury that took place on a ski slope at 2 MPH.
ProCoach (12-29-2023)
Old 12-29-2023, 05:46 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 888 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by PiB993
Schumacher would test damn near every day between races when he was at Ferrari. He was not paid extra as it was part of his job at Ferrari. He loved testing.
Carlo_Carrera (12-29-2023)
Old 12-29-2023, 06:26 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,517 Likes on 1,588 Posts

....but more impossible to imagine a guy who made his living at 200+ MPH would be subject to a head injury that took place on a ski slope at 2 MPH.
Greek tragedy level of irony, almost unbelievable.
Old 12-29-2023, 09:02 PM
PiB993
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 100 Posts

I had read his payment was $250k a test day. Maybe that number was extrapolated over his total salary.
Old 12-30-2023, 09:46 AM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 289 Posts

more impossible to imagine a guy who made his living at 200+ MPH would be subject to a head injury that took place on a ski slope at 2 MPH.
He was wearing a helmet too, though I've read that the camera mount he had on it (or the camera itself) caused the damage. Still a travesty.

Last edited by gbuff; 12-30-2023 at 09:50 AM.

Quick Reply: Formula 1 - 2024 Season