Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Received my new PIWIS III

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2023 | 03:14 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Your best bet then is to contact Porsche and get a license for PIWIS.

siberian
The following users liked this post:
Viper pilot (01-04-2023)
Old 01-03-2023 | 03:49 PM
Lucifer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by siberian
Your best bet then is to contact Porsche and get a license for PIWIS.

siberian
You are not being very helpful, I must admit.
Asking for information about retrieving a piece of software myself to avoid buying stolen property is a legitimate question.
If, in 84 pages of discussion, this information wasn't shared, or you just don't know, that's fine too. I just don't understand why you feel the need to be sarcastic.
Old 01-03-2023 | 04:00 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

You are asking for FREE software yet you then assume a high and noble position of not wanting to get (since free does not man buy) software of dubious origin. What other free software of non dubious origins marketed for commercial purposes have you gotten lately?

As I said, FREE is what it is and buying a license is what it is. Decide which one you can live with and do that.

siberian
Old 01-03-2023 | 04:35 PM
Lucifer
Burning Brakes

You are asking for FREE software yet you then assume a high and noble position of not wanting to get (since free does not man buy) software of dubious origin. What other free software of non dubious origins marketed for commercial purposes have you gotten lately?

As I said, FREE is what it is and buying a license is what it is. Decide which one you can live with and do that.

siberian
As I told you already, but it seems you have trouble understanding: There is a HUGE difference (morally and LEGALLY) between pirating something for personal use and making a business out of it.
About the "dubious origin" - when I get an unpatched piece of software myself, I can dump it into IDA and see what's going on - and feel more comfortable connecting this software to my $130k car.
When I get a locked computer with a locked BIOS and a non-admin account to use - not so much.
Z06jerry (02-12-2023)
Old 01-03-2023 | 04:38 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

As I said find what you're comfortable with and go with that. Moving on

siberian
Old 01-03-2023 | 05:06 PM
Lucifer
Burning Brakes

As I said find what you're comfortable with and go with that. Moving on

siberian
Still not sure why you even responded to me in the first place. I asked, "is it possible to install Piwis III for free on a new machine" - it is clear you don't want to or just can't help with the asked question.
Old 01-03-2023 | 11:32 PM
Lucifer
Burning Brakes

Great place to start for those who want to do things on their own

https://t-ru.onion.ly/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6022541

Name:  sdnahj8.png
Views: 1542
Size:  1.37 MB
Old 01-04-2023 | 11:31 AM
amphicar770
Racer

Originally Posted by Lucifer
Yes.
There is a difference between pirating a movie to watch in your living room alone (which is also wrong) to pirating a movie to monetize it by screening it in your backyard and selling tickets to the entire neighborhood. Not saying I won't eventually buy a ticket if it is the only place around to see the movie and I don't have any other option - but I don't think it is hard to understand why I would prefer to avoid this if possible.
So, you want to be a software pirate yourself, but think paying a pirate is wrong? Kind of like saying stealing is OK, but buying stolen goods is wrong. A strange sort of moral relativism.

The only fully legal PIWIS license is the one you purchase from Porsche. Downloading it for free from a sketchy bit torrent does not somehow make you more law abiding or righteous than the person who pays to download it.
Old 01-04-2023 | 01:02 PM
Lucifer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by amphicar770
So, you want to be a software pirate yourself, but think paying a pirate is wrong? Kind of like saying stealing is OK, but buying stolen goods is wrong. A strange sort of moral relativism.

The only fully legal PIWIS license is the one you purchase from Porsche. Downloading it for free from a sketchy bit torrent does not somehow make you more law abiding or righteous than the person who pays to download it.
To be perfectly honest, it isn't such a moral thing; I am just disgusted by the audacity some people have to make a business out of something that isn't theirs, it is stolen, and they didn't even steal it themselves! They just take someone else's work and generosity to help the community and charge for it and it is disgusting, and if possible, I don't want to be a part of it.
And just to make it crystal clear - I have zero issues with the people paying to download this or getting help with setting this up. My problem is only with the sellers side.
Old 01-04-2023 | 01:30 PM
FerdinandAG
Instructor

To be perfectly honest, it isn't such a moral thing; I am just disgusted by the audacity some people have to make a business out of something that isn't theirs, it is stolen, and they didn't even steal it themselves! They just take someone else's work and generosity to help the community and charge for it and it is disgusting, and if possible, I don't want to be a part of it.
And just to make it crystal clear - I have zero issues with the people paying to download this or getting help with setting this up. My problem is only with the sellers side.
only thanks to Russian and Chinese hackers, you have the opportunity to work with the software using engineering versions, Chinese VAS6154 and VAS6154 OEM or in any other case, you would have made a trip to a Porsche dealer every time and would have left $ 500 at the checkout.
What you downloaded is real garbage, if your car is dear to you, spend some money and buy high-quality software, if you are as righteous as you write, then 25,000 euro and you will have a piwis kit in your hands, an empty dealer software that you can't do anything with without online access, and if you need full online access to the Porsche server, then add another 23,600 euro per year with taxes. I'm always interested in watching people who feel sorry to spend $ 200-500, but really want to get and own what other people have done, the software that everyone uses here, you won't buy from any Porsche representative, they simply won't sell it to you for any money, unless you get a job as an engineer on a Porsche factory somewhere in Germany, then yes, you will get it for free, along with a laptop in which it will be crypted

Last edited by FerdinandAG; 01-04-2023 at 01:40 PM.
Old 01-04-2023 | 01:40 PM
Lucifer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FerdinandAG
only thanks to Russian and Chinese hackers, you have the opportunity to work with the software using engineering versions, Chinese VAS6154 and VAS6154 OEM or in any other case, you would have made a trip to a Porsche dealer every time and would have left $ 500 at the checkout.
What you downloaded is real garbage, if your car is dear to you, spend some money and buy high-quality software, if you are as righteous as you write, then 25,000 euros and you will have a piwis kit in your hands, an empty dealer software that you can't do anything with without online access, and if you need full online access to the Porsche server, then add another 23,600 euros per year with taxes. I'm always interested in watching people who feel sorry to spend $ 200-500, but really want to get and own what other people have done, the software that everyone uses here, you won't buy from any Porsche representative, they simply won't sell it to you for any money, unless you get a job as an engineer on a Porsche factory somewhere in Germany, then yes, you will get it for free, along with a laptop in which it will be crypted
lmao, garbage? own? what are you talking about? there are hundreds of people selling the exact same thing. do you really think each and every one of them bought it from Porsche for 25k and warezed it? do you think each and every one of them got a job at a dealership and stole it? let me break the news to you - this isn't the case
Old 01-04-2023 | 01:45 PM
FerdinandAG
Instructor

lmao, garbage? own? what are you talking about? there are hundreds of people selling the exact same thing. do you really think each and every one of them bought it from Porsche for 25k and warezed it? do you think each and every one of them got a job at a dealership and stole it? let me break the news to you - this isn't the case
this software is garbage, you can object and try to prove the opposite, but in fact at the moment your knowledge in this matter is zero. If I were you, I would listen to people who understand well how things work in this world, but I see that you don't want to hear, so learn from your mistakesHappy New Year !
Old 01-04-2023 | 01:58 PM
orca15
Pro

Looking for a TL;DR of 84 pages - is it possible to install Piwis III for free on a new machine \ VM and get the other equipment myself? Not a huge fan of the idea of getting hacked piece of software from some Chinese seller
No. That's what they are trying to tell you. The only "non-hacked" PIWIS is the OEM.

Last edited by orca15; 01-04-2023 at 01:59 PM.
Old 01-04-2023 | 02:05 PM
Lucifer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by orca15
No. That's what they are trying to tell you. The only "non-hacked" PIWIS is the OEM.
No. That's not at all what they are trying to tell me. They tell me I can't get a hacked version myself, which I don't believe to be the case, but we will see.
Old 01-04-2023 | 02:18 PM
orca15
Pro

No. That's not at all what they are trying to tell me. They tell me I can't get a hacked version myself, which I don't believe to be the case, but we will see.
OK, you’re the expert. Sorry I tried to help.
amphicar770 (01-04-2023)

Quick Reply: Received my new PIWIS III