Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Isudar Carplay for PCM 3.1

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2021, 02:55 PM
Fantasmos
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by is9520
Looks very promising. Any idea why the product ships with a microphone if it's not needed? I've seen other videos explain that the microphone is necessary for "Siri" and "Hej Google" initiialization, which I always found a bit hard to believe....
As I said in the video it's because they use the same kit with different firmware for other brands. All Porsches have BT but not all mercs. My "Hey Siri" works through the original mic without issues.
The following 3 users liked this post by Fantasmos:
is9520 (08-29-2021), M. Schneider (09-11-2021), Michael Saylor (01-04-2022)
Old 08-29-2021, 03:31 PM
is9520
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fantasmos
As I said in the video it's because they use the same kit with different firmware for other brands. All Porsches have BT but not all mercs. My "Hey Siri" works through the original mic without issues.
Seems I have a base unit in my 2016 Cayman S, which leads to another couple of quick questions;

1. My unit has no navigation so would this install work for me? In other words, is the navigation working off the phone or the car's GPS?
2. My unit has no source button but there is an AUX button - good enough?
3. Mechanically speaking, are the standoffs and size of board etc compatible with the base unit as well?

Having done a bit of reading, I think I have something called CDR, which is not a PCM - so maybe no dice, which would be a bummer.
It seems as if the older box versions worked with CDR though - https://thecarplayer.com/blogs/news/...m-3-1-i-cdr-31
No space for a box, so I'm crossing my fingers that this is compatible....

Is this PCM 3.1 or CDR(+) or doesn't it matter for this mod?

Last edited by is9520; 08-29-2021 at 04:39 PM.
Old 08-29-2021, 03:46 PM
Santirx
Racer

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

I installed the Isudar module in my Macan. I replaced the Joye module in mine.

The improvements over the Joye module:

1. Speed of readiness. With the older module, I had to wait for about 10 seconds before the system recognize my phone and hence CarPlay. With Ebilaen/Isudar is basically instantaneous.

2. Audio: Audio improvement with Isudar is nominal, but it is improved. I still need to tune it, but sound is not as attenuated. But still not as good as with the direct iPod input.

3. Response: It seems that Isudar is more responsive and quick. When you change from AUX to iPod and back, it is very responsive.

4. Connection: so far, connection had been solid with Isudar. No dropped connection so far, even with active AUX BT (which was an issue before with the Joye)

5. Compact: the installation is cleaner with Isudar. Just the board and some wiring vs board, module, wiring and dummy connector with Joye.

6. User Interface: much improved over older module. Setup is easier. Better contrast and no unwanted pixels.

7. The system comes up so quickly when I turn the car on, that I could leave my phone connected and I would not have to do the long process of disconnecting and re-connecting the iPhone, like I had to do with the Joye system.

8. The microphone provided is OEM, which goes into the slot where the OEM mic would go if you order your Macan with voice recognition. If you already have voice recognition, you can select an option in the setup to make it work with then factory mic. This is a huge advantage to ensure a factory-like stealthy install.

The Quirks (so far):

1. When in iPod mode and using CarPlay over WiFi, I lose the ability to control volume with the head unit volume ****. However, the steering wheel volume **** works well. I think this is due to the fact that the Isudar module takes control of the head unit volume control for CarPlay and it wants to control CarPlay volume when you are actually with the iPod.

2. Related to item # 1, when I connect through AUX, then I can control the volume in the head unit, but is different than everywhere else. The volume intensity is maximized by the steering wheel volume control, and the head unit can’t go above that max volume set by steering wheel. It can go down from there, but not up. It basically disconnects the two volume controls from each other. Hence why I lose control when in iPod. But don’t despair, everything goes back to normal when you get out of CarPlay. The only benefit with this is that it display a volume bar that goes from 0 to 40 (if that can be considered a benefit).

3. When I receive a call when connected to CarPlay and accept the call using the steering wheel button, it goes immediately to HOLD. I have to press the button again to get out of HOLD and then the person calling can hear me. This is a bit annoying.

4. The back button in the steering wheel controls both the Multi-Function Display (MFD) and the Apple CarPlay at the same time. When navigating the MFD, you can see the CarPlay display going back and forth, taking you off where you left it. It would be good to separate the steering wheel back control from Apple CarPlay so that it doesn’t affect it. This is the most annoying aspect so far.

Another quirk I was able to resolve was the provided microphone for Siri not working. I had to install the provided microphone, as my Macan didn’t have voice recognition. I solved that upgrading the Isudar module to the latest version. Reports from others that have voice recognition is that they were able to make the OEM mic already installed work by just selecting the option in setup.

Last edited by Santirx; 11-18-2021 at 07:51 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Santirx:
is9520 (08-29-2021), Kimiiii (03-03-2022), M. Schneider (09-11-2021), MrLArgo (03-20-2023)
Old 08-29-2021, 04:22 PM
is9520
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Santirx
I installed the Ebilaen module in my Macan (it is the same rebranded module as the Isudar... both Isudar and Ebilaen are the same, but rebranded modules).
Will be interesting to understand any difference between delivery, packaging, documentation and support between these alternatives over time. If nought, then where is this unit on Alibaba.....?
Old 08-29-2021, 04:59 PM
Santirx
Racer

Originally Posted by is9520
Will be interesting to understand any difference between delivery, packaging, documentation and support between these alternatives over time. If nought, then where is this unit on Alibaba.....?
If I were to buy it again, I would buy the Isudar module, not the Ebilaen (although as I said both are the same).

The reason is that it seems Isudar (the company) is more responsive. For example, I got a hold of a firmware update through someone that had installed the Isudar, which I installed in my Ebilaen module with no issues. When I asked Ebilaen about the firmware update (after I had already done it) they came back stating that they didn’t have any updates (when I knew there was one already).

Ebilaen responds very quickly to requests, but not sure if they have the pull that Isudar has to get firmware updates and other solutions more timely. Isudar also have their own website and seem to be better organized.

Some more information here: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post17632340

my two cents…

Last edited by Santirx; 08-29-2021 at 05:05 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Santirx:
is9520 (08-29-2021), Michael Saylor (01-04-2022)
Old 08-29-2021, 08:07 PM
dbhajek
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 58 Posts

The Quirks (so far):

1. When in iPod mode and using CarPlay over WiFi, I lose the ability to control volume with the head unit volume ****. However, the steering wheel volume **** works well. I think this is due to the fact that the Ebilaen/Isudar module takes control of the head unit volume control for CarPlay and it wants to control CarPlay volume when you are actually with the iPod.

2. Related to item # 1, when I connect through AUX, then I can control the volume in the head unit, but is different than everywhere else. The volume intensity is maximized by the steering wheel volume control, and the head unit can’t go above that max volume set by steering wheel. It can go down from there, but not up. It basically disconnects the two volume controls from each other. Hence why I lose control when in iPod. But don’t despair, everything goes back to normal when you get out of CarPlay. The only benefit with this is that it display a volume bar that goes from 0 to 40 (if that can be considered a benefit).

3. When I receive a call when connected to CarPlay and accept the call using the steering wheel button, it goes immediately to HOLD. I have to press the button again to get out of HOLD and then the person calling can hear me. This is a bit annoying.

4. The back button in the steering wheel controls both the Multi-Function Display (MFD) and the Apple CarPlay at the same time. When navigating the MFD, you can see the CarPlay display going back and forth, taking you off where you left it. It would be good to separate the steering wheel back control from Apple CarPlay so that it doesn’t affect it. This is the most annoying aspect so far.
number one worries me the most. So your saying every time I want to mess with the volume I have to get out of CarPlay?

Thanks
Bud
Old 08-29-2021, 08:59 PM
Santirx
Racer

Originally Posted by dbhajek
number one worries me the most. So your saying every time I want to mess with the volume I have to get out of CarPlay?

Thanks
Bud
No. If you connect audio via CarPlay AUX, you can control the volume using the PCM volume **** when in CarPlay.

If you have steering wheel volume control, the steering wheel volume does not behave the same as the PCM volume ****. They will both control the volume, but the PCM **** volume will go as high as the volume set by the Steering wheel volume ****.

My statement in # 1 was more related to the way I'm using the module. I connect audio via PCM (not via CarPlay), but I use CarPlay Wireless only to display the CarPlay image in the PCM. I do this because the audio quality via CarPlay AUX is terrible when compared to either PCM wired iPod input or PCM AUX Bluetooth. What I do, I connect to CarPlay via WIFI, then I connect via wired iPod and select iPod input instead of AUX. When I do that, I can't control the volume with the PCM Volume ****. Only with steering wheel. The reason I bring this is because with Joye, I could control volume using PCM volume **** when in this setup.

Most likely you'll be using CarPlay AUX audio input, so that will work well.

I hope this makes sense.
Old 08-29-2021, 10:08 PM
dbhajek
Rennlist Member

No. If you connect audio via CarPlay AUX, you can control the volume using the PCM volume **** when in CarPlay.

If you have steering wheel volume control, the steering wheel volume does not behave the same as the PCM volume ****. They will both control the volume, but the PCM **** volume will go as high as the volume set by the Steering wheel volume ****.

My statement in # 1 was more related to the way I'm using the module. I connect audio via PCM (not via CarPlay), but I use CarPlay Wireless only to display the CarPlay image in the PCM. I do this because the audio quality via CarPlay AUX is terrible when compared to either PCM wired iPod input or PCM AUX Bluetooth. What I do, I connect to CarPlay via WIFI, then I connect via wired iPod and select iPod input instead of AUX. When I do that, I can't control the volume with the PCM Volume ****. Only with steering wheel. The reason I bring this is because with Joye, I could control volume using PCM volume **** when in this setup.

Most likely you'll be using CarPlay AUX audio input, so that will work well.

I hope this makes sense.
thanks, looking forward to the install
Old 08-30-2021, 04:35 AM
Fantasmos
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 39 Posts

The Quirks (so far):

1. When in iPod mode and using CarPlay over WiFi, I lose the ability to control volume with the head unit volume ****. However, the steering wheel volume **** works well. I think this is due to the fact that the Ebilaen/Isudar module takes control of the head unit volume control for CarPlay and it wants to control CarPlay volume when you are actually with the iPod.

Another quirk I was able to resolve was the provided microphone for Siri not working. I had to install the provided microphone, as my Macan didn’t have voice recognition. I solved that upgrading the Ebilaen/Isudar module to the latest version. Reports from others that have voice recognition is that they were able to make the OEM mic already installed work by just selecting the option in setup.
I talked to them about the volume and they replied:

"the volume can't be synchronized, because the two system needs different sound quanlity, the volume will be different. to avoid volume too low or too high after system switch, it can't synchronized"

I am pressing it up, they already sent me an update that fixed some pairing issues with the initial version and I hope they will fix that one too. I don't get it at all why the system hijacks the AUX input, the ISUDAR system doesn't plug at all in the aux and does not require a plug in the aux input in the glove box like the Joye and alike. It's completely through the motherboard. However, it could be better if they can sync the volume and sound settings, there's no reason for any quality loss but lazyness really.

As to number 2 you should check the settings and talk with them, what you're explaining means the wheel is not linked to carplay at all ( the volume **** at least ) so you're controlling the PCM directly, although that might be convenient to sync the volume it can be annoying. I have the sports wheel and that's not an issue for me so I couldn't say really. Same as number 4

On my system Hey siri works through the regular mic, fix that in the settings, I haven't even connected the mic they provided, it stays in the box in the garage.
Old 08-30-2021, 10:43 AM
GT4Kevin
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 50 Posts

Just ordered this for my 981 GT4, says it will be here in a month. I'm in no rush, will update back! Thank you so much for your write up
The following users liked this post:
thedude14 (09-14-2021)
Old 08-30-2021, 11:01 AM
leedo3
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

The Isudar unit sounds like a winner. Does anyone have any experience with the unit using an Android phone and Android Auto?
Also, will these units still provide full functionality when Android Auto goes away with the next operating system update?
Thanks.
Old 08-30-2021, 01:03 PM
Santirx
Racer

Originally Posted by leedo3
The Isudar unit sounds like a winner. Does anyone have any experience with the unit using an Android phone and Android Auto?
Also, will these units still provide full functionality when Android Auto goes away with the next operating system update?
Thanks.
Go to the link I provided in my previous post. User @don16 installed the Isudar module in his Macan and he is using Android Auto. The quirks seems to be agnostic to operating system, they seem to happen with Android Auto as well.
Old 08-30-2021, 08:01 PM
dbhajek
Rennlist Member

next question, can you use CarPlay wired or does it have to be wireless. Would wired sound better?
Old 08-30-2021, 11:32 PM
Santirx
Racer

Originally Posted by dbhajek
next question, can you use CarPlay wired or does it have to be wireless. Would wired sound better?
Wired CarPlay through AUX or Wireless CarPlay AUX audio quality is about the same. The CarPlay module uses PCM AUX. And it is the native PCM AUX, we believe, which is simply not good when compared with wired iPod input or PCM AUXBT audio quality.
Old 08-31-2021, 12:54 PM
Robrall
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for this thread. Just ordered the Isudar kit. It should be here in about four weeks. I’ll post my results.
The following users liked this post:
Kimiiii (11-17-2021)

Quick Reply: Isudar Carplay for PCM 3.1