Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which passing rules are better?
Current
85.51%
Proposed
14.49%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

PCA passing rules

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 08:54 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Can someone who understands the PCA rules please answer this simple question: Which of the two scenarios were the rules meant to enforce: a or b?

Car A is starting a pass on Car B on the straight and on the inside ahead of the next turn. The overlap between the cars is increasing. At turn-in, the passed Car B is still ahead of A by 1/4 car-length.

a. Car B goes for the apex, forcing Car A to hit the brakes and line up behind Car B. ("The car ahead at turn in has the corner...")

OR

b. Car B leaves racing room for Car A and both cars go through the turn side by side. ("...but doesn't own the corner. Everyone must leave racing room.")

Thx.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:18 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,253 Likes on 1,860 Posts

You’re really missing the point, aren’t you?

In scenario a), the overlap is not complete, nor IS THE OVERTAKING CAR AHEAD. The overtaking car is making a number of assumptions, including the idea that by its very presence and the “growing, but not complete, overlap” will make it self-evident that the overtaken car WILL YIELD or otherwise give way.

The overtaking car is the ONLY car that has full view of BOTH cars, conferring upon it a more informed, complete and RESPONSIBLE view of what is going on. The overtaking car makes the decision to pass or not to pass, based on that more complete information.

In scenario b), there is no such assumption, because both drivers are (and have been) aware of the proximity of the other, know and like each other, respect EACH OTHER’S RIGHT TO EXIST and most importantly realize that the passing car’s position at corner entry is NOT a STATIC exercise. Ideally, this is what happens between friendly and respectful competitors.

Unfortunately, in scenario a), an ASSUMPTION by the overtaking car leads to several BAD decisions by the driver and at EVERY “go/no-go” moment that could prevent potential contact, the overtaking driver presses on. With predictible results, FAR too common in PCA Club Racing.

13/13 is a deterrent. Without it, people THINK less than they already do...
Old 04-16-2018, 09:23 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,160 Likes on 1,851 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
As long as we're going to use quotes...

"In all societies where men compete with one another - and in which societies, pray, do they not? - there must be laws to regulate that competition. The extent to which that competition is carried, whether by intensity or sophistication, determines the degree of complexity of the necessary laws; and the extent to which those laws are willingly accepted determines, no less, the degree of civilization of that society."

Translated from Thales of Miletus, c 600 BC.
And where do we get laws? From lawyers! I knew eventually you guys would see the light and say something positive about lawyers! It only took this ridiculous thread for it to happen.

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Another relevant quote:

"I learned to approach racing like a game of billiards.
If you bash the ball too hard, you get nowhere.
As you handle the cue properly, you drive with more finesse."
- Juan Manuel Fangio
The driver's of the 50s and 60s were for the most part true gentlemen racers. There was an esprit de corps which is sadly lacking in modern racing, and at times, in club racing.

In more recent times you have to choose whether you want to be known as a Max Verstappen or a Danny Ricciardo.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:25 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

You’re really missing the point, aren’t you?

In scenario a), the overlap is not complete, nor IS THE OVERTAKING CAR AHEAD. The overtaking car is making a number of assumptions, including the idea that by its very presence and the “growing, but not complete, overlap” will make it self-evident that the overtaken car WILL YIELD or otherwise give way.

The overtaking car is the ONLY car that has full view of BOTH cars, conferring upon it a more informed, complete and RESPONSIBLE view of what is going on. The overtaking car makes the decision to pass or not to pass, based on that more complete information.

In scenario b), there is no such assumption, because both drivers are (and have been) aware of the proximity of the other, know and like each other, respect EACH OTHER’S RIGHT TO EXIST and most importantly realize that the passing car’s position at corner entry is NOT a STATIC exercise. Ideally, this is what happens between friendly and respectful competitors.

Unfortunately, in scenario a), an ASSUMPTION by the overtaking car leads to several BAD decisions by the driver and at EVERY “go/no-go” moment that could prevent potential contact, the overtaking driver presses on. With predictible results, FAR too common in PCA Club Racing.

13/13 is a deterrent. Without it, people THINK less than they already do...
So which is it, a or b?
Old 04-16-2018, 09:43 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by hf1
So which is it, a or b?
Because BOTH people can’t be trusted to make the right decision (scenario b), including you, a) guides the process and sets the expectation.

scenario b) is what we all wish for, scenario a) is reality...

IMO, of course.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:51 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Because BOTH people can’t be trusted to make the right decision (scenario b), including you, a) guides the process and sets the expectation.

scenario b) is what we all wish for, scenario a) is reality...

IMO, of course.
Thx. In your opinion, is it OK when two contradicting scenarios are expected and enforced by the same set of rules?
If you wish for b) and if you want to make it a reality (instead of a) wouldn’t it be better to just clearly say so and not confuse people with a) ?

Appreciate your answers.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:30 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by hf1

Thx. In your opinion, is it OK when two contradicting scenarios are expected and enforced by the same set of rules?
If you wish for b) and if you want to make it a reality (instead of a) wouldn’t it be better to just clearly say so and not confuse people with a) ?

Appreciate your answers.
I appreciate you posing the question and I have made the same mistake(s), assuming I could overtake and complete a safe pass when overlap was still there or my nose was not quite ahead until after THEIR turn-in point but by the area of approach to the apex. And I have been sanctioned for that...

The seemingly variable assignment of responsibility in contact incidents, plus the introduction of the “rub out” does introduce confusion.

I wrote a cover article in Grassroots Motorsports magazine twenty years ago September about this exact issue and how inconsistency in identifying and “calling” enforceable incidents, variable assignment of responsibility and specifically variations in penalties erode competitor’s mindfulness, as well as proper and desirable decision-making, when confronted with the inevitable question; “do they SEE me?”

It’s a very tough job to adjudicate these issues. Having done so (and contributed to numerous examinations of incident forensics) for many years, so much more “behavior modification” can be accomplished when the penalty matches the expectation, but in an effort to simplify, sometimes the add-on language adds confusion.

That said, I’m not certain that they are two conflicting scenarios. The first one is pretty clear, the second one kicks in only when people go beyond the first one.

No simple answer and will have to think more about your query. It’s a good one.

Old 04-16-2018, 11:46 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

That said, I’m not certain that they are two conflicting scenarios. The first one is pretty clear, the second one kicks in only when people go beyond the first one.

IMO, they are as conflicting as they can be. Here's why:

At what point does the passing Car A determine whether scenario a) or scenario b) is about to play out? If it assumes scenario b) while passed Car B assumes scenario a) and a contact occurs, whose fault would that be? Both cars intended to play out scenarios allowed by the rules. The passed Car B thinks it "has the corner" and goes for the apex (scenario a) but at the same time the passing Car A expects that the passed car "doesn't own the corner and that everyone must leave racing room" (scenario b).

If the passing Car A would be judged to be at fault for such a contact, wouldn't this imply that all passing cars should expect and drive by scenario a), just to be safe -- in which case scenario a) becomes the one that is de facto expected and enforced by the rules? If so, what's the point of having the conflicting scenario b) in the rules ("...does not own the corner. Everyone must leave racing room.")?

On the other hand, if the passed Car B would be judged to be at fault for the contact, wouldn't this imply that all passing cars should reasonably expect and drive by scenario b), in which case scenario b) becomes the one that is de facto expected and enforced by the rules? If so, what's the point of having the conflicting scenario a) in the rules ("The car ahead at turn in has the corner...")?

No simple answer and will have to think more about your query. It’s a good one.
Thx!

Last edited by hf1; 04-16-2018 at 12:33 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:07 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Can I make an attempt at a summation here?

Most people, after taking part in a few race weekends, know what to do in a corner. The people that don't figure it out, or worse yet, don't care, get weeded out through the 13/13 process.

Again, I don't think we need pages and pages of debate about overlapping bumpers, and how much is an overlap, because for the most part it is always going to be subjective to each of the drivers. Video helps to make it objective but it never shows the complete picture nor all the angles. For the most part we all know what is appropriate versus inappropriate and most incidences are the result of a mistake rather than someone thinking they had the right to be there and just stuck with it.

I have backed out plenty of times where I was certain it was my corner but did not want to have an incident. The other driver has almost always responded to the situation with "I honestly didn't even realize you were there."

So all this debate really doesn't really address that the majority of time it is a mistake which causes an incident and not someone interpreting the rules as they dive into a corner. That's my opinion - others my disagree.

The bottom line is how you drive forms your reputation and whether someone will trust you in the corner or not. How do you want to be known?
Old 04-16-2018, 12:11 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa

Most people, after taking part in a few race weekends, know what to do in a corner. The people that don't figure it out, or worse yet, don't care, get weeded out through the 13/13 process.

Again, I don't think we need pages and pages of debate about overlapping bumpers, and how much is an overlap, because for the most part it is always going to be subjective to each of the drivers. Video helps to make it objective but it never shows the complete picture nor all the angles. For the most part we all know what is appropriate versus inappropriate and most incidences are the result of a mistake rather than someone thinking they had the right to be there and just stuck with it.

I have backed out plenty of times where I was certain it was my corner but did not want to have an incident. The other driver has almost always responded to the situation with "I honestly didn't even realize you were there."

So all this debate really doesn't really address that the majority of time it is a mistake which causes an incident and not someone interpreting the rules as they dive into a corner. That's my opinion - others my disagree.

The bottom line is how you drive forms your reputation and whether someone will trust you in the corner or not. How do you want to be known?
Yep. Good summation, counselor!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-16-2018, 12:17 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Appreciate your input. If you don't think that these questions are relevant or even needed you are obviously free to disregard them. Please allow for the possibility that others may differ and would like to continue their discussion. I find plenty of discussions on RL that are useless and irrelevant to me, yet I don't deem it to be my duty to interrupt them or to make them stop.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:35 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hf1
Appreciate your input. If you don't think that these questions are relevant or even needed you are obviously free to disregard them. Please allow for the possibility that others may differ and would like to continue their discussion. I find plenty of discussions on RL that are useless and irrelevant to me, yet I don't deem it to be my duty to interrupt them or to make them stop.
Far from thinking the thread is useless I think it has provoked some thoughtful responses. However, for the most part, I think the bulk of the debate fails to address what is actually happening out on track. Most drivers "get it" and make their decisions based on avoiding an incident rather than who is in the right.

My "summation" remark was in jest as I don't think God himself, never mind me, could stop this thread from rolling forward!
Old 04-16-2018, 01:36 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

My "summation" remark was in jest as I don't think God himself, never mind me, could stop this thread from rolling forward!
Old 04-16-2018, 01:58 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Most drivers "get it" and make their decisions based on avoiding an incident rather than who is in the right.
I agree and I'm sure you didn't mean it that way, but the implication that the drivers who question the clarity and the consistent enforcement of the rules don't care about avoiding an incident is a bit insulting.

I'd appreciate a more direct answer from a respected club racer such as yourself about the question I posed about Scenario a) vs Scenario b) above. "Drivers must 'get it', and not hit each other" is not a rule, unfortunately. I too wish it was that simple. I'm sure you too, as a lawyer, understand the significance that rules have in guiding competition and resolving conflicting claims to a scarce resource (track/racing space, in this case).

It was a good "summation" and I agreed with everything in it, but it didn't answer the questions which I think are also important.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:11 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hf1
I agree and I'm sure you didn't mean it that way, but the implication that the drivers who question the clarity and the consistent enforcement of the rules don't care about avoiding an incident is a bit insulting.

I'd appreciate a more direct answer from a respected club racer such as yourself about the question I posed about Scenario a) vs Scenario b) above. "Drivers must 'get it', and not hit each other" is not a rule, unfortunately. I too wish it was that simple. I'm sure you too, as a lawyer, understand the significance that rules have in guiding competition and resolving conflicting claims to a scarce resource (track/racing space, in this case).

It was a good "summation" and I agreed with everything in it, but it didn't answer the questions which I think are also important.
We've shared a few beers so I hope you know it was never my intent to insult you. Far be it from that, I was merely trying to say that although this is a valiant attempt to define certain rules, and that the rules are very important, in most cases the rules are not how a driver makes a decision out on track. We make these decisions in an instant with bumpers and quarter panels sometimes less than an inch apart. Sitting in a race car with a helmet and HANS, cage, perhaps a halo seat, and all the other items blocking our view, our interpretation of where we are, and who has the corner, is based many times on incomplete information.

If this were pro racing it would be so much easier since a small amount of contact is deemed a racing incident. In club racing it is so much more difficult.

And with that I think we should close the thread. <kidding! kidding!>

Quick Reply: PCA passing rules