GT350

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 11:33 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
Attachment 1080523

Oh, come on Para, "harden the F up". Ran two track days this weekend in 96 degree 80% humidity. Don't see any AC in that buggy do you? Get that bad boy to the track.

A friend took me out in his 991GT3. Holy crap the speed and pace that thing carries with half the effort of my TA3!. I was duly impressed.
Haha I did the whole heat wave track days last summer in my Boss 302 LS - had a great time, but i'm just looking for excuses to trim the excess spending at this point and 98F and 100% humidity is enough for me.

Sept 30th i'm back.

That Boss 302 looks insane.
Old 08-15-2016, 11:49 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 813 Likes on 427 Posts

Honestly don't blame you. It was brutal.

Waiting until September now too.
Old 08-15-2016, 11:59 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,476 Likes on 5,033 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
The only thing that turns me off about the Corvette is that they are everywhere. That doesn't mean they aren't really good cars, as the numbers tell me they must be. I just prefer a bit more exclusivity with my toys.
While I tend to agree with you, it's not really an accurate nor fair criticism of the Corvette.

After all, the same could be said of our GT3, which for all intents and purposes and more importantly to hoi polloi, is just another 911, which are sort of common (relatively speaking). While the enthusiasts understand that the GT3 is really a different breed of the 911, if not an entirely different species, the rest of the 99% know no such distinction.

Same with the base C7 Corvette versus this Grand Sport.

(Same argument holds, by the way, for the GT4/Cayman versus the GS/Corvette.)

The Grand Sport is a pretty special car from everything I know about it. About 90% of the performance of a Z06, without the heat soak problems.
Old 08-16-2016, 03:10 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
While I tend to agree with you, it's not really an accurate nor fair criticism of the Corvette.

After all, the same could be said of our GT3, which for all intents and purposes and more importantly to hoi polloi, is just another 911, which are sort of common (relatively speaking). While the enthusiasts understand that the GT3 is really a different breed of the 911, if not an entirely different species, the rest of the 99% know no such distinction.

The Grand Sport is a pretty special car from everything I know about it. About 90% of the performance of a Z06, without the heat soak problems.
At least where I live Vettes outnumber 911's 20 to 1, at least. Not saying it isn't a good car, but people do recognize that the GT3 is special. Different strokes!
Old 08-16-2016, 08:36 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,824 Likes on 948 Posts

At least where I live Vettes outnumber 911's 20 to 1, at least. !
1 to 1 in my area for latest gen of each.
Old 08-16-2016, 10:52 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ipse dixit

I'm no Corvette expert but a friend of mine was with us at the track this weekend and he is in C group with HOD who we were running with. He a very fast and good. He is running a Z06 with the Z07 package. 6 speed. Gorgeous and FAST! It was 96 degrees and 80% humidity. He was running with his AC on! He had one or two episodes where the car shut off the AC due to heat but no limp mode. If the car was going to heat soak and collapse into heat mode this past weekend would have been the weekend.

He loves the car. There were two Z06s there and two GT350 there.

Most of the issues are with the auto trans Z06s. There are fixes too. He told me Chevy has done some cooling mods for 2017 that should solve all the issues.

Again, I love Mustangs. Bang for the buck you can't beat them. But once you start getting over $80K I would look elsewhere other than a GT350. You can't beat that Z06 or Grand Sport for that kind of money.

And I do agree that compared to GT3's Corvettes are like cow pies in Cow pasture. You see them everywhere. Would be a negative on the column in the decision process for sure but you could over come that with color choice and options etc...
Old 08-16-2016, 01:00 PM
Checkmate
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 45 Posts

I'm no Corvette expert but a friend of mine was with us at the track this weekend and he is in C group with HOD who we were running with. He a very fast and good. He is running a Z06 with the Z07 package. 6 speed. Gorgeous and FAST! It was 96 degrees and 80% humidity. He was running with his AC on! He had one or two episodes where the car shut off the AC due to heat but no limp mode. If the car was going to heat soak and collapse into heat mode this past weekend would have been the weekend.

He loves the car. There were two Z06s there and two GT350 there.

Most of the issues are with the auto trans Z06s. There are fixes too. He told me Chevy has done some cooling mods for 2017 that should solve all the issues.

Again, I love Mustangs. Bang for the buck you can't beat them. But once you start getting over $80K I would look elsewhere other than a GT350. You can't beat that Z06 or Grand Sport for that kind of money.

And I do agree that compared to GT3's Corvettes are like cow pies in Cow pasture. You see them everywhere. Would be a negative on the column in the decision process for sure but you could over come that with color choice and options etc...
Agreed. GM's choice in putting a SC on the LT1 gives the car mucho grunt but at the expense of it getting really hot under the hood.

Curious to see the changes in store for the 2017MY for the Z06.

As much as many would like to own the GT3, it is simply out of reach for many at a price (closer to $200-$300k) once taxes are thrown in.

GT350,Vettes and Vipers are Hero cars for how it can be attainable for folks. That being said, yes you will see many more of them but its not any less special.

Having driven the C7 Z06, it is a car that plasters a perma grin on one's face for how insane the speeds are!
Old 08-16-2016, 01:41 PM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by PcarFL
Great story and ending... I am thinking of same color and have a good line on one out of state... Is it almost a navy? Heavy metallic?
Thanks. Yeah, I guess you could call it Navy. But Deep Impact Blue is one of those colors that changes depending on the lighting. Out in the sun the metallic is very visible and the color is quite striking. In the shade, the color of blue looks much darker. It's best if you can see one in person.

Deep Impact Blue has been discontinued for the 2017's, replaced with Lightning Blue. I love both colors for different reasons and would be happy with either.
Old 08-16-2016, 02:10 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Checkmate
Agreed. GM's choice in putting a SC on the LT1 gives the car mucho grunt but at the expense of it getting really hot under the hood.

Curious to see the changes in store for the 2017MY for the Z06.

As much as many would like to own the GT3, it is simply out of reach for many at a price (closer to $200-$300k) once taxes are thrown in.

GT350,Vettes and Vipers are Hero cars for how it can be attainable for folks. That being said, yes you will see many more of them but its not any less special.

Having driven the C7 Z06, it is a car that plasters a perma grin on one's face for how insane the speeds are!
While the Vipers, Vettes and Mustangs are special in their own rights they are just not perceived in the "social strata or with the same degree as "specialness" (is that even a word?) as Porsches, Macs, Ferraris, Lambos etc...There is an additional "specialness" to Porsches, Macs, Ferraris, Lambos that is missing from the others. MHO. Its a result of being more attainable for the average Joe that keeps them from that "club". Doesn't mean they aren't special or don't perform. Look at the GT350R, ACR and Z06 performance envelopes. Speical yes. But are they as "special". No.

Waiting for it, waiting for it....
Old 08-16-2016, 02:15 PM
SuperPenguin
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While the Vipers, Vettes and Mustangs are special in their own rights they are just not perceived in the "social strata or with the same degree as "specialness" (is that even a word?) as Porsches, Macs, Ferraris, Lambos etc...There is an additional "specialness" to Porsches, Macs, Ferraris, Lambos that is missing from the others. MHO.

Waiting for it, waiting for it....
It's funny to, because sometimes it's misapplied. The Boxster I bought to race was $25k and I still get "Wow you have a Porsche!" all the time. I think Demuro had an article a while back about how that perception follows a car even when you can get one dirt cheap.
Old 08-16-2016, 03:27 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by SuperPenguin
It's funny to, because sometimes it's misapplied. The Boxster I bought to race was $25k and I still get "Wow you have a Porsche!" all the time. I think Demuro had an article a while back about how that perception follows a car even when you can get one dirt cheap.
Zactly.

The impression driving up to a restaurant and the valet in a Viper is different from that with a GT3, F car, Mac etc...

Just is.

Snob factor maybe?
Old 08-16-2016, 06:22 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

You take your lady out in the Porsche, you take your ***** out in the GT350
Old 08-16-2016, 07:44 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by Para82
You take your lady out in the Porsche, you take your ***** out in the GT350
If it is a GT3, you take out both lol.
Old 08-16-2016, 07:55 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

If it is a GT3, you take out both lol.
Zactly again.

I have to say I love my Mustangs. I take my wife out in the Boss LS alot. Its a great performer and FUN to drive. The V8 sound with the lopey idle and side exhaust dumps is intoxicating. Its a Boss 302 so the "cool" factor is definitely there.

If we are going somewhere upscale we take the Range Rover or the RS. Yeah, there is a little of the "Grey Poupon" and "look at me" factor at work. Just a little.

Old 08-16-2016, 10:37 PM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This thread needs more new track videos of GT350's. Who's going to put some MPSC2's on an non-R to see how close they can get to an R? Maybe some GT4/GT3/GT350 track action with equally matched drivers who know what they're doing.

Para - you missed out on the Sept Barber event. It's sold out already, but the waiting list is short. NOLA has PCA and NASA coming up in Oct.

Quick Reply: GT350