Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which passing rules are better?
Current
85.51%
Proposed
14.49%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

PCA passing rules

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 12:31 AM
996SPECticle
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

#1 Trump promised fewer rules and regs.
#2 Rules are just as likely to support what a person can do poorly and get away with than promote responsible behavior.
#3 Gentleman do not always prefer blondes, need everything spelled out or litigate unnecessarily.

Pg3 PCA CRR
DRIVER REQUIREMENTS
1. Conduct that is inappropriate to the intent and spirit of the PCA Club Racing Program jeopardizes safety or results in dangerous or damaging situations will not be tolerated.
(emphasis added)
Old 08-07-2017, 01:10 AM
Yellow996
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 39 Posts

I admire how much free time you guys have to debate this stuff. Hunt, you're correct....a couple more sentences of clarification certainly couldn't hurt.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:14 AM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
...until they don't and decide to use it as a weapon. My first 13 was received at LRP on my first ever PCA race because an experienced racer used this weapon to deny me racing room into Turn 1 with 3/4 overlap. And this was after he came to me in the paddock ahead of the race, introduced himself, and we shook hands on an agreement to always leave each other racing room if ANY overlap was established. He had seen our qualifying times and correctly assumed that we would be racing each other for P3. I appreciated his approach very much. Before the contact we even exchanged positions at least couple of times according to our "handshake" agreement by leaving each other room -- then when I tried to use it into Turn 1, sorry no room this time. Of course, the stewards decided it was my fault since there was no 100% overlap at turn-in, so according to Rule 2 he "had" the corner that according to the same rule he doesn't "own" (!?) and according to Rule 3 "everyone must leave racing room" (!?). In retrospect, I jot it down as simple rookie naivete on my part. I was just "outsmarted".

So you see why this vagueness and "gentlemen just figure it out" thing could become a bit of a problem.
Really, because that's not how it was presented in the other thread... To quote:
Secondly, your first incident at LRP that resulted in the first 13 was not minor damage. As you know, the driver you made contact with is a good buddy of mine so I have first hand knowledge of the damage. The rocker and the rear of the door opening on the passenger side was crushed in 2 inches. I believe PCA was going to make it a rub out until they came and observed the damage a second time and saw that it was more than a door dent. The repair bill from that incident exceeds $5K so I believe the 13 was warranted in that incident.

Lastly, I can see why you thought taking that pass was a 'must do' situation. When we decide we must do it, reason leaves the decision matrix. I could compile a 20 minute video of all the times this exact situation has happened to me. A slower car being passed in what looks to be a clear pass and then I get squeezed. The prudent thing to do was to simply back out of the pass. At WGI this year it happened to me 3 times. Each time it happened, I backed out of the pass by standing on the brakes and had another go. In two of those, I was passed by another SPB (rightly so) who was behind me and simply could stay in the gas. That's racing.
Then someone else chimed in with how they also had to lift in the same event because you passed them in the left hander before no name straight instead of waiting, then someone else chimed in you were actually debating passing rules at your rookie meeting, then we saw you screw the two 944's out of their race by launching yourself straight over a curb running a car off road then there was the white 944 incident. In THREE races!!! Time for a long hard look in the mirror not a debate over a rule change.

Originally Posted by cmac View Post
I remember at LRP you had some strong opinions on passing rules during the rookie orientation class and even tried to have a short debate with the steward who was presenting about just this sort of pass...
I, too, was a Rookie at LRP, and I raced in a 924/SP2 car with the OP and what I figured out early on was that he was racing to win, and he was good, but the trouble is that PCA rules didn't change his idea of what racing should be because he passed me in the Left Hander rather than wait until I hit No Name Straight. As a result I had to maintain my lift thru the corner and lose huge momentum plus drive offline to the right to leave space. Now by that point I was being lapped by the pack and well aware of being a "speed bump", but it was my very first race and everyone had always told me "stick to the line". In this case had I stuck to the line, contact would have occurred for sure, but I saw what was happening and left room
Old 08-07-2017, 08:40 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Pho King Fast
**** the blame. **** the rules. If you get into an accident, you let somebody hit you. That's both on you as well as the idiot that hit you. Unless you're racing F1 or something similarly dispensable, just stfu and swallow whatever you tried to bite.

If you can't walk away from contact thinking "**** happens," go back to karting.
Originally Posted by Pho King Fast
Yes really. You are being just as contradictory as the actual rule. In your first sentence you blame the person getting hit for getting hit then in the next sentence you blame both. So which is it?

You should probably add some language to clarify your rule so it's less confusing.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:05 AM
dgmark
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 49 Posts

I have run over 50 races without hitting anyone or anything. The original poster has hit 2 cars in 3 races. The passing rules are fine and to me are clear. As a rookie your job is to run a clean race and blend in to the family of racers. If that means you have to give up a position, so be it. The original poster has to realize he is joining the other racers and not the other way around.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:57 AM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Are there two conversations going on here? The OP is suggesting a change in the rules AND streak/Hunt is suggesting a clarification of the existing rules?
Or are you both proposing a rule change silicate to SCCA and other clubs re shared responsibility ?
Old 08-07-2017, 11:25 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,101 Likes on 1,810 Posts

Originally Posted by dgmark
I have run over 50 races without hitting anyone or anything. The original poster has hit 2 cars in 3 races. The passing rules are fine and to me are clear. As a rookie your job is to run a clean race and blend in to the family of racers. If that means you have to give up a position, so be it. The original poster has to realize he is joining the other racers and not the other way around.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 08-07-2017, 12:22 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Looking back over years of CRN issues it would seem the passing rule is discussed with regularity signifying that the rule is unclear. Why else would there need to be article after article after article of clarification?

Maybe a collection of those articles could be packaged and handed to the rookies. Considering a rookie probably doesn't have years of back issues.

Think of it this way: if you are building a car from scratch do you remember how tall, wide and where the numbers go? Of course not. You refer back to the rule book.

Just a thought.
Old 08-07-2017, 12:27 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dr911
Are there two conversations going on here? The OP is suggesting a change in the rules AND streak/Hunt is suggesting a clarification of the existing rules?
Or are you both proposing a rule change silicate to SCCA and other clubs re shared responsibility ?
I'm suggesting that the 3rd sentence needs to be first and racing room defined. That to me changes the spirit of the rule to be one of cooperation first anywhere on track. I also think some definition of overlap needs to be included in the 2nd sentence. Define when the leading driver is compelled to leave racing room.

BTW at a recent race "racing room" was defined as half the track. In other words on a 50 foot wide track if a car crossed over the center line he was guilty of not leaving racing room. Clearly that's absurd as two cars can easily occupy 25 or less side by side. But that definition was made up on the spot in the paddock by an official to assign a 13. Subsequently over turned later that day.

So my goal is to clarify and define and answer common questions. According to some here if you ask a question about a rule you should find someplace else to race. Why not answer those questions instead?

Not a difficult concept but apparently it is for some

Last edited by Streak; 08-07-2017 at 12:49 PM.
Old 08-07-2017, 12:34 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Interesting. In that other thread you expressed frustration with the answers you and the OP received from the stewards on this very subject. And you favored rules clarification.

Hmmmm.
Old 08-07-2017, 12:49 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak
Interesting. In that other thread you expressed frustration with the answers you and the OP received from the stewards on this very subject. And you favored rules clarification.

Hmmmm.
That's the impression I got also....
Old 08-07-2017, 12:58 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,101 Likes on 1,810 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak
Originally Posted by Gary R.
That's the impression I got also....
My thumbsup was because that is an expression of how I think it ought to be, not necessarily how it is, which is the root of yours (and others) concerns.

This and the other are GREAT threads, because this topic (like any in high performance driving/racing) is an onion. You've got to peel back layers to get to the core. And I appreciate your point of view, Hunt.

I believe clarification could help, but as pointed out, even the explanation of the existing rule varies from Region to Region, Zone to Zone.

I've attended more than a dozen Rookie Orientation meetings simply so that I can hear what and how the stewards and the leaders of Club Racing outline as the goal.

It's been entertaining and educational, and not a little murky sometimes...
Old 08-07-2017, 01:00 PM
z06801
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe a distinction in the rules between two types of pass, one where a faster car that has a very high rate of closing speed on a car out of class and one where cars are actually racing each other, the later Being where racing room and overlap make sense.
Old 08-07-2017, 01:03 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by z06801
Maybe a distinction in the rules between two types of pass, one where a faster car that has a very high rate of closing speed on a car out of class and one where cars are actually racing each other, the later Being where racing room and overlap make sense.
Valid thought. Both situations are very different animals.
Old 08-07-2017, 01:57 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 111 Posts

Regardless how the rules are written, for a faster car passing a lapped car, the move by the orange Boxster on the white car is inexcusable!!

Quick Reply: PCA passing rules