This is why I stopped Instructing at DE events

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2021, 06:19 PM
Courtshark
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs
How dare you?!?!?!?!

2 minute minor for trying to get this thread back on topic. It's the sin bin for you young man. 2 minutes for roughing the trolls....
I feel the shame. But who own da Chiefs?

One more thing..I was once a law professor. One of the first things taught to us as professors was the value of saying something, anything, positive to a student, even if their work is garbage. Instructors, please keep that it mind. It works wonders in terms of criticism reaching a wary ear.

5 minute major now?
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (06-28-2021)
Old 06-28-2021, 06:22 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,533 Likes on 1,055 Posts

Originally Posted by Courtshark
I feel the shame. But who own da Chiefs?

One more thing..I was once a law professor. One of the first things taught to us as professors was the value of saying something, anything, positive to a student, even if their work is garbage. Instructors, please keep that it mind. It works wonders in terms of criticism reaching a wary ear.

5 minute major now?
Ownsa....OWNSA........

"You go to the box...two minutes by yourself....you, feel shame, you know.....and then you get free".....
Old 06-28-2021, 06:37 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

My first instructor and I (at WGI with Niagara PCA) initially did not get along, in part because I thought I knew more than I did, and he was a bit of a curmudgeon.
That must have been interesting...

I don't get many opportunities as not many have them around here, but all the students in Mini's I've had were fun, fun, fun! My guess it was 50% the student and 50% just the fun factor of the car itself.
Old 06-28-2021, 08:53 PM
jgiannone
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 14 Posts

I may be able to add something to this that helps. As a lead in, I was participating in a "new instructor" training session a few weeks ago. I was driving as the student, and the new instructor candidate was in the passenger seat. Throughout our session, he would tell me when I turned in early, when I was wide of the apex, etc. After the session, I said to him, that if I was a new or moderately experienced student, that I may know what those comments are, but I might not know what the consequences of those mistakes might be, and I might not know how to fix the small mistakes I make before they escalate into bigger problems. So I went through 3 or 4 of the mistakes that the new student will make, and talked about the recognition of those mistakes (early), and how to correct for them before they escalate. When I'm instructing, right after the first session, I'll cover the mistakes and ask the student to close their eyes and visualize all the mistakes, repetitively, so that when it happens on track, they've already "seen" it. It takes a bit of time, but its worth it. I can get kind of demanding, but that from the next session on, I want to know that they know when the mess up. I don't want to have to say it; I want them to tell me before I can open my mouth. The next DE in which I instructed, I had a young guy as a student that did a great job of recognition and correction. At one point, he got into a corner too hot, ran wide of the apex, let the car rotate a few more car lengths and change its heading, then his foot went to the floor and out we came 2" from track out. It was a thing of beauty, and let me know that he had really gotten it. Best of luck to all who brave getting into strangers cars.
The following 4 users liked this post by jgiannone:
Matt Romanowski (06-28-2021), ProCoach (06-28-2021), SnP (06-30-2021), Tedster (06-29-2021)
Old 06-28-2021, 09:42 PM
Courtshark
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by TXE36
That must have been interesting...

I don't get many opportunities as not many have them around here, but all the students in Mini's I've had were fun, fun, fun! My guess it was 50% the student and 50% just the fun factor of the car itself.
Unfortunately for my instructor I was in my 928. At the time, I'd made it faster via being slower... added GTS brakes, which are basically 911 turbo brakes. Along with upgraded suspension bits... And I'd had a LOT of autoX experience, which made me think I understood what track driving was like. Uh, no.

The Mini we have now is an absolute joy to drive. Pushes 21psi of boost and surprises a lot of "faster" cars. I've also stiffened the suspension. Oh and she's running Falken track tires...

Of course, the GF came off WGI, after passing many a 911 and said... I want to go faster. So we have a 928 track car en route. Which will be nice.
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (06-28-2021)
Old 06-28-2021, 10:10 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,726 Likes on 948 Posts

Originally Posted by coss1600
Ummm you do know the Miata can not dive bomb into the because the GT3 is going that much faster down the straight. Their apex speed might be the same, but as soon as the GT3 gets on the gas. It is all over. 20 seconds is 20 seconds....

Regardless my original rant wouldn't be with this Miata because I know he is limited by HP, everything is predictable. On the other hand, I am scared of someone in a GT3 or GTS running 20 sec slower in the same advanced group!
+1 on that specific example. I don't race a spec miata but I race something very close in performance (better corner speed, slightly worse power to weight than a spec miata), and I once compared my data vs the fastest cup car in the same race. The cup car was 20 seconds a lap faster from just the 3 main straights, but ran a 1:40 second lap vs my 1:58. I was actually 2 seconds faster in all the mini straights and corners, so I was significantly faster in the corners, but even still it was literally impossible to ever be held up by a cup car in my car, even in the twisty sections. The speed difference from the straights meant that when it was passing me regardless of which straight it was passing me, it put so much distance between us by the end of the straight it was gone until the next time it lapped me. I'm trying to think of a track where it would be possible to put a pass on me and hold me up after and I can't think of any.
Old 06-28-2021, 10:20 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,726 Likes on 948 Posts

Originally Posted by TXE36
What the hell is an "open group"? Sounds like some sort of free for all.
"Open group" sounds like a good reason to quit instructing lol.

I'm guessing that is where all the cool youtube track crash videos come from like this gongshow of a track event: https://www.reddit.com/r/cars/commen...orsports_park/
Old 06-28-2021, 11:11 PM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 289 Likes on 181 Posts

Old 06-28-2021, 11:36 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

And I'd had a LOT of autoX experience, which made me think I understood what track driving was like. Uh, no.
Lemme guess - some roughness to smooth out? :-)

Old 06-28-2021, 11:54 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stownsen914
Never gets old.
Actually made 2 separate appearances here on RL these past 2 days….
Old 06-29-2021, 01:31 AM
coss1600
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Zhao
+1 on that specific example. I don't race a spec miata but I race something very close in performance (better corner speed, slightly worse power to weight than a spec miata), and I once compared my data vs the fastest cup car in the same race. The cup car was 20 seconds a lap faster from just the 3 main straights, but ran a 1:40 second lap vs my 1:58. I was actually 2 seconds faster in all the mini straights and corners, so I was significantly faster in the corners, but even still it was literally impossible to ever be held up by a cup car in my car, even in the twisty sections. The speed difference from the straights meant that when it was passing me regardless of which straight it was passing me, it put so much distance between us by the end of the straight it was gone until the next time it lapped me. I'm trying to think of a track where it would be possible to put a pass on me and hold me up after and I can't think of any.
You will be amazed that some of the Miata guys think they are faster when in fact they are lapping 5-10 sec slower! It’s a bizarre thing. You are lapping slower, no one cares if you make it up in the straight or corners. It’s just the way it goes.
Old 06-29-2021, 03:54 AM
RobertR1
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

Open Group, at least on the west coast groups means track is open to passing anywhere. Point by’s not required and organizer provided instruction isn’t provided. In my running’s, it’s the group with the least amount of incidents on a day and also the most track prepped and well maintained cars out of the group.

Last edited by RobertR1; 06-29-2021 at 04:20 AM.
Old 06-29-2021, 04:18 AM
RobertR1
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Zhao
"Open group" sounds like a good reason to quit instructing lol.

I'm guessing that is where all the cool youtube track crash videos come from like this gongshow of a track event: https://www.reddit.com/r/cars/commen...orsports_park/

haha this has all the makings of a budget track day. Commuter cars, more traffic than rush hour and the only instruction is to “go fast and have fun out there!”

No training. Just pay $100 and go Lapping. A-lot of rookies ignoring the Black Flags” that about sums it up.
Old 06-29-2021, 09:18 AM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by coss1600
You will be amazed that some of the Miata guys think they are faster when in fact they are lapping 5-10 sec slower! It’s a bizarre thing. You are lapping slower, no one cares if you make it up in the straight or corners. It’s just the way it goes.
let me guess…you drive your corvette flat out?

Last edited by mhm993; 06-29-2021 at 09:19 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by mhm993:
dgrobs (06-29-2021), Robert Nixon (06-29-2021), TXE36 (06-29-2021)
Old 06-29-2021, 10:21 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mhm993
let me guess…you drive your corvette flat out?
lol...........

Quick Reply: This is why I stopped Instructing at DE events