Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which passing rules are better?
Current
85.51%
Proposed
14.49%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

PCA passing rules

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 09:43 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
To your question about behavior: In PCA Club Racing it is expected that we watch out for each other. In practice, this means that on track you don't take unnecessary risk that could result in car to car contact. It also means that you don't always assume that the car that you are overtaking is aware or that others around you always make good decisions. These are the general rules that we PCA Club Racers live by.

If someone has to refer to the rule book to justify an overly aggressive move that went bad because they didn't leave themselves an exit, they are missing the basic spirit of Club Racing. Can you win races with that attitude in a competitive, equally matched class and still have fun - absolutely!
All that goes without saying and I agree 100%. Doesn’t answer my question though.

Not sure it is clear what “good decision” even means when Scenario a “chops” by outside cars (ahead at turn-in) are being encouraged by awarding 13s to the inside car which was denied racing room. The outside car surely must think it has made a “good decision” here. Has it?

Old 04-18-2018, 10:08 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,904 Likes on 1,777 Posts

If I were coming back from a 13/13 I would be less interested in a strict interpretation of the rules and concentrate more on staying out of incidents. I would work on rebuilding trust with other racers and prove that what happened was either bad luck or that perhaps I have changed. Once I went a season without any issues I might go back to driving "normal" but in the interim I would tread lightly.

Drive like its 3am and a cop is behind you. You know you haven't done anything wrong but you also know someone is watching.

Again, that's just what I would do, and I hope that I never have to find out.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:08 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 305 Likes on 168 Posts

sometimes, in racing as in life, rules don't exist to guide behavior but instead serve merely as a basis to punish the guy who acts like a dick
Old 04-18-2018, 10:24 AM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

When we teach scca school, rule #1 is "don't be that guy".
Just saying.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:29 AM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Apex , turn in, overlap, exit room
these are all changing variables......none of them are constant....apex changes based on turn in, track out, traffic, weather, mistakes.....yes there is an ideal apex...percieved...but variable based on car, tires, and driver ability

I believe the rules are meant as guidelines, go to the meeting the night before the weekend and it is explained how each steward expects things to happen....
just like a Judge...its a judgement call.....unfortunately there is just not alot concrete circumstance stances and are universally comprehended.

you may say overlap no divebomb, I may say divebomb, you may call racing room a car width of asphalt, in may call it curbing and asphalt, Matt may call it grass or some sexual innuendo.

You want more clarity, I get it, things should be consistent....and known...get that too....

a referee uses judgement,.....you are asked to as well......if you think the car has overlap please leave room, if you didnt but there was welcome to decision making and mistakes.
the rules are there to attempt a common understanding.....not always gonna happen.

as others have said, drive to your understanding...but...dont hit anyone......

and to go back to quotes
a meteorite hitting your car is an accident; anything else is driver error
Old 04-18-2018, 10:42 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
If I were coming back from a 13/13 I would be less interested in a strict interpretation of the rules and concentrate more on staying out of incidents. I would work on rebuilding trust with other racers and prove that what happened was either bad luck or that perhaps I have changed. Once I went a season without any issues I might go back to driving "normal" but in the interim I would tread lightly.
Yes, and I plan on doing exactly that. I'm just taking advantage of my 13/13 hibernation time (making lemonade out of lemons) to learn more about what "normal" means in PCA racing. I appreciate most of the inputs in this thread, including yours, and I find them to be very useful.
Old 04-18-2018, 01:33 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1

No, I’m on the outside and being passed on the inside. I’m ahead at turn-in. I go for the apex by which I deny racing room to the inside passing car. Do I get a 13 if the inside car doesn’t pull out and there’s contact?

Well it is if I’m on the outside, ahead at turn-in, and going for the apex. The inside car will be “chopped” out of racing room.

Thx.

YES

Because you would fail the criteria of 'leaving racing room'. It's not that complicated!

It's likely impossible to create a perfect decision/judgement algorithm for every racing situation.

In the end it's about reasonable judgement - doing the best you can do - in a dynamic situation. Common sense. Risk mitigation. Knowing that you will likely have beer(s) after with those you are racing with.

Originally Posted by Der ABT
Matt may call it grass or some sexual innuendo.
Totally offensive. I am outraged.
Old 04-18-2018, 01:42 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
All that goes without saying and I agree 100%. Doesn’t answer my question though.
I answered your question in terms of what behavior is usually expected an encouraged.
Old 04-18-2018, 01:47 PM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I think you might be creating ambiguity where there is none through "what if'ing" this.....

I don't believe the intent for "racing room" (RR) is to say if the outside car on turn in (C1), he/she must leave RR if C1 believes they are ahead and not alongside of car 2 (C2). C2 will always have better situational awareness and thus the burden and majority of the responsibility resides with the overtaking car. I think the intent of RR is to say if you are along side, you must give them space and not run them off track, as they are obviously faster and thus overtaking.....not, you must leave them space to initiate and overtake you.
Old 04-18-2018, 01:52 PM
Paseb
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 53 Posts

Gtb1 divebombing at road atlanta! Impossible lol
Old 04-18-2018, 04:06 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,101 Likes on 1,810 Posts

Originally Posted by nxfedlt1
I think you might be creating ambiguity where there is none through "what if'ing" this.....

I think the intent of RR is to say if you are along side, you must give them space and not run them off track, as they are obviously faster and thus overtaking.....not, you must leave them space to initiate and overtake you.
Agreed, on BOTH counts.

RR is also specifically required on straights where cars typically cross the width of the track to set up for the next corner.

RR is also specifically required when completing the pass yet not quite “clear” of the overtaken car at track out.

It IS about cooperation.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:56 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Here is what I learned in this thread. I need to get the F**k out of SPB and into another class because people don't know how to initiate and complete a safe pass.......

Can't believe this thread has lasted this long. To me the rules are clear. Crystal clear.

To me the rules where written to give latitude for both drivers to interpret clearly and adjust their driving accordingly, and where written to allow stewards the latitude to make decisions that appropriately assign blame.

The intent of the passing rule is -DONT HIT EACH OTHER. Plain and simple. If your going to make a pass and there is a chance you will have contact, DONT DO IT. If your a better racer than them, you will get by them. Be patient.

Simple.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:08 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 256 Posts

Old 04-18-2018, 11:19 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
My friend, I think you KNOW which rules are being enforced after two whacks of the ruler, no?
and

My friend, I think you KNOW which rules are being enforced after two whacks of the ruler, no?
AND

I think some just don't get it.
Old 04-18-2018, 11:48 PM
Yellow996
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 39 Posts

Holy F**K, this thread started in August and is still going! Moderators: Please stop the madness!

Quick Reply: PCA passing rules