Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

Received my new PIWIS III

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2024 | 11:29 AM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

You've already asked this question in the Cayenne Forum...

siberian
Old 04-24-2024 | 12:49 PM
Lostpilot28
AutoX

Hello, I have a P1733 fault for the Distance Sensor in my transmission...first step is that I want to verify there are no other issues and it seems I need a PIWIS 3. I was going down the path of buying a cloned unit from vxdas.com (I see they also sell the VCI with a Solid State hard drive for about half the cost - no laptop included), but I just found an eBay seller who will rent one for a week for $99.

Although I may need to "calibrate" my transmission after the repair (assuming I'm replacing something)...is the rental a good option? It has software version 42.3. I see that clones offer 2 versions (38.2 and 41.5). What is the difference with the versions, or is it something I even need to be concerned with?

For reference, I have a 2017 base Cayman 2.0 with PDK. 77,000 miles. Ran great until 2 days ago and got a "Possible R gear fault Driving permitted" fault on the dash. OBDII with Torque app gave me the P1733...and I'm not getting anything else.
Old 04-24-2024 | 05:28 PM
xcess
4th Gear

Lightbulb

Hey.
Hopefully, asking in this thread won't be considered hijacking of it.
I'm on the look for the most cost-effective option for having PIWIS2/3 working. At this point I do have a virtual machine with PIWIS2 starting, and a laptop with restored image of PIWIS3.
Next, I need to know what's kind of interface cable I need in order to get this working? I've read that a chinese VAS 6154 should do trick. Is that correct?
Old 04-24-2024 | 06:44 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Go back a few pages and read all the details and recommendations-

JB
The following users liked this post:
xcess (04-25-2024)
Old 04-25-2024 | 07:41 AM
djdonte
Pro

Originally Posted by xcess
Hey.
Hopefully, asking in this thread won't be considered hijacking of it.
I'm on the look for the most cost-effective option for having PIWIS2/3 working. At this point I do have a virtual machine with PIWIS2 starting, and a laptop with restored image of PIWIS3.
Next, I need to know what's kind of interface cable I need in order to get this working? I've read that a chinese VAS 6154 should do trick. Is that correct?
Get in touch with @rnlst_log here or on telegram at mhx_log he will set you up.
Old 04-25-2024 | 11:24 AM
Ghostbuster
Track Day

If you have distance sensor fault codes, find out what's not working. May not go in some forward gears or reverse.
May be a pricey fix if you have to take the transm out and fix it. Repair kits are not readily available.
in AZ there is an outfit who repairs it, they will need the car though, new/ rebuilt Porsche transmission is also an option.
You would be well advised to find a professional Porsche shop with an existing Piwis3.
Distance sensor codes are somewhat known problems, and reliable codes. Save your coins !!!
Old 04-25-2024 | 02:16 PM
Ghostbuster
Track Day

Old 04-25-2024 | 02:27 PM
Puckos
7th Gear

Coming from VAG platform and fiddling with BMW lately, cant possibly believe Piwis is so slow in comparison with the other manufacturers software. From what i can gather my crappy 6154 may be the culprit and thus i don't have any trust into coding anything.

Will invest in T6PT3G and a fresh dual boot PIWIS setup. What version is the most complete with English Engineering mode? Is there any possibility to rent PPN by the hour like Erwin?
Old 04-25-2024 | 02:30 PM
djdonte
Pro

I agree. PIWIS is frustratingly slow. Engineering mode will always be in German, as its mainly meant for R&D. You can rent a PIWIS 3 on ebay for a week,

🔥 7 Day Rental, Porsche Piwis 3 Piwis3 v. 42.300 Programmer like Durametric | eBay
Old 04-25-2024 | 04:26 PM
Puckos
7th Gear

Wish we had this kind of service here. I leave in Athens, Greece and there are not any services like this in the whole EU. I am asking about PPN access, as in VAG you can rent 1hr, 24hr access to Erwin which is basically the same thing for Audi, VW etc.

Last edited by Puckos; 04-25-2024 at 04:28 PM.
Old 04-25-2024 | 04:33 PM
Lostpilot28
AutoX

Originally Posted by djdonte
I agree. PIWIS is frustratingly slow. Engineering mode will always be in German, as its mainly meant for R&D. You can rent a PIWIS 3 on ebay for a week,

🔥 7 Day Rental, Porsche Piwis 3 Piwis3 v. 42.300 Programmer like Durametric | eBay
I just ordered the rental on eBay...it's version 42.3, so I hope that works for me. I'm planning on confirming the P1733 issue, and making sure there isn't anything else. The weird Possible R gear fault Driving permitted message throws me for a loop.
Old 04-26-2024 | 03:33 PM
xcess
4th Gear

This thread's been of great help to me. I've got working PIWIS3 and while waiting for the interface cable I'm trying to figure out the functionality of the software. Right now I'm testing out the guided fault finding. I can select model, type and year, but afterwards the control unit and fault code fields are greyed out. Is that normal? I reckon it could be because there's no car connected to the diagnostic, but I'm not sure. Thank you in advance.
Old 04-26-2024 | 03:35 PM
djdonte
Pro

The software doesnt do much if its not connected to a car. There is a simulation mode somewhere though.
Old 04-27-2024 | 09:35 PM
BobEisenberg
Intermediate

Default Trailer hitch coding

Greetings Rennlisters. About to install a Porsche trailer hitch on my new-to-me 9YO Turbo. Coding will be needed so it works the trailer lights properly and maybe so it won’t interfere with the Park Assist while a trailer is attached. I’m considering buying a PIWIS III device to do the coding and for future maintenance on the car. Anyone done this coding on an E3 Cayenne?? if not, I may buy a simpler OBDII device to use for basic maintenance going forward and let the dealer do this coding. Thx in advance!
Old 05-01-2024 | 11:25 PM
IraceRN
Rennlist Member

I have a PIWIS 3 VAS 6154 clone, and I got it to work. My main reason for getting it was to clear an airbag light and reprogram a few things, but I'm a little lost. I thought I read I need to do everything offline in developer mode. Is that true? I ask because I also read that despite changing the language to US English, everything in developer mode is in German. I don't have reception in my garage, so I can't really do the Google Translate trick on my phone. Do I have to be in developer mode to clear the airbag and change the in-headlights signals from incandescent to LEDs?

I bought a 982 steering wheel that I am using with a new airbag and GPSadapter on my 981. All the functions are working except the double pull on the paddles to get neutral and the joker/program button. Again, everything else works. The airbag light is on, and I tried to buy the iCarSoft scan tool to clear the airbags, but that didn't work. I tried to clear the fault codes on PIWIS 3, but it gave me an error (see pic). I don't know if the 982 airbag needs to be coded/programed to my car, since it is a different style or different airbag all together. I don't know if my airbag is just a bad airbag or how to tell. I weld, have done engine swaps, built turbo kits, flashed ECUTEKs, installed Haltech units, etc, DIYer type, but wiring and wiring diagnostic stuff is bit over my head most of the time unless someone gives me a tutorial.

The other thing I want to do is reprogram the headlight turn signals to be LED instead of incandescent. I read that you can do that (Reddit confirmed), but there was no tutorial. I don't know if programming them just clears the warning lights, or if it also stops the hyper-blinking.

Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: Received my new PIWIS III