Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which passing rules are better?
Current
85.51%
Proposed
14.49%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

PCA passing rules

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 10:53 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,904 Likes on 1,777 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Thx, I owe you a beer.
But I hope we're not having this discussion just for my benefit and that it is relevant and helpful for every club racer.
It was a useful thread but I honestly think we are beating a dead horse at this point.

Matt D, on the other hand, should probably still be paying attention. Also, if you can start another thread about how grass is not a racing service I would be happy to add to that one.
Old 04-17-2018, 03:04 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
....if you can start another thread about how grass is not a racing service I would be happy to add to that one.
I resemble that remark.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:20 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
So we all seem to prefer (and hope for) the "gentlemanly" Scenario b in which a door is not slammed (and room is given), yet we understand that the rules are enforcing Scenario a in which a door could be "legally" slammed with no penalty for the "slammer" if contact is initiated. Assuming that we also agree that the rules should be consistent and non-contradicting, which one of these two sets of consistent rules would you prefer to race under?

(Scenario a):
1. The passing car has the responsibility to make a clean pass.
2. The car ahead at turn in has the corner.

OR

(Scenario b):
1. The car ahead at turn in does not own the corner.
2. Everyone must leave racing room.

Thx.
I'd like one last confirmation from the experienced PCA club racers here, before I wrap this up. Am I safe to conclude that if I play by Scenario a (i.e. if I'm ahead at turn-in and I go for the apex and deny racing room to the car next to me) and there is contact, then I would NOT be found to be at fault and would not get a 13, while the other car likely would? In other words, has anyone seen that a 13 has been given to someone going for the apex as per Scenario a, with the justification that they should have followed Scenario b ("given racing room")? It's going to be hard to re-program myself into a Scenario a) "chopper" but I'll give it a fair try. When in Rome, do what Romans do.

My reasoning is that if I have been on the receiving end of two 13s because I've followed Scenario b instead of Scenario a, then I should just follow Scenario a at all times: When I'm ahead at turn-in, I go ("chop") for the apex, and when I am not, I back out and line up behind.

It doesn't matter that the rules are conflicting if in reality the stewards consistently enforce Scenario a at the expense of Scenario b. I just need a confirmation that this is, in fact, consistently the case. If this is not the case and they often invoke Scenario b ("leave room") to a follower of a Scenario a ("chop"), then I'm afraid the rules must be adjusted to pick one scenario and stick with it at all times.

Thx.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:35 PM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 58 Posts

I'll stay out of commenting on a given sanctioning body's specific rules, as I race and officiate with a different organization. But I have some general advice for any novice racer: How about you just keep your nose clean for a season or two?
Old 04-17-2018, 09:43 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cosm3os
I'll stay out of commenting on a given sanctioning body's specific rules, as I race and officiate with a different organization. But I have some general advice for any novice racer: How about you just keep your nose clean for a season or two?
Thanks, and yes, that's a given. Still wouldn't hurt to know which rules are being enforced and what behavior is being expected and encouraged in each particular neck of the woods. I'm a rookie for PCA club racing but I've been racing and have "kept my nose clean" for ten years elsewhere.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:12 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Thanks, and yes, that's a given. Still wouldn't hurt to know which rules are being enforced and what behavior is being expected and encouraged in each particular neck of the woods. I'm a rookie for PCA club racing but I've been racing and have "kept my nose clean" for ten years elsewhere.
My friend, I think you KNOW which rules are being enforced after two whacks of the ruler, no?

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in...
Old 04-18-2018, 08:23 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
My friend, I think you KNOW which rules are being enforced after two whacks of the ruler, no?.
Yes, my question is whether this is the case with all PCA stewards, everywhere, and at all times, that’s all. Has anyone been given a 13 for going by Scenario a (“chopping” for the apex when ahead at turn-in)? I don’t want a steward waving Scenario b (“You don’t own the corner, should have left racing room. See, it’s in the rules!”) as justification for his 13 in case of a contact.

Old 04-18-2018, 08:56 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

As I explained earlier, unless I know (very well) the person i'm passing entering a corner I take the safe move no matter what the rules say. I leave a lane if i'm the outside guy, I back out if i'm the inside guy and i'm not going to have overlap before turn in. But that's just me, I have been chopped and pinched many times... but my only rubbing was my 1st incident 10 years ago, after that all my damage was self inflicted.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:10 AM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 256 Posts

Old 04-18-2018, 09:13 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
As I explained earlier, unless I know (very well) the person i'm passing entering a corner I take the safe move no matter what the rules say. I leave a lane if i'm the outside guy, I back out if i'm the inside guy and i'm not going to have overlap before turn in. But that's just me, I have been chopped and pinched many times... but my only rubbing was my 1st incident 10 years ago, after that all my damage was self inflicted.
If everybody was doing this, then all corners in PCA races would be taken in trains one car-width away from the apex, except when drivers knew each other very well and the inside car trusted that the outside car will not do a (perfectly legal) Scenario a “chop” on them.

Old 04-18-2018, 09:16 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

It's not dead Matt..
Old 04-18-2018, 09:17 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hf1

If everybody was doing this, then all corners in PCA races would be taken in trains one car-width away from the apex, except when drivers knew each other very well and the inside car trusted that the outside car will not do a Scenario a “chop” on them.
Lol... I suggest you continue doing it whatever way you like!

Damn, I was hoping for a new page...
Old 04-18-2018, 09:19 AM
Fumes
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
if I'm ahead at turn-in and I go for the apex and deny racing room to the car next to me) and there is contact, then I would NOT be found to be at fault and would not get a 13, while the other car likely would? .
omg really man? one. more. time....

if you are attempting a pass, first and foremost, it's your responsibility to get it done safely. Ok? That's the deal. If you don't like that aspect, don't race PCA because the 13 rulings are subjective and greenshirts can catch you out - so be damn careful not to trade paint. that's the whole idea.

Two, If you are even or slightly ahead at turn in, congrats, you're 1/3 done w your epic move! Now you both need to turn in and SHARE the corner. you are not "denying the car next to you racing room" by turning in to the apex when you are even because they are occupying their piece of the track next to you....you can simply coexist...peacefully and happily.

If you fail to shed speed into the brake zone because you are off line and he/she cannot turn in without contact and must drive off, that's denying racing room aka "running him her off the road" haha on entry.
If you squeeze a car off mid corner instead of leaving him or her some space on the track, that's denying racing room.
If you open the wheel early on exit and run him or her off the road - that's denying racing room.

if you didn't turn for the apex, what you call denying racing room, you'd simply go straight and crash into them when they turned in.

Originally Posted by hf1
When I'm ahead at turn-in, I go ("chop") for the apex, and when I am not, I back out and line up behind.
Turning in to the apex when you are alongside another car is not a chop.....a chop is passing someone then moving over very quickly immediately in front of them... sometimes into a brake zone which is a ****ty thing to do.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:22 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Still wouldn't hurt to know which rules are being enforced and what behavior is being expected and encouraged in each particular neck of the woods.
To your question about behavior: In PCA Club Racing it is expected that we watch out for each other. In practice, this means that on track you don't take unnecessary risk that could result in car to car contact. It also means that you don't always assume that the car that you are overtaking is aware or that others around you always make good decisions. These are the general rules that we PCA Club Racers live by.

If someone has to refer to the rule book to justify an overly aggressive move that went bad because they didn't leave themselves an exit, they are missing the basic spirit of Club Racing. Can you win races with that attitude in a competitive, equally matched class and still have fun - absolutely!
Old 04-18-2018, 09:31 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fumes
omg really man? one. more. time....

if you are attempting a pass,..
No, I’m on the outside and being passed on the inside. I’m ahead at turn-in. I go for the apex by which I deny racing room to the inside passing car. Do I get a 13 if the inside car doesn’t pull out and there’s contact?

Turning in to the apex when you are alongside another car is not a chop...
Well it is if I’m on the outside, ahead at turn-in, and going for the apex. The inside car will be “chopped” out of racing room.

Thx.

Quick Reply: PCA passing rules